Author Topic: After BCOF  (Read 9846 times)

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
After BCOF
« on: August 05, 2013, 10:43:00 pm »
So in a thread about the beta, people were mentioning other games they want FSE to make once they are done with BCOF. Try be in detail, it would be nice to get some scope of how much you are thinking of not just "I want a space game" or something that doesn't tell us much, something interesting to read.

- Concept -
So my idea for a game, I haven't thought of a title for it, maybe I'll add one if I think of it, but it is set in the English Civil War. Honestly this is an area of history that I, and hopefully many others might potentially find interesting. As far as I know, the only game with the English Civil War in it is Medieval 2: Total War, by way of a mod called for king or country. (http://www.moddb.com/mods/for-king-or-country-the-english-civil-war)

- Units -
As far as units go they would be pretty simple, seeing as at the beginning of the war there were no standing armies so it was made up of mainly milita as well as officers, because of this you could have multiple units of militia with different clothing. Within these two types of militia units you have to remember the only foot infantry that there was at the time was pike men and musketeers.

Musketeers - The musketeers of the English Civil war mainly used a matchlock musket, the length of the barrel would be around four and a half feet. This musket only had a range of around 300 yards, but it would only be accurate up to 50 yards. Seeing as it was a heavy musket it had a rest, I don't know how you would incorporate this into the game unless it was kept in an inventory slot but when you presented there was a short animation of it being placed before the gun was resting on it, this would make it take a while to fire but that could cut down on the annoying game play style of point blanking.

The ammunition would be carried by a leather bandolier that went over the shoulder and around the hip, from this there would be hung "The Twelve Apostles", these were tubes of gunpowder, seeing as you only have 12, that would indicate you have 12 shots, however the bandolier also had a flask full of power meaning you could have more shots, probably up to about 24-32.

The flintlock musket was a lot more expensive than the matchlock musket, because of this it was only really issued to sentries and the lifeguards of high ranking officers, this could possibly be some form of special unit that is "Generals Staff". Generally all musketeers carried a sword for if they ever got into some melee.

Pike men - The pike men predominantly used used an iron head spear, mounted on a shaft made of ash wood that was between 15 and 18 feet long. Due to the fact that it was quite unwieldy, some pike men cut a few feet off their pikes, this put them at a serious disadvantage against people with a full length pike. Because of this fact there is potential for a slight chance to spawn with a shorter pike. The pike men also carried a short sword called a "tuck" for close quarter fighting.

In ideal situations the pike men would wear a helmet, breast and back plates, thigh guards (tassets) and an iron collar or gorget. These would provide some protection against things like glancing blows from a sword or pike, but a straight on attack is more than likely to go straight through the armour and kill. Much like when a bayonet kills a cuirassier in NW.

Cuirassiers - The cuirassiers are a directly evolved form of the medieval knight, they went into battle with quite a lot of armor on, with the exception of the lower leg which was covered by a long boot. They had also ditched the lance of old, and taken on weapons such as pistols carbines and swords. This would leave the player with the choice of a pistol or a short carbine, all cuirassiers would carry a sword.

Harquebusiers - The harquebusiers, like the cuirassiers carried a carbine, or a pair of pistols, and a sword. Although the officers of a harquebusier regiment would usually carry the harquebus. They were classified as light cavalry because they wore lighter armor and rode slightly faster horses.

Dragoons - The dragoons were mounted infantrymen that rode small, fast horses so that they could move to position then fight on foot. They didn't wear any armor and they would usually carry a musket or carbine, and a sword.

Artillery - The artillery of the civil war can be separated into three different types, Siege Guns (Cannon royal, Cannon and Demi-Cannon, Heavy Field Guns (Culverin, Demi-Culverin) and Light Field Guns (Saker, Drake, Minion, Falcon, Falconet and Robinet). Most arillery was muzzle loaded, smooth bore and cast in bronze and iron.

- Maps -
Battle of Powick Bridge
Battle of Edgehill
Battle of Braddock Down
Battle of Hopton Heath
Battle of Seacroft Moor
Battle of Ripple Field
Battle of Sourton Down
Battle of Stratton
Battle of Adwalton Moor
Battle of Roundway Down
First Battle of Newbury
Battle of Nantwich
Battle of Cheriton
Battle of Cropredy Bridge
Battle of Marston Moor
Battle of Beacon Hill
Battle of Castle Dore
Battle of Tippermuir
Battle of Aberdeen
Second Battle of Newbury
Battle of Auldearn
Battle of Naseby
Battle of Alford
Battle of Langport
Battle of Kilsyth
Battle of Philiphaugh
Battle of Rowton Heath
Battle of Torrington
Training

There are lots of battles, and I am not familiar with the landscape of every place, but most battles were fought in like a field or a moor so generic style maps wouldn't be to hard to make. The training map would be some sort of camp for the milita to be trained at where you could practice as all the different types of unit before hitting the big bad world of multiplayer.

