Author Topic: Military experience?  (Read 30198 times)

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Military experience?
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »
From my matrilineal side its very blurry as my family is all over the world (irish spread like wildfire) , there were loads of people carrying my family name that participated in the Napoleonic Wars, ACW, WW1 and WW2.

From my paternal side its Frisians who built defensive works against the Vikings in the Middle Ages.
I am not aware of anyone on my dads side who fought in any big war since he has a very intellectual family, i heard a lot of stories about us being Free-thinkers, my great-great-grandfather is said to have been quite active in the field of nuclear science in the 19th century.

oh yeah, a nephew of my grandparents who was a Lieutenant in the Dutch-Indies Army got got captured and his head chopped off by the Japanese after he inflicted heavy losses on them when they airborne attack the airstrip at Manado.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Ryno2626

• Second Lieutenant
  • MAW Community Manager
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [9y] Ryno2626
  • Side: Union
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2013, 03:45:53 am »
Great Grandfather was a Lt in the Marine corps during WW2. He participated in the invasion of Pelilue, Iwo Jimo and many more I don't remember.

Offline Noodlenrice

• Major
  • King of Nam'
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st_Pte_Noodlenrice
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2013, 02:06:16 pm »
My grandfather was the secretary of internal affairs and a lieutenant colonel in the South Vietnamese Military never saw combat but evacuated my 40+ family under fire he was also a senator in vietnam

Edit:Never saw combat cause he was an engineer and a very important and intelligent person and was set for a promotion to colonel when the fall of Saigon occurred.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:08:41 pm by Noodlenrice »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:17 am »
my great-great-grandfather is said to have been quite active in the field of nuclear science in the 19th century.

Pretty impressive considering atomic nuclei weren't even discovered until 1911, or properly understood until two decades after that.

Now that I'm here. My great-great (great?) grandfather William, who was a lieutenant in the Union army during the US Civil War, won the Medal of Honour at the Battle of Monett's Ferry in 1864 during the Red River campaign. I think one of my relatives has the medal, but as I live pretty far from most members of that side of the family, I can't say for sure.

Besides that, there's my grandfather who survived the Bataan death march, and my uncle who did three tours in Vietnam with the 1st Cavalry. Both of them were pretty fucked up by what they went through.

Offline hoiNL

• Private
  • Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Halleluuuu-jaaaahhh, Bean
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Louis Botha
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2013, 05:50:38 pm »
novm
This is the biggest noob in NW!!!

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2013, 02:35:00 pm »
My great great uncle, Henry Starcher, was a sapper during World War II. During the Invasion of Normandy his boat sunk but he swam under to grab explosive charges and then swam to the shore to blow up the German defenses that had been erected. He swam back and forth under constant fire until the way was clear. He received a purple heart and I believe a distinguished service medal, I'm not sure, I do know that he earned 4 medals from D-Day alone. He was nominated for the Medal of Honor as well but he never received it.

Offline ColtonOswald

• Private
  • Leader of 42ND Macgregor regiment
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Colton_M_Jack
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2013, 03:06:05 am »
 Well my grandfather fought for america in the korean war as a marine.
~Colton M. Jack leader of 42nd Macgregor regiment.
Greetings from the 42nd Macgregor regiment!

Offline asagek

• Sergeant
  • A glorious death is his who for his country falls.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Timo
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2013, 08:54:09 pm »
My great-grand father on my mothers side fought on the eastern front (germans) as a logistics guys but got killed my dad was in the Belgian army (the required 3 years of service) as a Cpl and great grandfather on my dads side was at Eben-Emael
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
No, I would recommend removing a faction to reduce the lag. I would suggest removing France.
[close]

Offline Major Sharpe

• Second Lieutenant
  • Aliases: Brother_Padre, Angbar, E.Spears
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 20thME_Col_E.Spears
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2013, 10:43:05 am »
My great Uncle was air chief marshal of the RAF and my uncle was a sergeant major in the royal artillery.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
My Great Grandfather on my Fathers side was a Grenadier Guard, and was shot and blown up in an orange field. he had a massive fear of oranges after (I don't blame him)
My Great Grandfather on my Mothers side was a motorcyclist in the Royal Army
Both I believe served in Europe in WWII but not Africa, I may be mistaken though.
I think I have some family who served in WWI

Offline Pagan

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pagan
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2013, 11:17:31 pm »
An uncle of my Grandma was a Lieutenant general in the Wehrmacht Commander of the  6. Panzer-Brigade then 5. Panzer-Brigade and at last Commander of the 4. Panzer-Division.  Got the Knightscross of  the  Kgl. Bayer. Militär Max-Joseph Order.
Died at 18.10.43 in a Military Hospital

Another Grandfather fought as a Pioneer in WWII, then has been a prisoner in sibiria for a long time
Spoiler
[close]