Author Topic: Gaming PC Builds  (Read 76753 times)

Offline Scottish Unicorn

• Most Beloved In All Of NW
  • Senior Moderator
  • Meowing in chat
    • View Profile
    • My Nudes
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Gaming PC Builds
« Reply #780 on: October 18, 2021, 09:27:57 pm »
Just pre ordered the 512GB Steam Deck - It looks like exactly what I want from a laptop. Can open any application I might need to use yet also play games in a handheld form factor.

Will be using this to replace my travel laptop which is the Dell Workstation 3530 which is a chonker. Only thing is we don't know much about the OS
Q2 2022 Lets go! 8)

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #781 on: October 18, 2021, 10:00:56 pm »
Ye men
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Elias

• Colonel
  • 1323 1312 6̝̬̩͓̯̠̪ͦ͒̀ͫ̚6 ͦ̚6
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Elysio
« Reply #782 on: December 16, 2021, 10:43:31 am »
Can someone tell me the differences between 3600, 3600X and 3600XT?
[⋔エ꒚꒚ﻯ꒒ü¢kᅮᄐ ꒳ᄐ꒒ᅮ
ꎧᄐቄ ꒯ᄐエℕ ﻯ꒒ᗑ꒚
」투Ẕᅮ kꑙ⋔⋔ᅮ ꒤ℕ꒚ᄐℜᄐ Ẕᄐエᅮ

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 16, 2021, 11:43:24 am »
3600X has a higher base core clock than the 3600 and comes with a better cooler. Then TL;DR its basically the same for the 3600X and 3600XT

Architecture wise they are exactly the same. Same Cores, Cache etc.

Offline Elias

• Colonel
  • 1323 1312 6̝̬̩͓̯̠̪ͦ͒̀ͫ̚6 ͦ̚6
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Elysio
« Reply #784 on: December 16, 2021, 12:37:35 pm »
3600X has a higher base core clock than the 3600 and comes with a better cooler. Then TL;DR its basically the same for the 3600X and 3600XT

Architecture wise they are exactly the same. Same Cores, Cache etc.

thanks m8
[⋔エ꒚꒚ﻯ꒒ü¢kᅮᄐ ꒳ᄐ꒒ᅮ
ꎧᄐቄ ꒯ᄐエℕ ﻯ꒒ᗑ꒚
」투Ẕᅮ kꑙ⋔⋔ᅮ ꒤ℕ꒚ᄐℜᄐ Ẕᄐエᅮ

Skaen

« Reply #785 on: October 17, 2022, 03:57:32 pm »
Just pre ordered the 512GB Steam Deck - It looks like exactly what I want from a laptop. Can open any application I might need to use yet also play games in a handheld form factor.

Will be using this to replace my travel laptop which is the Dell Workstation 3530 which is a chonker. Only thing is we don't know much about the OS
Do you like the Steam deck? I'm thinking of getting it but I'm not really sure.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 17, 2022, 06:19:44 pm »
Its a great piece of kit. Being a linux based system and you can replace the drive makes it a monster in terms of posibility.

I've split my mini review up:

Cool Features

So you can either run the Steam OS, which basically just looks like the Steam desktop app but with more too it, but you can also run it in Desktop Mode which is literally just linux meaning you can do anything you want (within the limitations of Linux naturally).

Personally I have it setup to dual boot so I can emulate anything Nintendo, Ps2/Ps3 etc. whilst also having the Steam OS installed to run whatever games I want. I will say that the controls depending on what games you play can feel a little janky, but for FPS games I recommend just using aim assist as you would with a console game. Makes it much more playable.

For example I tried running Assassins Creed 2 on it but when free running I would run up the wrong walls etc. as the controller support for the PC version is ass. HOWEVER! One cool thing is not only can you remap buttons yourself (even on older emulated games), there are button mappings that people upload to the Steam Workshop. So chances are if you download a game, someone has already done it for you!

Performance

Performance is fantastic. I haven't really needed to turn any games down to keep it locked at 60fps. Although, I will say that I am only playing slightly older single player games on it. If I wanted to play Elden Ring for example, I'd just do it on my PC. Speaking of Elden Ring, it had some slight performance issues when it first released, but turn some settings down to medium and it runs flawlessly. In the example picture I am playing Bioshock and it literally never drops below 60fps even during a boss fight with tons of explosions on highest graphics.

