Poll

Would you like to have a small amount of cavalry enabled on any maps that are suitable?

Yes.
10 (47.6%)
Yes but generals only.
4 (19%)
No.
7 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: March 13, 2013, 03:00:32 pm

Author Topic: 15th Humans vs Bots Server (UNBANS WILL NOT BE GRANTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES)  (Read 300493 times)

Offline Cenkris

• Major
  • The river of troll tears widens every day! :D
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: 15th Humans vs Bots Server
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2013, 03:02:22 pm »
Enabling a small amount of cavalry seems to have been popular with many but i thought i`d put up a poll to more accurately gather opinions on the matter! :D

Offline Dentrag

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:21 pm »
Hello! Dear admin, I want to ask you to unban me. I was banned for an offensive joke - calling admin a bitch or something like that. But I don't mean it i was a joke like: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY style, so i really apologise and will be more polite next time. I've got the same name in a game while i was banned. Thank you.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »
User was warned for this post.

Spoiler
Cenkris you are a troll, team killer and a rude ass.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:14:19 am by Deofuta »

Offline Cenkris

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2013, 10:24:23 pm »
Hello! Dear admin, I want to ask you to unban me. I was banned for an offensive joke - calling admin a bitch or something like that. But I don't mean it i was a joke like: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY style, so i really apologise and will be more polite next time. I've got the same name in a game while i was banned. Thank you.
Offensive "Jokes" with admins tend to have these kind of consequences.

Very much not a troll, teamkiller or an ass. Perhaps i may be rude to individuals such as yourself but i think it is clear that you have more than earned such rudeness if so!  ;) Very interesting to be accused of being a teamkiller when i spend all my non-regimental play time on my own server where friendly damage is turned off... ::)

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:06 pm »

Very much not a troll, teamkiller or an ass. Perhaps i may be rude to individuals such as yourself but i think it is clear that you have more than earned such rudeness if so!  ;) Very interesting to be accused of being a teamkiller when i spend all my non-regimental play time on my own server where friendly damage is turned off... ::)
Well who was on the EU_1 server earlier with YOUR name teamkilling and trolling?

Offline Cenkris

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 06, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »

Well who was on the EU_1 server earlier with YOUR name teamkilling and trolling?
Read this link http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,257757.0.html

*edit* Well that link wasn`t relevant in this case. The guilty party is 4th_LtCol_Chocolate who entered the server only a few minutes earlier under his normal name before leaving and re-entering as my impostor. Big thanks to Pride for helping me solve this matter and if anyone wants the ID of this particular troll or indeed any troll feel free to PM me! :D

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 06, 2013, 11:24:29 pm »

*edit* Well that link wasn`t relevant in this case. The guilty party is 4th_LtCol_Chocolate who entered the server only a few minutes earlier under his normal name before leaving and re-entering as my impostor. Big thanks to Pride for helping me solve this matter and if anyone wants the ID of this particular troll or indeed any troll feel free to PM me! :D
OK sorry i jumped to conclusions. My mistake

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #142 on: March 06, 2013, 11:46:26 pm »
No problem :)

Offline WDMeaun

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2013, 12:23:46 pm »
I'm going to supplement my "no" on the poll a bit.

I love playing as cavalry and actually on several maps being pretty useful.
But I can see how cavalry impact the bots' AI and for this reason I have voted against cavalry.

It is very possible to get sniped of your mount pretty soon, but it actually seldomly happens. When you get close enough entire regiments, it's possible to draw the attention of almost every bot around.
They still miss most of the time and if you're an experienced mounted combatteer, you can easily get 5-10 kills within moments.
Single experienced cavalrymen can easily distract entire platoons, inflict serious damage and hunt especially for commanders.

Fun as h-beep-, but it makes some games very unbalanced.

Plus, having suicidal attacking cavalry commanders also brings unwanted situations.
It's just silly to see individuals dodging all defenders for a single arty/engineer kill and get killed themselves almost immediately.

So I like it, but with "siege" in mind, I would seriously advice against cavalry.

Offline Cenkris

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2013, 01:09:25 pm »

But I can see how cavalry impact the bots' AI and for this reason I have voted against cavalry.

It is very possible to get sniped of your mount pretty soon, but it actually seldomly happens. When you get close enough entire regiments, it's possible to draw the attention of almost every bot around.
They still miss most of the time and if you're an experienced mounted combatteer, you can easily get 5-10 kills within moments.
Single experienced cavalrymen can easily distract entire platoons, inflict serious damage and hunt especially for commanders.