- Multiplayer -
So in multiplayer there would be a few main modes, the first of these would be battle mode, which would be exactly the same as in NW. Just a generic style of fun gameplay that anyone can pick up and play. The next two modes would be team deathmatch and deathmatch, they are also a generic type of gamemode that would be familiar to gamers. Another mode they would be used to playing would be king of the hill, the main objective being to hold a certian point on the map. More game modes could be added like duel, an maybe an objective style gamemode where you have to complete tasks although I am not sure how that could work. Server sizes for this game would be 300 players, on two teams of 150. Hopefully this would be possible, and if the 500 player servers on BCOF hold out then surely FSE could scale back the servers, although server sizes could be larger if wanted.

So that's my idea for a game, if I missed anything feel free to point it out, although I would rather this thread was dedicated just to DETAILED ideas.

Online Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: After BCOF
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:54:11 pm »
I guess I would wish for a game about the great northern war.
Battle tactics from the great northern war - http://www.wfgamers.org.uk/resources/C18/gnwtactics.htm

I have always wanted to run around in an old carolean uniform bashing the shit out of the Danes the Poles, the Saxons and the Russians.
But I guess it wouldn't be that exciting for people that are not in the involved countries since it would just be a reskinned NW with even less accurate weapons.

Factions

Major

Sweden
Denmark - Norway
Russia
Poland

Minor

Electorate Saxony
Cossacks
Ottomens

Swedish tactics
The Swedish tactics was to go on the attack he sent his men straight in under artillery fire and gunshots he waited for the right moment to halt and fire to then charge.
It was sad that the caroleans didn't halt until they could see there enemies eye whites. Which was decided by the king because the accuracy of the guns was so bad. This and with the help of there cavalry made the Swedish one of the deadliest in Europe. If these tactics could be implemented in the game somehow I think it would lead to a very fast and fun game experience.

Some background about the caroleans! (from wikipedia)
As the Swedish allotment system was completely introduced in 1682, the Swedish military saw significant change from the conscripts of Gustavus Adolphus who were financed by looting, to a strictly Christian (in some areas fundamentalistic) fighting force. The soldiers were to pray every day, be respectful towards civilians, and were not allowed to display fear in battle. A soldier would be executed if he was found guilty of rape, interrupting a prayer or taking God's name in vain. The latter was considered the worst of all crimes, as religion was an important measure to keep morale and discipline high compared to an enemy force who fought simply because a human leader forced them into doing so. The Caroleans considered themselves specifically chosen by God to fight against eastern heretics and protect Christianity in Europe. Other crimes that would be harshly punished was drunkenness (50 lashes), stealing (35 lashes), absence during marching (25 lashes), questioning a commander (16 lashes), and absence after taps (5 lashes).

Infantry Equipment
In the Swedish infantry 1 third was supposed to be designated as Pikemen and the rest as Musketeers and Grenadiers.
For muskets the Flintlock and the Matchlockmusket was used the matchlockmusket had started to replace the Flintlockmusket since before the war.
For melee weapons pikes, small swords (also known as värja) and bayonets were used.

Spoiler
[close]

Artillery Equipment
The Swedish artillery used three types of artillery pieces they used cannons, howitzers and mortars. The artillerymen had there own muskets and "väjror"  to defend themselves though.

Swedish mortar

Cavalry Equipment

-Maps-
First Battle of Narva (Could be hard though since the actual battle was fought during a blizzard storm.)
Battle of Poltava
Battle of Fraustadt
Battle of Kletsk

Multiplayer
For multiplayer it would be cool to have servers with room for at least 200-300 players.
With familiar gamemodes like Battle, Siege, Team Deatmatch and maybe something new and awesome ( I would have to think about this for a while).

Summarize

WIP
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:04:02 am by Furrnox »

Offline Mekkil the Graet

• Donator
  • BACK AGAIN
    • View Profile
    • nApoleonic wArs!111
  • Nick: nApolenic_wArs!111_Dev_Mekkil
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »
I guess I would wish for a game about the great northern war.

I have always wanted to run around in an old carolean uniform bashing the shit out of the Danes the Poles, the Saxons and the Russians.
But I guess it wouldn't be that exciting for people that are not in the involved countries since it would just be a reskinned NW with even less accurate weapons.
As much as I'd like to play any game where I'd see some swedes getting molested by Russians and Danes, that is not a very detailed description for your game idea

Offline dooomninja

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1brig_95th_Maj_dooomninja
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:10:49 pm »
how about the 30 year war, similar in gameplay as English Civil War but with more variation 
ಠ_ರೃ Quite!
2 most satisfying shots- a rider off a moving horse and officers who think they are safe :b

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:26:40 am »
A World War I game would be nice.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Mekkil the Graet

• Donator
  • BACK AGAIN
    • View Profile
    • nApoleonic wArs!111
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 12:31:11 am »
So that's my idea for a game, if I missed anything feel free to point it out, although I would rather this thread was dedicated just to DETAILED ideas.
how about the 30 year war, similar in gameplay as English Civil War but with more variation 
A World War I game would be nice.

Seriously, how dense are you guys? Did you even bother to read the OP?