Even when running quite intensive loads I barely hear the fan on the latest updates.

Main Issues

My main 3 gripes with it at the moment are:

1. Game support is a little slow, although thats not entirely Steams fault. A lot of games you can play and will work on Steam Deck, but there will be very small issues that are frustrating. Like maybe a UI element won't scale properly etc. Also games require decent controller support which is a pain in the ass. Although this isn't a problem with running an emulator like Ryujinx as it just shows up as a normal controller. One other issue is it depends on developers how good the support is going to be. For example 2k Games literally broke Bioshock on the Switch because it now requires a dumbass 2k Games launcher (with a cash shop obviously) to launch. But you can work around it.

2. Battery life DRAAAAAINS quite fast when you are not even using it. Like I haven't used it in 2 days and I just tried to power it on and it was dead. AFAIK it had like 50% battery when I put it down lol. When it completely drains it takes like 30 minutes just to get enough power in it to turn it on. I was going to take a picture or two of it in action and its completely dead right now.

3. Games can take AAAGES to launch. Steam is essentially running them in an emulator and it just takes forever sometimes. I've been playing Bioshock infinite on it and it takes literally 5 minutes to get the main menu. Not a huge deal, but sometimes you can't even tell if the games going to launch or not lol

The Dock from Steam literally only released a few days ago so I haven't bought it yet. I imagine the whole battery draining issue would be less aids once you can leave it in the dock to charge when not using it. Although Steam have said that docking station support is universal, so you could buy a cheap one from Amazon and still get functionality out of it.

EDIT: Finally got enough juice in her to show a little

Infront of my full sized keyboard for comparison
[close]
Running Bioshock Infinite, everything on Ultra except Shadows and Ambient Occlusion (Screen isn't big enough for higher settings to make a difference, you could get away with lowering Anti Aliasing as well)
[close]
How desktop mode looks
[close]

My conclusion

I bought it literally just to replace the need to take my big old Dell laptop (which has a dedicated GPU etc.) with me when I travel. When I travel for work I kind of had to choose between my own laptop for longer trips and my work laptop. It could do anything my work laptop does, but it wasn't ideal. With the Steam deck I can take it WITH my work laptop and if I know its going to be a longer trip, I can take a controller and the dock to plug it into a TV at whichever Hotel/Airbnb I am staying it. Thats where I think the Steam Deck is great, it can replace a laptop and be good at it. All while fitting everything inside one case which goes into my engineering backpack.

Its a chonker, its not light. So its not something I would be playing while laying in bed. I already have a habit of dropping my phone on my face when I'm tired. This thing would literally break my nose lmao.

I'm not worried about the game support going forwards as Valve is slowly updating and developers know that all games released on steam will be made available on the deck, so its worth spending a little extra dev time to improve the support. My issues with the game support and controller support is something that will get fixed with time.

A lot of games on Steam even if they aren't labelled as "Great on Deck" which is full support, a lot of them like Bioshock Infinite are just "Playable". Which really doesn't mean that its not fully supported, you can view the details on the store:

Spoiler
[close]

Thanks for coming to my ted talk.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 06:23:59 pm by John Price »

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 17, 2022, 06:56:25 pm »
tldr?

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 17, 2022, 07:08:40 pm »
tldr?
Thats what the Conclusion bit is for you fuckin mongo

Skaen

« Reply #789 on: October 17, 2022, 07:15:44 pm »
Thanks for the in-depth review though. Is it needed to have more storage? Like replacing the ssd with something bigger like say 1TB? I've seen on reddit that people replaced them because the original wasn't enough. Other than that the things you said in this post made it more likely for me to get one. An other thing, so you can go to steam workshop on the steam deck and download a button lay-out for a certain game? How does this work?

