Author Topic: What's your next buy?  (Read 106180 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: What's your next buy?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2013, 04:55:21 pm »
Thats why its awasome to have photogrpahs.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »
Thats why its awasome to have photogrpahs.

Tell me more about how US volunteer re-enactors don't sport kepis when portraying privates.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 05:09:35 pm »
Well im not saying it cures farb it allows research to be far more accurate. Wonder what your unit wore and how they wore it? Look at a photograph.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 05:28:42 pm »
So why are so many Hardcore re-enactors against moustaches? I'm yet to find a photograph of more then 5 ACW re-enactors all clean shaven.

Why are people still wearing trousers-in-socks?

Why are many CS Cavalry re-enactors even wearing uniforms while there are photographs of an entire Virginia cavalry regiment in civilian drab?

Doesn't matter if the research is easy, if nobody follows it you are still a long way from home.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:43 pm »
So why are so many Hardcore re-enactors against moustaches? I'm yet to find a photograph of more then 5 ACW re-enactors all clean shaven.

Why are many CS Cavalry re-enactors even wearing uniforms while there are photographs of an entire Virginia cavalry regiment in civilian drab?

Doesn't matter if the research is easy, if nobody follows it you are still a long way from home.

Moustache? Dafuq Duuring? where did you get that? facial hair is considered as a godly thing to have in this period. Reenactors love it when men grow facial hair! And 1st VA Cavalry did wear uniform. Look 'em up. Cavalry do have uniforms Duuring, the offical one in the army roll. The civillians  you speak of are guerillas, not offically in the army roll. They were considered as war criminal to the union eye and which mean death penalty period.  There is a difference between Guerrilas/Rangers/partsian cavalry and "Army" cavalry.   But Guerillas do sometime have their own uniforms like Missouri Bushwhackers had battleshirts, and Mosby's Rangers definately had uniforms 

Mosby Rangers
[close]

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 07:52:49 pm »
Eventually I wanna have a moustache for re-enacting, show I'm a manly veteran of France!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2013, 07:58:46 pm »

Moustache? Dafuq Duuring? where did you get that? facial hair is considered as a godly thing to have in this period. Reenactors love it when men grow facial hair! And 1st VA Cavalry did wear uniform. Look 'em up. Cavalry do have uniforms Duuring, the offical one in the army roll. The civillians  you speak of are guerillas, not offically in the army roll. They were considered as war criminal to the union eye and which mean death penalty period.  There is a difference between Guerrilas/Rangers/partsian cavalry and "Army" cavalry.   But Guerillas do sometime have their own uniforms like Missouri Bushwhackers had battleshirts, and Mosby's Rangers definately had uniforms 

Mosby Rangers
[close]

The 1st VA was ONE regiment, origined from pre-war militia and is considered pretty elite just because their uniform. that's what every ACW guy has told me so far.

Spoiler

[close]

I believe this was the 5th VA, but I could be mistaken. A Virginia cavalry regiment nonetheless. You may spot a few forage caps here and there, but civilian drap is the standard. I think this was taken in '63.

Mr T, moustaches were not as popular with the French army as people like to believe. Sadly we don't have photographs, but facial hair was apparently increasingly out of fashion in the Napoleonic period. It was even forbidden in the NL army.

If you still want to, don't grow a filthy big mustache. If you really want to grow one I can give you some portraits and paintings which shows the apparently preferred 'light' mustache.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:01:39 pm by Duuring »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2013, 08:01:14 pm »
I remember hearing that Napoleon started to have dislikes towards moustaches, even ordering his guardsmen to shave them off, which not many of 'em did :D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:56 pm »
It's all about status.

It seems that the military followed fashion slowly, but you really can't re-enact a civilian with a moustache. Well, you can, but you'd be terribly out of fashion.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:35 pm »
Regular CS regs wore uniforms. With some civilian elements but only iregulars would not have worn uniforms. I also have heard nothing but praise for facial hair in reenacting.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:24 pm »
So you are actually saying this photograph is incorrect?

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2013, 08:24:14 pm »
Duuring, I am seeing like 6-7 guys in civvies drabs, and 20 guys in shell jacket and forage/farmer hat. A typical uniform of Confederate army.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:31 pm »
Duuring, I am seeing like 6-7 guys in civvies drabs, and 20 guys in shell jacket and forage/farmer hat. A typical uniform of Confederate army.

So that's about 1/3 of the guys in a single regiment. Two years into the war. How can anyone claim 'they didn't wear civilian drabs', if there are clearly some?

My point of all this isn't about the specific uniform, but that even photographs are not something that are not discussable or always reliable. Everybody just kept on their statements even after I showed piccies who prove that they did.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:31:47 pm by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »
That was your point? Well i will make it easy. Farbs Duuring, you have been looking at the farbs. They dont represent the hobby. Quit looking at the goddamn farbs and check the hardcores or mainstreams guys out. I could say i see so many goddamn colors and uniform in single napoleon ranks at reenactments. But I never will let them represent the real hobby itself because I know there are better one out there and I would follow them for historical acccuracy and research. I follow the Liberty rifles because they really do get to the point and accuracy through report and photographs. And they are considered one of the best civil war reenactment group among other great progressives unit. There are even more amazing folks than Liberty Rifles out there who can show us amazing research.  If LR was to do a 5th VA cavalry impression for a scenario, they would say 10% of men can wear civvies clothes, and 90% of men can wear typical Army of Northern Virginia Impression. Photographs are really helpful if you use them the right way.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2013, 08:38:46 pm »
But both you and Millander were just throwing arguments at me proving the opposite.

And yes, you see many different uniforms and colours because there WERE many different uniforms and colours.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:40:38 pm by Duuring »