Offline Hammerstout

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 12:32:45 am »
I'd like to see an American Revolutionary War game or even the French and Indian War.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 12:37:23 am »
 Ugh. I was far too late... I don't like the idea of this thread in that it could distract the FSE developers with ideas of things they may want to do, but couldn't do in an American Civil War game. I'm not saying that the FSE devs have poor self-control. I'm saying that a sudden motivation to do something they wouldn't have thought of right away themselves could give them interest in making something else while they're still focusing on BCoF.

This is especially relevant if some of the devs have ADD.

Offline dooomninja

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1brig_95th_Maj_dooomninja
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:47:46 am »

Seriously, how dense are you guys? Did you even bother to read the OP?

considering it's the same time period i didn't think i had to do this...

here are some basic unit breakdowns for a 30 year war game

Spoiler
Musketeers - The musketeers of the English Civil war mainly used a matchlock musket, the length of the barrel would be around four and a half feet. This musket only had a range of around 300 yards, but it would only be accurate up to 50 yards. Seeing as it was a heavy musket it had a rest, I don't know how you would incorporate this into the game unless it was kept in an inventory slot but when you presented there was a short animation of it being placed before the gun was resting on it, this would make it take a while to fire but that could cut down on the annoying game play style of point blanking.

The ammunition would be carried by a leather bandolier that went over the shoulder and around the hip, from this there would be hung "The Twelve Apostles", these were tubes of gunpowder, seeing as you only have 12, that would indicate you have 12 shots, however the bandolier also had a flask full of power meaning you could have more shots, probably up to about 24-32.

The flintlock musket was a lot more expensive than the matchlock musket, because of this it was only really issued to sentries and the lifeguards of high ranking officers, this could possibly be some form of special unit that is "Generals Staff". Generally all musketeers carried a sword for if they ever got into some melee.

Pikemen - The pike men predominantly used used an iron head spear, mounted on a shaft made of ash wood that was between 15 and 18 feet long. Due to the fact that it was quite unwieldy, some pike men cut a few feet off their pikes, this put them at a serious disadvantage against people with a full length pike. Because of this fact there is potential for a slight chance to spawn with a shorter pike. The pike men also carried a short sword called a "tuck" for close quarter fighting.

In ideal situations the pike men would wear a helmet, breast and back plates, thigh guards (tassets) and an iron collar or gorget. These would provide some protection against things like glancing blows from a sword or pike, but a straight on attack is more than likely to go straight through the armour and kill. Much like when a bayonet kills a cuirassier in NW.

Cuirassiers - The cuirassiers are a directly evolved form of the medieval knight, they went into battle with quite a lot of armor on, with the exception of the lower leg which was covered by a long boot. They had also ditched the lance of old, and taken on weapons such as pistols carbines and swords. This would leave the player with the choice of a pistol or a short carbine, all cuirassiers would carry a sword.

Harquebusiers - The harquebusiers, like the cuirassiers carried a carbine, or a pair of pistols, and a sword. Although the officers of a harquebusier regiment would usually carry the Harquebus. They were classified as light cavalry because they wore lighter armor and rode slightly faster horses.

Dragoons - The dragoons were mounted infantrymen that rode small, fast horses so that they could move to position then fight on foot. They didn't wear any armor and they would usually carry a musket or carbine, and a sword.

Artillery - The artillery of the civil war can be separated into three different types, Siege Guns (Cannon royal, Cannon and Demi-Cannon, Heavy Field Guns (Culverin, Demi-Culverin) and Light Field Guns (Saker, Drake, Minion, Falcon, Falconet and Robinet). Most artillery was muzzle loaded, smooth bore and cast in bronze and iron.
[close]

is it just+me or does common sense seem to be an oxymoron...
ಠ_ರೃ Quite!
2 most satisfying shots- a rider off a moving horse and officers who think they are safe :b

Offline Mekkil the Graet

• Donator
  • BACK AGAIN
    • View Profile
    • nApoleonic wArs!111
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 12:55:17 am »
I'd perfer if you stopped turning the gun the other way when it's facing you. I doubt anyone would call a single line "detailed", pretty much no matter what it is related to. Put some goddamned effort into the post if you are suggesting an idea.

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 02:29:21 am »
While I like detail as much as the next man, I think we'd all appreciate it if you didn't tell people off for not making their post detailed on the thread. It's not a big deal.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:31:31 am by McEwanMaster »

Kielbasa!

Offline Mekkil the Graet

• Donator
  • BACK AGAIN
    • View Profile
    • nApoleonic wArs!111
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 02:50:17 am »
While it is generally a bad idea to publicly go against the opinion of a moderator...

I hardly think the purpose of the thread was to contribute a few dim witted lines about a time period that you like. Or did I misread the OP?

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:32 am »
I have to side with Mikkel here, the whole point of this thread was to get some detailed suggestions, something fun to read, a couple of lines doesn't really say much now does it.

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 03:09:09 am »
I know. All I'm saying is that you don't need to be overly aggressive about it.

Kielbasa!

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 06:03:37 am »
the war of 1812 or the American revolution war would be great