Plus, having suicidal attacking cavalry commanders also brings unwanted situations.
It's just silly to see individuals dodging all defenders for a single arty/engineer kill and get killed themselves almost immediately.

So I like it, but with "siege" in mind, I would seriously advice against cavalry.
Thanks for the input! :D I have to agree to your points myself as this is the very reason i didn`t enable cavalry to begin with! ;) The thing is we need to test it and get as many people`s opinions on the matter to see what the majority want. I know for a fact that many maps are totally unsuitable for cavalry and will end up having them disabled. There are other maps where defenders have a far harder time due to the limited nature of their defences and where a few cavalry on their side could help a lot.

Offline The Respected Man

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: The_Respected_Man
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »

My LtCol did this? Shit... Ill have a talk first and let a sepurior know about this if it continues  ;). Im sorry some of the 4th has a disliking to you due to your decisions after we split.

Offline kennsh1n

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2013, 09:28:50 pm »
Hi there,

I was banned Feb 21, sometime around 8pm US Eastern Time, under the username Biscuits. The reason I was banned was for knocking down defensive constructs (I understand this is in the server rules), however myself (a sapper) and other sappers were doing so to reuse buildpoints and I believe it was just a general misunderstanding. I love the vs. bots server and would like to be un-banned. I also posted under the Steam group for the server.

Thanks,
Biscuits
Steam id: STEAM_0:0:38130833

PS - Feel free to add/contact on Steam about the matter. (Username Kennsh1n, same as forum name.)

Bump for unban.

Also, an addendum to my vote of "yes" - while some people have made valid points that the bot AI can be disrupted by proper deployment of cavalry, at the same time it makes it more immersive and similar to an actual battle of the period, which rarely would have been without some form of cavalry. So while it may seem to unbalance in favor of the non-bot team at first, the bot commanders will figure out how to deal with cavalry.

Offline WDMeaun

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2013, 07:56:08 pm »

Thanks for the input! :D I have to agree to your points myself as this is the very reason i didn`t enable cavalry to begin with! ;) The thing is we need to test it and get as many people`s opinions on the matter to see what the majority want. I know for a fact that many maps are totally unsuitable for cavalry and will end up having them disabled. There are other maps where defenders have a far harder time due to the limited nature of their defences and where a few cavalry on their side could help a lot.

I have mostly (only) played as defender, but a single time as attacker made me view it all differently.
Especially on the map suitable for cavalry, the cavalry can really dismount assault. Just a single cavarly man charging/wounding some, will attract a complete group (if they were close to each other / in formation).
The only way I could actually get grouped bots together on the wall / inner boundraries, was by herding them each single foot. Just outside the walls and most bots would target cavalry, drawing them away from the flag.
This was on the snow covered map, with a village on both the right/left side; the left being elevated.

On the other hand, cavalry on the attackers' side (not the bots) is extremely useful, unless they are going kill hunting. (ie. charging defending sappers/artillery over and over again).
Quickly going to spots to move your bots to and retreating to cover, was the only 'sure' method of herding your bots inside. Being easy targets for cavalry, which they only target with a charge command and will most often go the wrong way.

It wouldn't be as bad if the bots knew how to react to cavalry, but they only really target them when getting ran over. A superior method of defending cavalry is to kill 2-3 bots in a single run and run all the way to the other side and repeat. Not the best cavalry myself, but doing this I was easily getting in the top 3-5 without losing all lives (which is hard as charging cavalry). The only way you die, is to get sniped or targeted by a commander, as the bots will not melee you spontaneously.

But my conclusion is a bit ironic. The maps, which are not really suitable for cavalry, are best with cavalry, as the bots wont get distracted too easily.

P.S.
Was just thinking about it.. and it's kinda strange to feel safe as cavalry charging into a defending line, which I often did. (as bayonets seem to be meant to go versus mounts)

Offline Cenkris

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:28 pm »
The way the votes are going so far it looks like some form of cavalry will end up being enabled on some maps at least. The inclusion of some cavalry seems to have made the server even more popular of late and i feel people would miss having at least some access to them on most maps. I will see how the polls look after a week and then proceed with editing the existing maps accordingly and also include a full list of maps on the main page so that people can accurately express thoughts regarding each map in future! :D

Offline WDMeaun

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »
I'm putting my voice into this far too much :p

But I would suggest enabling maybe only commanders, if you are looking to keep it balanced.
Especially coordinated cavalry charges are just devastating (and fun as h--).

Thus far it's the best on the Normandy look-a-like map.

I'm just feeling bad for hunting commanders over and over again :p