Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 234688 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #2040 on: May 23, 2018, 11:40:06 pm »
Can we please keep our cool and not lose ourselves in the bad feelings?

I really do not try and speak for the Dutch 85e, I feel as much involved with you guys as with them, maybe overreach of mine with your group. It really feels to me that Sean is acting like a lone wolf on this one and he really doesn't have the support of the 85e. I have ehard nobody about it anyway.

Literally the only thing people say about you that is negative is that you are sometimes a bit careless, like litter around the place and not cleaning your rifles. For the rest I have never heard about any significant problems.
I'll gently bring this up at Bourtange in two weeks. I really don't like getting into politics about this inter-group pettiness but this is shit I care about. I had hoped everything could be a little more mature (not pointing fingers here, before people feel offended) about all this. Apparently not.

Indeed Willy is not from Dutch 85e but he is someone who holds significant sway in the Dutch 85e.

And as I said, but omitted to say clearly, I hope I may be amongst the people who could still do events with you in the future if you guys would want me.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 24, 2018, 12:03:01 am »
It really feels to me that Sean is acting like a lone wolf on this one and he really doesn't have the support of the 85e. I have ehard nobody about it anyway.

So do we, yet at the same time nobody seems to mind. Besides, he is an elected board member so he does have the mandate. In the last two days we have all sorts of different reasons for the decision not to grant me membership. At this point, I don't even know what to believe or who to trust.
I had hoped everything could be a little more mature

I get what it looks like, but trust me that we have tried everything. I don't see how we could have been any more mature.

I'll gently bring this up at Bourtange in two weeks

Apparantly the latest plan is to 'talk around the campfire' at Bourtange. Somehow, it still hasn't dawn on the Dutch 85e that the decision has already been taken. We're not coming back.

And as I said, but omitted to say clearly, I hope I may be amongst the people who could still do events with you in the future if you guys would want me

Of course.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:05:41 am by Duuring »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: May 24, 2018, 12:23:04 am »
I still strongly disagree with this kind of conduct, which I will bring up to Sean and the rest of the 85e. This shit cannot just fly
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: May 24, 2018, 12:29:49 am »
Just don't get Casperized.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2044 on: May 24, 2018, 12:39:52 am »
Sean will just cross his arms an with his entire body posture say "NO" Talking to him will yield nothing.

Besides, after Christine suggested talking around the campfire about the whole thing, I told her that this will only happen if there is a chance for Casper to become a member. She did not directly say "No", but she tried to talk around it.
I think she still thinks that we will somehow accept the fact that Casper will not become a member and work together with them again.

What she forgets is that there is absolutely NOTHING to be gained from a cooperation at this point. The 85th does completely different style of reenactment compare to us. And since they clearly do not want to change their drill to something more authentic, there is nothing to be gained from them. I am surely not going to do something wrong if I know it is. I said it some time ago, if I ever participate with a unit that does something wrong (and I am noticing it) I will tell them, wether they like it or not. If they do not change it, I will simply leave, I am no longer going to accept doing stuff wrong for the sake of forming a larger unit.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 12:49:22 am by Olafson »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 24, 2018, 01:09:11 pm »
As we've discovered down under, sometimes it is for the best for all involved just to give up trying to find an amicable solution. We have had, and are currently having, a similar split within the scene here. Primarily (like your 85e project) being led by the youth. We've tried working within the established command here but it has just proved hopeless....I mean just as an example my British unit did a weird combination of 1764 and Australian army drill since the 1970's. We raised this as an issue a number of years ago and to this day the proper drill has not been implemented...meanwhile a bunch of us just went ahead and did our own thing within the unit..ordering what is probably the first batch of Kochan & Phillips wool to ever enter the country and we constructed our own Coatee's. It's hard, as no doubt you guys are experiencing, but it's better to know your doing something right. You're fighting against a very 'comfortable, petty and well established' system after all.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:51:01 pm by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 24, 2018, 05:16:13 pm »
Your remark on drill reminds me that there is actually plenty to complain about over the Dutch 85e. Wrong drill, fantasy uniforms and bad firearms drill. Too often we see new Dutch 85ers doing the incredibly dangerous 'lean-back' when firing their guns. We actually adressed this, and recieved a whole list of angry remarks from Sean.

DAYDRINKING!!!!1

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 24, 2018, 05:41:19 pm »
Weird. I never get those kinds of remarks.

It's weird in the few events that I have been with the 85e they come across as a very amicable and safety-oriented group...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:50:11 pm by Riddlez »

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 24, 2018, 05:58:05 pm »
Sad story. Will still portray the 85e or change the regiment/ or Bataillon within the regiment to mark the split?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 24, 2018, 09:35:33 pm »
Please, why would we change. We will stay the 85eme.

As we've discovered down under, sometimes it is for the best for all involved just to give up trying to find an amicable solution. We have had, and are currently having, a similar split within the scene here. Primarily (like your 85e project) being led by the youth. We've tried working within the established command here but it has just proved hopeless....I mean just as an example my British unit did a weird combination of 1764 and Australian army drill since the 1970's. We raised this as an issue a number of years ago and to this day the proper drill has not been implemented...meanwhile a bunch of us just went ahead and did our own thing within the unit..ordering what is probably the first batch of Kochan & Phillips wool to ever enter the country and we constructed our own Coatee's. It's hard, as no doubt you guys are experiencing, but it's better to know your doing something right. You're fighting against a very 'comfortable, petty and well established' system after all.

Best of luck with your project, I feel we have the exact same situation over here. Old established groups not wanting to change, because it is, like you said "comfortable"

Offline Duke Of LongTree

• First Lieutenant
  • 1stRM/USMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: May 24, 2018, 10:05:11 pm »
mainstream vs campaigner struggles be world wide 

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 24, 2018, 11:14:08 pm »
Please, why would we change. We will stay the 85eme.

well I have seen this serveral times in the hobby. As a consequence of anger groups didn't want to be mixed up with each other because of the same unit the portray. I think this is idotic but it happens. In Germany there are even two groups who portray the same unit but use a different button colour to differentiate from eachother - one group of course has the wrong buttons now  ::)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 24, 2018, 11:31:18 pm »
Unnecessary, we are already looking quite different. Spot who is who!

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 25, 2018, 12:14:57 am »
Lower your god damn arm Casper

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 25, 2018, 01:24:11 am »
I knew it would be held against him, but I had no other photo like this.