Author Topic: Developer Blog 1 - All about Networking  (Read 43026 times)

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Developer Blog 1 - All about Networking
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2014, 08:07:47 am »
Maybe a server option to disable it for events.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2014, 09:48:49 am »
Maybe a server option to disable it for events.
That, and a button that makes you able to mute everyone on the server.
Remember TF2 where you have to mute everyone individually >.>

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2014, 10:43:50 am »
Obviously your mute abilities will be easy accessable, to mute someone/group/everyone.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:44 pm »
The reason I think of it is that users can call other users all sorts of names if voice channels can be limited to other groups/users and the admins may have problems on their hands in large events. Its still a great feature to have but it would definitely be cool to consider a potential server limiter in the future for admin specified individuals. Failing that a total mute button as you describe should suffice.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Chadric

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 02:03:21 pm »
The reason I think of it is that users can call other users all sorts of names if voice channels can be limited to other groups/users and the admins may have problems on their hands in large events. Its still a great feature to have but it would definitely be cool to consider a potential server limiter in the future for admin specified individuals. Failing that a total mute button as you describe should suffice.
Personally i know that listening to people yelling about during a battle would be annoying as hell. But at the same time it is useful to commanders, ie. you fiend a friendly regiment but you have never met their commander before so you have no TS or Steam connection to talk and typing in team chat just takes to long you can talk to them and it could be really useful for the battle. So there are definitely some ups and downs of muting everyone.

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 03:00:47 pm »
Yep. Would be great if players and commanders could be somehow differentiated as a group. But it would require the Admin to select and assign each commander somehow which might be tedious as compared to just using team speak.

Not sure how the system will be that FSE plans to implement but I guess we'll wait and see how it turns out.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 12:40:24 am »
The system is going to be position based.

That means you can only hear people close to you. (Server default setting. You can also make it so it is like in TS, but then it will only sync your group/commanders of other groups.) It is also making it possible to decrease bandwidth that way.

Offline Getty

• Major
  • Leader of the Nr9.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr9_Oberst_Getty
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2014, 04:20:19 am »
The system is going to be position based.

That means you can only hear people close to you. (Server default setting. You can also make it so it is like in TS, but then it will only sync your group/commanders of other groups.) It is also making it possible to decrease bandwidth that way.
Please tell me there will be an option for a server to shut it off entirely.

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2014, 04:00:11 pm »
Can we have some sort of vote for this voice chat ingame? As most of the people going into this making regiment have teamspeak etc, also from the reactions i'm reading, doesn't look like it's going to be popular.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
Its not that it unpopular I for one am looking forward to a in-game voice chat as it will making communication in line battles and public servers better. But i can see some folk are concerned that trolls will abuse it .

Offline Earth Bby

• FSE's Official Annoying English-Person
  • Donator
  • Bottom Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 05:55:12 pm »
yuck

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2014, 02:14:38 pm »
At least double the player count that we could support in M&B: Warband - Napoleonic Wars.

Are you talking about the 300 players that you said on announcement which I assume you stress tested a server and figured out that a GOOD server could support that many or the 200 that taleworlds forced FSE to put into affect.

Or maybe compromise and double the 250 player servers I see sometimes from big regimental events like the 91st and 92nd Conquest events and that we had in Mount & musket servers

either way I would prefer 500 or 600 player servers over 400 any day ;D

EDIT. Nvm found this on the BCoF steam group
● Massive multiplayer battles with 500+ players.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:30:40 pm by Coconut »

Offline mmveteran

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
Re: Developer Blog 1 - All about Networking.
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2018, 07:47:32 pm »
Thanks for posting, looking forward to playing this!

6 years on you still looking forward to playing this?

i dont know what makes me more angry
this game that will never see the light of day

or bannerlord who started development in 2010 - yes 2010 not 2012,
and its nothing more than warband with better graphics (if you see any of their recent videos)!

edit to add : december isnt that far away
that will be then 7 years since this was announced

Offline danangleland

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2018, 09:39:41 pm »
7 years in December? This game can't have been "announced" in anymore than an aspirational way in December 2011; Mount&Musket hadn't even been usurped by the Napoleonic Wars DLC until the following April. I don't know if the original BCoF team included more members than just (part of?) the NW team, but surely no more than superficial work on BCoF could have begun until after NW released, at the earliest?

I agree though that it is galling that this game has basically ground to a halt years ago, after which developer/moderator comment about the game simply dropped off a cliff. I think they pretty much admitted that on the last occasion that they deigned to communicate with us (just a reply in a thread, not something they drew attention to- in fact I can't remember if even this meagre sign of life occurred in the main forum or the donator's board); as I remember it a developer responded to the suggestion that the game had been abandoned in favour of Holdfast. He said, if I remember rightly, that there were still some people working on this game and that its slow development was nothing to do with Holdfast (I think the actual crossover of personnel is very minimal), but that the originally small team for BCoF had dwindled quite some time ago to just a few and so consequently work on the game is very, very slow. I feel sympathy for them and, if they truly are still plugging away at it earnestly, I congratulate them, but I do wonder if they have genuine hopes of still releasing the game. What I am irate about is the years of virtual silence, never a single thread made to update anyone in the slightest over the years, while they do occasionally update NW and tell us all about it...one could easily believe, looking at any posts of developers or forum admins over the past three or four years, that BCoF had never even existed, since they simply don't mention it.

EDIT: Just checked the Donator Board, and in the Developer's shack Olafson has been very frequently telling us about their testing activity. He started doing this in June or July, I hadn't noticed until now since I stopped bothering to check it long ago. If you check his posts since June/July he and a few others do give some information about who is doing what and what happens in their biweekly testing meetings, so that is to be welcomed. A shame that it has only started happening recently, and that the general forumites don't get appraised of anything, but it seems the game certainly is plodding along surely, no matter how slowly, which is a welcome contrast with the wholly pessimistic impression I previously had. I still have significant doubts of whether the game will ever be released though, and remain rather miffed that they simply don't mention it in the main forum. I think they have previously said that they don't want to bother saying anything on the main forum until they have something really substantial and impressive to show, but without having a donator status and bothering to log in and look, one would not have any reason to think the game hadn't vanished into thin air years ago.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:03:42 pm by danangleland »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:25 pm »
Because FSE's business model is not based on overhyping or Alpha-whoring their game.