Author Topic: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod  (Read 102881 times)

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Pike & Shotte - English Civil War Mod
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »
I think they mostly wore hats, hats with fancy plumes.
Spoiler
[close]

Are those really King Charles's Bodyguards? Arm of uniform was yellow and on it were decorative lines and they wear  only something-similar-to lobster. Isn't this Parliamentary Cavalry Regiment?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:50:20 pm by ProDazzer_ »

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2015, 05:00:32 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Are those really King Charles's Bodyguards? Arm of uniform was yellow and on it were decorative lines and they wear  only something-similar-to lobster. Isn't this Parliamentary Cavalry Regiment?
Mind me asking what your source is?
Well, that's all I found when I did a google search of King Charles's bodyguards, beyond that, I can't seem to find anything else relative to Royalist cavalry, i'm not even sure what unit they're part of.
*EDIT*
Found this
[close]
Not sure if it's accurate, but it seems like it could be reliable and looks far more Royalist than the Parlimantarian looking guards atm.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:03:35 pm by Wigster600 »

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2015, 05:07:12 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Well, that's all I found when I did a google search of King Charles's bodyguards, beyond that, I can't seem to find anything else relative to Royalist cavalry, i'm not even sure what unit they're part of.
*EDIT*
Found this
[close]
Not sure if it's accurate, but it seems like it could be reliable and looks far more Royalist than the Parlimantarian looking guards atm.

My source is from King or Country, mod for Medieval II Total war. It was professionally researched. But now really I don't know

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 04, 2015, 05:13:07 pm »
  Those figures are from Bicorne Miniatures: http://www.bicorne.net/
  They do specific figures for the King's Lifeguard, I have linked the pictures below.

What the cavalry wore is the least well known part of the armies of the English Civil War. Most looked very similar, buff being very common. It is known that prince Rupert's Horse most likely wore red.
  I have an old Osprey book on the subject if you are interested.
]

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 04, 2015, 05:15:24 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

*EDIT*
Found this
[close]

My source is from King or Country, mod for Medieval II Total war. It was professionally researched. But now really I don't know
http://www.warlordgames.com/painting-english-civil-war-army-uniforms/ Maybe they go in a similar colour scheme to the Royalist lifeguard infantry here? (bottom left)

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 04, 2015, 05:16:16 pm »
  Those figures are from Bicorne Miniatures: http://www.bicorne.net/
  They do specific figures for the King's Lifeguard, I have linked the pictures below.

What the cavalry wore is the least well known part of the armies of the English Civil War. Most looked very similar, buff being very common. It is known that prince Rupert's Horse most likely wore red.
  I have an old Osprey book on the subject if you are interested.
Sure
Thanks for images
Spoiler
[close]

*EDIT*
Found this
[close]

http://www.warlordgames.com/painting-english-civil-war-army-uniforms/ Maybe they go in a similar colour scheme to the Royalist lifeguard infantry here? (bottom left)
ok, im going to rework it. You convinced me
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:18:24 pm by ProDazzer_ »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2015, 05:42:01 pm »
  May I just add as well that this mod is looking really promising. It is good you are looking into the specific regiments that fought in the conflict and trying to get the right uniforms. It is a bit of a murky subject though, some regiments may be issued with one colour uniform one year, they would wear out, and a completely new uniform would be issued the next, with a mxituer of the two sometimes being quite common. Sashes are an issue as well, some Parliamentarian regiments didn't wear orange, Cromwell is seen in one painting wearing white. The Earl of Essex' army definitely wore orange though and they were the main field army Parliament had to offer.
  I am sure this has probably been answered but will the Covenanter's be a separate faction? Seeing as though they fought both the King and Parliament it would make sense. And are they in grey uniforms? Most Covenanter's wore grey uniforms with blue bonnets.
  With the fife and drum you might do well to get in contact with an English Civil War re-enactment regiment, they know all the necessary drum calls, and see if they can perhaps lend something to the musical side of things. I do Napoleonic re-enacting myself but some men in my regiment might know a few from the Sealed Knot.
  I am sure you have probably heard this tune but I think it would be very fitting for background music:

