Author Topic: Austria In The Napoleonic Wars  (Read 8852 times)

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Austria In The Napoleonic Wars
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:22:04 pm »
Decided I'd make a thread covering Austria in general.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Austria In The Napoleonic Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:05 am »
Well? What about Austria?

At least try and start some form of discussion rather than this....useless sentence explaining your intentions.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:52 am »
Well for one, Austrian soldiers actually recieved better training and operated better on a regimental level then the French, but suffered from a lack of good leadership. Also, a typical Austrian regiment could go about 90-120 steps a minute depending on weather,morale and terrain  :)

Offline ThatSillyLucas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ThatSillyLucas
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:57:52 am »
ok

Offline Windom

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windom
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:17:18 am »
German regiments where known for discipline, while Hungarians where known for bravery.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 05:47:51 am »
Well for one, Austrian soldiers actually recieved better training and operated better on a regimental level then the French, but suffered from a lack of good leadership. Also, a typical Austrian regiment could go about 90-120 steps a minute depending on weather,morale and terrain  :)

Aye, it's pretty easy to out-train a conscript army.

And the current French Foreign Legion marches at 88 paces a minute, but I don't see what relevance pace has to any discussion. A regiment's marching pace was dictated by their command, not their abilities.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:54:46 am »
If im not wrong, the Prussians was the most ''disciplined' of that time :P

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 12:13:47 pm »

If with 'disciplined' you mean, they had no idea what to do when there was no commander...then yes ;)

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:49:38 pm »

If with 'disciplined' you mean, they had no idea what to do when there was no commander...then yes ;)

I guess no one would have any idea what to do without a commander?  :D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 06:26:10 pm »
Theres a difference between not knowing what to do and being helpless :p

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:18 pm »
Lol, yes indeed.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 11:06:45 pm »
The Austrian army, it was very tough to be a soldier in it. There was a very large language barrier between officers and those under their command. A great example would be a Hungarian officer leading a regiment of mostly Germans. Mind you, the officers were supposed to know some of the opposite language (Germans should know Hungarian and vice versa), but "some" can only get you so far. Austrian soldiers were without a doubt very good. But, with language barriers, marching, orders, etc. tended to fall to pieces and increased marching times and order times. It happened far too much in the Austro-Hungarian army. There were some reforms, if I recall later on throughout the Napoleonic Wars, sometime during the early 1810s. This reform had Hungarian officers teaching they're men Hungarian to those who couldn't speak it well, or not speak it at all. They were instructed to teach drill in Hungarian, German, and Italian! Yes, Italian. Southern Hapsburg Empire had very many Italians, and border regiments, like Grenzers and Jaeger companies did in fact, consist of some Italians. It's really interesting, the Austro-Hungarian army.

Also, German soldiers were drilled very hard, making these men excellent shots and their ability to reload was astonishing. Mind you, British and Prussian soldiers were far better, but in comparison to let's say, French or Russian soldiers, German soldiers were far superior in everything having to do with ranged. As for Hungarians, it's hard to say with them. They were clearly very brave soldiers, but most had to be forced into line conscription. The Hussar was the prize of Hungary! Being the originals, and the best, I'm sure a majority of Hungarian Conscripts wanted to be a hussar or Chevaux-Leger (Chevaux-Legers were cavalry that could do almost anything. They were light enough for scout work and being lancers, and were heavy enough to also be dragoons and guards!). I read a story somewhere a while ago about a young Hungarian man, no more than 20, who was killed by guards for disobeying his line conscription order. he was found with the Hussars, and was immediately apprehended. He fought back, and they killed him to show an example of what happens when you disobey conscription orders. Nonetheless, Hungarian troops were somewhat of a prize of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They tended to be bigger, more burly men. And, when given the chance to charge, they delivered. And, boy... did they deliver well with cold-steel.

That's my input on Austria of the time.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 12:15:22 am »
We're not talking about Fredericanian era, until 1792 your quote is true. But between 1806 and 1813 definitly not. And still in 1815 it was developing new structures, so no "finished" forged army like the other countries. But After 1806 it definitly rised two of the best military scientists of this era: Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

But back to austria here!  ::)

Some say that hungarian grenadiers were the best of that time, but I've no source yet. But yes, austria had many specialized troops in its army, a tribute to it's multi-cultural state! But mentionable is, that austria never raised a (field-)guard regiment in the napoleonic wars.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:06:35 am »
As proven by this, Austrian history has been buried and forgotten, despite the fact the Austria helped forged what is now Europe, and heavily influenced the 7 Years War, Napoleonic Wars and many others. On the subject of NW, almost nobody is interested in joining an Austrian regiment, making recruiting very hard. But if they found out the truth about the Austrians during this time, they would most certainly be hooked.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 01:16:54 am »
As proven by this, Austrian history has been buried and forgotten, despite the fact the Austria helped forged what is now Europe, and heavily influenced the 7 Years War, Napoleonic Wars and many others. On the subject of NW, almost nobody is interested in joining an Austrian regiment, making recruiting very hard. But if they found out the truth about the Austrians during this time, they would most certainly be hooked.
I'm telling you, it's because of the uniforms. In real life, the white looked pretty fucking cool, but in NW they look like fucking clowns, and it really takes away any attractiveness that they could have had. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that FSE spent the least amount of time on the Austrian uniforms, and it really shows in game.