Author Topic: Ancestors serving in World War I  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Ancestors serving in World War I
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:59:23 pm »
my dad
Did he serve in the 18th Azerbaijani Arillery Regiment?
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 05:25:43 pm »
2 great grandfathers, both forced to fight in the german army. Both deployed in Flanders where one of them fell.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline DanyEle

• FSE Associate
  • Sssh! I'm coding, don't disturb :D
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanyEle
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 08:35:58 pm »
A few weeks ago I went to my family's old mountain house and I found a very old picture of a man wearing a World War 1 uniform and wielding a rifle, so I asked my uncle who it was. He told me that was my grand grandfather who fought for Francis Joseph in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and got called to arms in 1914. He got wounded and captured by Russian soldiers a few months later, but he managed to go back home in 1919 or 1920.
Then I remember asking my grandmother once, if her grandfather was called to arms in 1914 as well, and she told me that my other grand grandfather Attilio was called to arms in 1914, again fighting on the eastern front for the Austro-Hungarian Empire and came back in 1918 unharmed. Back in the days, this part of northern Italy where I currently live still belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and it was only after World War 1 that it got annexed by Italy, so no wonder they were loyal to the Kaiser Francis Joseph. I even recall finding a picture of Francis Joseph himself at my old mountain house :D
I think I could even go and ask my grandmother for more details about my grand grandfather, I'm sure she does know way more than what she's told me so far!

EDIT: I did some research, and it looks like they served in the Kaiserjäger 3. Regiment http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.u.k._Kaiserj%C3%A4ger
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:40:34 pm by DanyEle »

Offline Akko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:54 pm »
A few weeks ago I went to my family's old mountain house and I found a very old picture of a man wearing a World War 1 uniform and wielding a rifle, so I asked my uncle who it was. He told me that was my grand grandfather who fought for Francis Joseph in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and got called to arms in 1914. He got wounded and captured by Russian soldiers a few months later, but he managed to go back home in 1919 or 1920.
Then I remember asking my grandmother once, if her grandfather was called to arms in 1914 as well, and she told me that my other grand grandfather Attilio was called to arms in 1914, again fighting on the eastern front for the Austro-Hungarian Empire and came back in 1918 unharmed. Back in the days, this part of northern Italy where I currently live still belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and it was only after World War 1 that it got annexed by Italy, so no wonder they were loyal to the Kaiser Francis Joseph. I even recall finding a picture of Francis Joseph himself at my old mountain house :D
I think I could even go and ask my grandmother for more details about my grand grandfather, I'm sure she does know way more than what she's told me so far!

EDIT: I did some research, and it looks like they served in the Kaiserjäger 3. Regiment http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.u.k._Kaiserj%C3%A4ger

Quite an awesome find. I remember digging into my family's pictures and finding various great uncles that fought in WWI. All of them fought in France from what I recall.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 10:55:51 pm »
Yeah my great grandfather and grandfathers were in the military. Im not sure if they saw action in WWI (they did in WWII and the ensuing Greek Civil War of 1947), but I do know that, as lawyers in the Army before the conflict, they were on the panel of judges of the military tribunals in the Imathia region in Northern Greece (that's where we come from).

So, in a sense, they were involved, but not fighting directly in combat.
<3

Offline AlekoTheGreek

• Donator
  • Alex, born in the year of the false spring
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 16th AlekoTheGreek
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 11:05:58 pm »
My great gand uncle fought in the Bulgarian front in ww1, i have a sculped artillery shell from him

My great grand father served in the Greco-Turkish war of 1919 (basicaly the war following the ww1 peace treaties), he lost his leg at Sakarya
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:13:57 pm by AlekoTheGreek »