It was composed after the First Civil War but it has been used in documentaries about the conflict. It will be good when this mod comes out, I have just finished studying the Civil War at University and have had a keen interest in it for years (my home town was the only town in East Anglia to actually side with the King, apparently you can still see a hole in the church tower where a cannonball went through).
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 04, 2015, 05:57:47 pm »
  May I just add as well that this mod is looking really promising. It is good you are looking into the specific regiments that fought in the conflict and trying to get the right uniforms. It is a bit of a murky subject though, some regiments may be issued with one colour uniform one year, they would wear out, and a completely new uniform would be issued the next, with a mxituer of the two sometimes being quite common. Sashes are an issue as well, some Parliamentarian regiments didn't wear orange, Cromwell is seen in one painting wearing white. The Earl of Essex' army definitely wore orange though and they were the main field army Parliament had to offer.
  I am sure this has probably been answered but will the Covenanter's be a separate faction? Seeing as though they fought both the King and Parliament it would make sense. And are they in grey uniforms? Most Covenanter's wore grey uniforms with blue bonnets.
  With the fife and drum you might do well to get in contact with an English Civil War re-enactment regiment, they know all the necessary drum calls, and see if they can perhaps lend something to the musical side of things. I do Napoleonic re-enacting myself but some men in my regiment might know a few from the Sealed Knot.
  I am sure you have probably heard this tune but I think it would be very fitting for background music:

It was composed after the First Civil War but it has been used in documentaries about the conflict. It will be good when this mod comes out, I have just finished studying the Civil War at University and have had a keen interest in it for years (my home town was the only town in East Anglia to actually side with the King, apparently you can still see a hole in the church tower where a cannonball went through).

Thank you for your nice words. Covenanters are for now only in Parliament faction. Yes, they have grey uniforms. I added tartan types too.

Actually, I don't know if they really had tartans.
For now I only added a few songs for drummers. For now I don't plan to add fifers.
I didn't hear that song before. I will add it
And remember: Im not the only creator. Willhelm did alot in this mod, and other people who own OSP resources, Caribbean! and With Fire and Sword team too!

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2015, 06:14:40 pm »

For now I only added a few songs for drummers. For now I don't plan to add fifers.
And remember: Im not the only creator. Willhelm did alot in this mod, and other people who own OSP resources, Caribbean! and With Fire and Sword team too!
Not sure they'd have such a contrast in colours, or any differing colours at all, Tartan is just a weaving pattern, so I wouldn't recommend having a jacket made out of tartan, it would look rather like the man's just been to the tailor's. Perhaps a baggy shirt with a plain, dull coloured kilt?

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2015, 06:20:50 pm »

Not sure they'd have such a contrast in colours, or any differing colours at all, Tartan is just a weaving pattern, so I wouldn't recommend having a jacket made out of tartan, it would look rather like the man's just been to the tailor's. Perhaps a baggy shirt with a plain, dull coloured kilt?

I've found this:

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:07 pm »
  From what I have heard with the tartans (and painting 28mm figures of them) it was quite random. Some of them had them slung across the shoulder like a sash. The patterns varied of course, there were not really any set patterns of tartan in this period. The Highlands were generally loyal to the King whilst the Lowlands were more where the Covenanters recruited from meaning that it was Royalists that tended to wear tartan. This site has some good pictures of what the Royalist Scottish regiments may have looked like (apparently some were still using bows and arrows):
http://auldearn1645.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/farquharson-of-monaltries-regiment.html
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2015, 06:33:31 pm »
  From what I have heard with the tartans (and painting 28mm figures of them) it was quite random. Some of them had them slung across the shoulder like a sash. The patterns varied of course, there were not really any set patterns of tartan in this period. The Highlands were generally loyal to the King whilst the Lowlands were more where the Covenanters recruited from meaning that it was Royalists that tended to wear tartan. This site has some good pictures of what the Royalist Scottish regiments may have looked like (apparently some were still using bows and arrows):
http://auldearn1645.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/farquharson-of-monaltries-regiment.html

Thanks for pictures!

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2015, 06:46:04 pm »
  No problem, I have a few 28mm figures myself but the battery of my camera needs charging, if I get a chance I will post some (have a few pictures of the King's Lifeguard of Foote and some of Lieutenant General William Baillie’s Covenanter Regiment). The art of warlord games is always good for reference:
http://www.warlordgames.com/the-art-of-warlord-english-civil-war/
(The Covenanter's in their grey uniforms are at the bottom)
]

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2015, 06:53:39 pm »
I see there are Highland swordsmen or something like that. Should I add them?

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2015, 07:06:16 pm »
  They would certainly be an interesting addition. You would probably do best to do a general 'Earl of Monstrose's' forces option if you want to fit them all into the Royalist roster. He had the Irish Brigade brought over from the Thirty Years War as well as his rampaging Highlanders, who had a variety of weapons from claymores to firearms as seen in the painting. That said, it would be a bit odd to have a bunch of Highlanders roaming about England as Montrose never ventured beyond Scotland (Charles did have a Scottish Officer on his staff at Naseby though who swore at him and urged him not to go and fight himself), although I did read once he was planning to move south to draw Parliamentarian/Covenanter forces away from the King but Naseby put an end to that.
  I would probably wait though, you can always do a second patch expanding the war to the rest of the Three Kingdoms. Best to keep it focused on England for the moment (the Covenanter's fit in of course as they were at Marston Moor).
]