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 17, 2022, 07:36:55 pm »
Thanks for the in-depth review though. Is it needed to have more storage? Like replacing the ssd with something bigger like say 1TB? I've seen on reddit that people replaced them because the original wasn't enough. Other than that the things you said in this post made it more likely for me to get one. An other thing, so you can go to steam workshop on the steam deck and download a button lay-out for a certain game? How does this work?
Well basically, when you load up a game and hit the steam button, you can change the controller layout. Every game has a standard recommended one, then some templates that just work with most games, then there's another section for community ones. Its like a 1mb download that gives you extra controller layout options.

Devil May Cry for example
[close]

I probably won't change the SSD in mine until I upgrade my gaming PC next year, then the steam deck can just use the 1TB one already in my PC. I have 11 games installed atm:

The Ascent
Doom
Batman Arkham Asylum
Halo MCC
Kingdom Come Deliverance
MGSV The Phantom Pain
Monster Hunter Rise
Bioshock Infinite
Devil May Cry 2013
Rocket League
Fallout 4

Thats just under 90GB Free space out of the 465GB usable. If we are honest, who would ever need that many games installed on the Steam Deck at once. Especially when you consider my Switch which I am now selling literally only holds 1 game without an SD card.

On another note, you can buy decently fast SD cards off Amazon that will be fine for use with the deck. But you can also just move the games to and from the SD card as you use them if you are worried about the games being slow. Changing out the SSD is just unnecessary unless you intend to do a lot with the desktop mode. Personally, I don't store anything on the device. I just use Chrome in desktop mode to access Google Drive etc. Office.com to edit any documents for work if I want to.

One thing I hadn't really tested but the touch pad underneath the right joystick can be used for precise aiming in FPS games etc. and it works way better than I thought it would lol
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:38:42 pm by John Price »

Skaen

« Reply #791 on: October 17, 2022, 08:44:18 pm »
Yeah that's a fair point. I won't be putting a lot of games on the Steam Deck I guess I'll just keep the original SD storage. Thanks for the clarification. I might pick it up very soon-ish. I just wish we could already see which games would work well whilst not owning a Steam Deck.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 17, 2022, 10:28:25 pm »
Yeah that's a fair point. I won't be putting a lot of games on the Steam Deck I guess I'll just keep the original SD storage. Thanks for the clarification. I might pick it up very soon-ish. I just wish we could already see which games would work well whilst not owning a Steam Deck.
You can: https://www.steamdeck.com/en/verified

https://store.steampowered.com/greatondeck?offset=24

Skaen

« Reply #793 on: October 28, 2022, 01:24:32 pm »
I decided to quit a hobby I had for a long time. Sold a lot of stuff that gave me a lot of money back that I want to invest in a next-gen gaming PC.

I've been asking several people which CPU and GPU I should get but since I have to change my motherboard and RAM and everything I think it's better that I build a completely new gaming desktop. I am not tech savvy and believe me I have been searching for stuff but I feel completely lost as I have no knowledge of all this. I just want the fastest and strongest CPU, the best GPU on the market right now (even though it will probably be overkill I am looking at the 40 series of nvidia, although I have seen videos of the cables being burnt), and some ultra fast SSD storage, preferably around 4 TB. I would also like 64 GB of RAM because I use video editing programs, Photoshop and I game a lot. Also a good motherboard to fit all these things. About the cooling, on my current PC I have custom built EKWB Quantum Hardline Liquid Cooling. If it is possible, I would like it back in my next setup again. Also some extra information, I game in 1080p resolution, but I want to max out any FPS I can get to get the smoothest experience. I want a card that also handles 4K very well since I'm planning to go 4K soon. Can anyone help me to find a next-gen build to cover all this?

My budget will be around €7000,00
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 01:55:14 pm by Skaenn »

Offline Chainsor

• Major General
  • Nr13 - Hauptmann, EGS
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr13_Hptm_Chainsor
« Reply #794 on: October 28, 2022, 01:58:24 pm »
You'll definitely get the best setup possible with that budget. Good to really good gaming pc builds are around 1-3k I'd say. When I built my own PC 2 years ago I had help of my colleagues who all are IT guys (PC worth around 1,5k). Since im still an intern i cant really give you a lot of help, but I could send you 1-2 things I feel like are really good that I use plus the costs arent too high so you dont have to invest everything you have