Author Topic: Best Dressed Warrior  (Read 81051 times)

Online John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Best Dressed Warrior
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2016, 06:48:53 pm »
I will have a look later, however when I was working at City Of London School they had a few speakers in at the anniversary of Waterloo and I asked a couple of them and they both said the same thing, which is that regiments the regiments that were given a white-red/white-black uniform were for achievements however its as you say, alot of regiments received white-purple uniforms just for a failed experiment.

I will have a look when I get home, maybe I was mis informed but I have had no reason to think otherwise so hey ho
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:55:29 pm by John Price »
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Frederik

• Donator
  • Never forget 03.09.2015 #freeturin
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #376 on: November 23, 2016, 11:21:36 am »
I thought Napoleon tried to reintroduce white uniforms because France had not enough blue dye because of the engloch blockade?
ich will dich für android
He's a well-known nationalist with no respect for actual history or historians.
For a second I thought you were talking about me. :3

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 23, 2016, 10:08:39 pm »
Not sure if the dye was that hard to get by, because obviously they eventually succeeded in procuring the substance, but white uniforms are cheaper.

Offline Frederik

• Donator
  • Never forget 03.09.2015 #freeturin
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 24, 2016, 08:12:51 am »
I think they found a new dye in southern france, but I am not sure.
ich will dich für android
He's a well-known nationalist with no respect for actual history or historians.
For a second I thought you were talking about me. :3

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #379 on: November 24, 2016, 09:02:03 am »
The Conseil d'Etat discussed a colour of the Grand Armee's colours, as indigo dye was expensive and was shipped from Britain. Napoleon said: "It would be no small economy to dress the troops in white, though it may be said, truly enough, that they have succeeded pretty well in blue. I don't think, however, that their strength lies in the colours of their coats, as that of Samson did with the length of his hair." Other considerations against having white uniforms were how filthy they could get during campaign and the blood they'd show . It was just a failed experiment to cope with the hard-to-come-by indigo dye.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 25, 2016, 01:53:51 am »
Other considerations against having white uniforms were how filthy they could get during campaign

I've seen this argument before, and I honestly doubt this. It didn't concern the Dutch, Spanish or Austrians, and every uniform gets filthy after a month of campaigning, regardless of uniform colour. Uniforms were horrible quality wool anyway. The fact that it was a lot of work to keep the uniforms clean and mend them when they tore was considered totally normal and just another task of soldiers.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #381 on: November 27, 2016, 12:17:05 am »
Other considerations against having white uniforms were how filthy they could get during campaign
and every uniform gets filthy after a month of campaigning,

Make that one day =D
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 27, 2016, 07:31:36 pm »
There's 'some dirt on my uniform' and then there's 'a filthy uniform'. Uniforms changing colour or rotting away while they were worn was not uncommon.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #383 on: November 27, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »
Mud would show up more on white uniforms rather than indigo uniforms, yes?

AeroNinja

« Reply #384 on: November 27, 2016, 09:35:51 pm »
I really do like Ratonhnhaké;ton's outfit. (Connor Kenway)

I already did like the Assassin outfits and the Mohawk Native American style really gave a nice touch to it.

It's fantasy ofcourse, but I think it's really awesome.

Note*: Big images
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #385 on: November 27, 2016, 11:29:43 pm »
Mud would show up more on white uniforms rather than indigo uniforms, yes?

The contrast between mud and white is far greater than between indigo and mud. So yes, from a distance it would stand out more. From up close? I'd think it would be about the same.

But as brought up before, keeping your uniform clean and pristine was considered part of a soldier's duty. So in theory, mud on uniforms wouldn't be an issue. In theory at least.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 11:31:47 pm by joer5835 »
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 28, 2016, 01:49:20 am »
But the sheer amount of nature a uniform would experience during a campaign makes the outcome for any uniform the same: eventually, it will look like shit. Of course, verybody wore greatcoats during campaigns anyway. Uniform coats were only worn for battle, and in that short period a white uniform would probably look dirtier then a blue one. Regardless, I don't see how it would bother the French while not bothering the Dutch, Spanish, Austrians or Saxons.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #387 on: November 29, 2016, 01:32:06 am »
This is a soldier from the 23rd SS Volunteer Panzer Grenadier Division Nederland. It was a unit composed of Dutch volunteers who wanted to join the Germany Army (duh). They were paired with Flemish volunteers to form the Regiment Westland while Nordic volunteers were made into the Regiment Nordland. The vast majority of the volunteers joined to help stop the spread of Bolshevism and the horror of what we know as 'communism'. They saw most, if not all of their front-line combat on the Eastern front participating in many crucial battles from Leningrad to the Battle of Halbe where they surrendered to U.S. forces. Due to the surrender to civilized Western troops, many did not have to be taken off to Russia to meet their ultimate demise. I find their sacrifice and willingness to stop a truly evil ideology as heroic. I will not excuse that they fought for Nazi Germany but I believe that for many of them it was something along the lines of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' sort of thing. I was very interested to find that the Netherlands played in an active role in stopping Communism and the horrors it has brought this world.

He's distinguishable for his patch located under the Reichsadler (Imperial Eagle) which is a Dutch National Sleeve.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler

[close]
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #388 on: November 29, 2016, 06:22:50 pm »
And do you like them so much for what they did or for what they wore?
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #389 on: November 29, 2016, 08:03:01 pm »
And do you like them so much for what they did or for what they wore?
More so because of what they did for Western Civilization. They still have pretty standard uniforms for the most part, but I like the subtle changes such as the armband and nation sleeve to help them stand out a little bit.
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]