Author Topic: What IS killing the game?  (Read 63981 times)

Offline Preston

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Preston
  • Side: Union
Re: What IS killing the game?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 02:40:59 am »
Dunno

Offline ChaBoy

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: #ChaBoyisGOAT2015
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 06:37:49 am »
I think the problem is that people are not as interested in older games about history that take patience and tactics and more interested in the next COD that is coming out.
I am the GOAT

AntonioTheWorstAtMelee

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2014, 05:48:24 pm »
boring old game that people are getting tired of (just because you have guns and linebattles doesn't mean people will be wowed for much longer than huscarl shields and maces)

look at native, maybe 200 active NA players at peak hours.  it happens to everything, Ive played since beta native, that died out/became boring for the majority and then we moved to cRPG.  cRPG to MM/NW (cRPG is not as big as it used to be, but having a lot more interest potential with armors/weapons/strategus etc keeps it alive. compared to boring ol' unchanging NW)  and now NW is dying.  No way to change it without dev support/better community because okay big sale woo, brings in new players while older ones like me go to play native/project reality/clash of clans/whatever because NW is boring now.

(ive played everything MB since original, don't argue with the patterns of this game)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:50:21 pm by AntonioTheWorstAtMelee »

Offline Salt

• Major
  • We really out here
    • View Profile
  • Nick: bless
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 07:42:27 pm »
I think the problem is that people are not as interested in older games about history that take patience and tactics and more interested in the next COD that is coming out.

I'd agree with that. The game is not appealing to the masses in my opinion. It takes patience to become good at the game, and the appeal of a linebattle is for a rather small group of people.

Also, go Browns.  ;D
I'm the reincarnated Who- with no talent.

Offline Macca

• Come on you Rangers!
  • Major
  • yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2014, 04:27:19 am »
If you ask me, NW's not worth being a DLC in my opinion. If I wasn't a 24/7 MM player, I wouldn't have paid for NW, it's not worth it.

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:18 pm »
If you ask me, NW's not worth being a DLC in my opinion. If I wasn't a 24/7 MM player, I wouldn't have paid for NW, it's not worth it.

I've pumped in 1500 hours to NW, i'd say its worth it.

The game isn't dying as fast as some people say. Regiments at the moment are bigger than they have been in a long time (at least for NA). The only real thing that is killing this game is the gradual transition of the NA community becoming almost entirely troll infested

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 09:36:48 pm »
To be honest, sales aren't going to help. It might start a short influx for a bit but that's about it. Plus, the majority of people who buy games during the sales just buy it because it's cheap, but either never ever play it, or play it briefly. And with NW being a DLC, a lot of people will overlook playing it entirely.

YouTubers are definitely the biggest influx. It's one of those games that once you see gameplay, you know you have to play it, and next thing you know, you're leading a regiment. lul. #mystory #realtalk

Anyway, getting good YouTubers into the game is a good idea. Just a couple LPers to make one vid each, and that's already a major increase in players. It also demands the regiments of the community to recruit, otherwise people will play, and people will go.

I've always thought a collaboration channel of some of the most charismatic, funny, and entertaining community members, with the support of the rest of the community (YouTube works so that big YouTubers get bigger) would eventually get people attracted to the game long term. As long as these people don't directly advertise regiments and stuff (just for it being unfair), it would benefit everyone.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:26 pm »
Anyone who knows me well enough can guess my answer.

The reason the (EU at least) community is dying is that regiments are dying.

The base of the community is regiments, just look at this forum, but regiments are starting to fail. A year ago we went through (for a few months) what the 67th called the regimental recession. Regiments struggled and the balance of power tipped. People lost interest in regiments and so left and in order to make up for losses certain regiments made drastic actions such as poaching (which almost killed my regiment until I changed leadership style). By the end of this event EU1 was inactive. Many major regiments such as the 88th and 91st had disbanded, and many smaller regiments had formed that died within a week.

This was a result of a boredom of regiments, ultimately damaging regiments and the base of the community. This is continuing to degrade the community, look at the size of the Saturday linebattle now. People may believe battle cry of freedom will fix the community but I think it will most likely develop its own community consisting of mainly NA members and a few old NW community members. It is its own game that is more appealing to NA and won't save NW.

I can't think of a solution is there is one to the dying community.
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 03:06:53 pm »
Like I said, there isn't much you can do but conserve what little is left and try and get back the few who might be interested in coming back now.

You could always try a petition to lower the cost of the DLC on STEAM. It could perhaps work?

Offline Herishey

• Head Moderator
  • Actual 1v1-10v10 Champion.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 5x NWWC Champ Mbozz/Gontanker/Nut
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 03:08:43 pm »
Not a bad idea.
I won lots of things, I came 2nd and 3rd in lots of things, I guess I did some other shit too........ I'm also an FSE legend, probably most commonly described as a cunt. If the shit I do doesn't make sense in your head, well fuck you because it makes sense in mine.

Which i did, against known and reputed player, some of them considered legend, such as, Mandarin, Ledger, Tiberias, Herishey, Hokej, Troister, Axiom, Evanovic, Stark, Eddie, Jammo, Bagins, Freddie, Python. I didn't had a good relationship with most of them, but i congratulate them for what they did, and i had pleasure facing them.

Offline 5arge

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 04:33:20 pm »
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
it seems that the person on the wrong end of 5arge always seems to get the punishment.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 05:27:51 pm »
That was the tone of the previous thread, and sadly it is sort of true. Event activity, server population and general forum activity outside the regiments spam section have steadily declined since the new year.

Like I briefly stated before to improve the situation:

Strong dedicated player run STEAM groups for mods and events with mature people managing them.
A general burying of the hatchet reguarding community ills and trolling.
A stronger sense of community on the forums especially with BOTH time zones.
A line battle map pack and other attempts at keeping events fresh and interesting.
The return of regiment led pubbie regiments.
Bigger regiments encouraging some of their numbers to go Independent.
An attempt with a petition a lower pricing of the DLC.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 05:29:23 pm by SeanBeansShako »

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 05:33:43 pm »
Mods, while great, will break up the game. From personal experience, a lot of my old regimental pals went totally inactive due to North & South, and some regiments, including my own, had been shattered into small, inactive groupings. Mods are going to slow stuff down for now, as great as they are. They need their own communities.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 05:45:32 pm »
Older games go out of fashion, that's just how it goes. NW's still doing damn well given that the engine is 5 years old (and was far from top of the line even then).
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline TheRedRedcoat

• First Lieutenant
  • uhh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: u
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:18 pm »
1. This game has a high learning curve in my opinion. Yes, you might say that it's just a matter of clicking, but the combat system is easy to learn, hard to master. It turns new players off because they kind of get wrecked on all of the servers they go on, especially Official_NA_1 where you have to wait 5 minutes to respawn.
2. No advertisement. I found this game in November 2012 in the related videos for a Prince of Macedon Total War commentary. I had NEVER seen this game before that. Kind of says something. People need to learn about this game.
3. Players that have played forever are getting bored. We haven't had a single update since the sailor one, which had so much potential. THINK OF ALL THE THINGS THAT COULD BE PUT IN THROUGH AN UPDATE. More units, ships with cannons, better skins, new maps, more factions (Sweden, Ottomans, Spain, USA).

I really don't think the price has anything to do with it. It only costs like $10. Someone who has a $3000 gaming PC isn't going to shirk from buying this DLC because of its price.