Author Topic: No Homework in Finnland?  (Read 6741 times)

Offline Savolainen5

• First Lieutenant
  • Official Server Admin and Language Nerd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: _1stRddt_E77_Savs
  • Side: Neutral
Re: No Homework in Finnland?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 02:48:40 am »
Because America is a million times more conservative than Finland, and people hate even propositions of new taxes. Finland pays for all this through an efficient(ish) system and high taxes. Americans would die before paying the taxes Finns pay.
Wanna know what a wug is? Read here!

Juice_Kelly: no one wants to be savs, he's the biggest firegiant on the server.

Offline Scrat555

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 02:53:23 am »
I wish we weren't so conservative. All the anti-gay, anti-choice conservative people make me sad. Maybe all of us liberals can just move to Europe and live conservative 'Murica to rot in its own bigotry.

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:46 am »
Studies do show that schools with less homework tend to have higher test grades. Probably because students won't have to worry about making up assignments, doing stuff, and will have more time to process the knowledge, along with studying.

From middle school to high school were I am, we get filled with homework, and the average for a test grade is around 84 ish out of 100. Which is horrible.

How is that horrible? lol

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Chosen1
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 05:31:52 am »
9gag? lool
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 05:39:57 am »
In the U.S. students do not get recess time after Elementary school. Even in Elementary school, there are still times in which there is no or reduced time of recess. Not only that, i remember having homework assignments daily in first grade and beginning to receive homework on the weekends in 5th grade. I have come up with a theory: You all probably know this, towards the end of summer break (maybe 2 or 3 weeks before end) students tend to become bored and excited to go back to school. Students in Finland probably get bored of doing the same exact thing everyday when they get home. That maybe pushes them to study instead of just sitting around staring at a wall. I am in eighth grade and I am taking 2 high school classes and I am already staying up until 12 A.M. doing homework. Another thing i believe is that parents are beginning to get to paranoid. You get a C+ on a test that was intended for a 10th grader and they take away all sources of electronics for a month. Parents do not trust their kids with managing their own time. I know that if I manage my own time, I will probably end up playing maybe an hours worth of video games each day. I certainly wont abandon my school work when I get a steam notification telling me a Line battle is starting. Just wish adults would realize how much pressure they put on teens.

Why are you talking for all of the US? Have you been to every single school?

I had recess all the way up to 8th grade, and in 7th grade we started being allowed to walk around the block to buy lunch from stores in the neighborhood (I live in NYC). In highschool we're allowed to go out anywhere to get lunch in the city providing we get back to the school by the end of the lunch period, which is 50 minutes long. I also don't get very much homework.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 06:00:30 am »
In PA no recess after 8th grade here, but who cares.  Also you can't compare 600,000 students in Finland to millions and millions of American students.  Our government just doesn't have a smaller teacher to student ratio.  And actually if you study and work hard and actually have homework to practice that then you should make it well in college and beyond... But yea I still don't like hw

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 11:11:01 pm »
Studies do show that schools with less homework tend to have higher test grades. Probably because students won't have to worry about making up assignments, doing stuff, and will have more time to process the knowledge, along with studying.

From middle school to high school were I am, we get filled with homework, and the average for a test grade is around 84 ish out of 100. Which is horrible.

How is that horrible? lol
Maybe its not horrible, but most of our tests are only 20 - 50 questions, unless their state tests or mid terms and finals.

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 12:10:34 am »
Well, no homework is a bit exaggerated. Now granted I have been out of primary school for a while, but back when I was in 1st and 2nd grade my mum pretty much had me chained to my desk an hour per evening doing homework. Maybe I was a slow kid so it took longer than it had to? :P

The school system has been great overall though, and I personally feel I learned a lot, most importantly critical thinking.

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 12:11:38 am »
The school system has been great overall though, and I personally feel I learned a lot, most importantly critical thinking.

I think these forums need to become a Finnish school system.
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2013, 12:36:07 am »
The graph detonating mean pisa score seams horribly misleading.
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 11:58:21 am »
The graph detonating mean pisa score seams horribly misleading.

It is, which is somewhat ironic since it is about educational standards.

The irony is that when I started 1st grade I spent 4 hours in shool per day with another hour of homework, now in business school I spend on avarage 2-3 hours in lectures per day, with less commitment outside of lectures.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 12:20:05 pm »
Wait, a four hour school day? WHAT?

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile