Author Topic: The community deserves better  (Read 71461 times)

Offline Vikestad

• Sergeant Major
  • "84e sheriff, white knight of truth and justice"
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Vikestad
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The community deserves better
« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
Hello Everyone,

In light of recent comments and opinions voiced by some of the community, we feel its best to restate the position of FSE in relation to the community and the official servers. The servers which we maintain are done so on a voluntary basis at private expense for the benefit of the public players for the sake of community, we try to host servers that are open to all and and are fun to play on, to the best of our ability.

Now, the difficulty of maintaining these servers is obvious and despite our efforts, there will be failures on the part of the admin team and the owners. As a game development company we have overstepped ourselves when dealing with the community. To that end, we will be making certain changes in regards how FSE deals with the community:

1. FSE will be taking a step back from community altering decisions. In our pursuit of stopping an argument that had been made three times over the possession of the 51st name we rashly decided to remove the object that was contested, instead of punishing the ones who were breaking forum policy. Inadvertently we managed to punish the entire community by removing something that rightfully should have been theirs. For this, we apologize, and will now rectify. We will no longer withhold  any regiment number, even if it proves a source of great controversy and fighting. We will no longer involve ourselves in this process. As such we will return it to the last community member that had possession of said regiment name.

2. Now, even though we are from now going to step back from these kind of decisions and loosen the grip we try to have over the community, there may be a time in the future when such decisions may need to be made. But it will no longer only be in our hands, instead If such a time comes, we will need a base of respected players who can give an informed opinion on such decisions, before we make them. Thus, we will be instituting a new group of players on our forums, the NW Community Representatives. They will be nominated by the community, and will have access to a new forum board area. If FSE sees a need to make a community altering decision, we will first post the proposal of such in this area, in order to gain necessary community feedback so as to make an informed decision. This place will be carefully watched Their opinions will guide our policy, and allow the community a voice to the FSE management.

We will be setting up the Community Representative Process shortly. I look forward to serious dialogue taking place, with real solutions being found with help from both the administration and the community.

Let me guess, more "well-knowns" who "deserve admin"?   ::)

Would rather have them choosing than having the fate of the forums be in the hands of these so-called revolutionaries

You really hate people, dont you?

No, but I do hate shit stirring kids unable to bring anything valuable to the table. You seem to fit the bill, Modig. Just another creature coming out of the woodworks to take part in the collective feast of idiocy. I'm not letting anyone of you speak for me. How about a moderate faction? What? Not fitting the "I'm 15 and angry at the establishment" sentiment that's going on? Shame.
84e RĂ©giment d'Infanterie de Ligne

Offline Vorlen

• Second Lieutenant
  • [Nr.24]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2013, 10:41:41 pm »
As an added Titbit....

Me and 'Sid' were never really freiedns with granty or Daniel, in fact there was almost open hostility at points. Yet we agree that the banning was wrong, so we stand up for them.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2013, 10:42:48 pm »
Guys it's over, let's calm down, lock this thread and focus on reparing the community.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:01 pm »
How about we give it a rest for now? Tensions are rising, and for no reason. FSE has made their point, and we should wait for now.

For one, I support Vikestad as being a Representative (silly word). While we certainly don't agree on everything, I think he really wants the best for the community, instead of one part of it.

JackieChan

« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »
Have to disagree with you on the poll idea Jackie ma bro. General community polls to decide something like that is just as open to abuse and scandal, as we saw with the 'Champions of europe'. Perhaps i'm fucking over the solution, but a community initiative, based upoin respected, transparant and fair leaders is preferable than an absolute democracy. In which anyone can vote to sway things.
Quite right, quite right. Still I think this would be a better thing to do. It could simply be a poll, without a propper thread, where you can post. This would naturally hide the reasons for the votes, but would at least keep it clean (as long as there's no poll rigging...). Plus, I would give the community a second chance at this, since it is the democratic way. We would be given the chance to make up for our own faults and show some maturity on our part. If we demand change fromt FSE, then we should also try to better ourselves.

Offline Scorpia

• First Lieutenant
  • You know who I am.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Scorpia the Great
  • Side: Union
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:33 pm »
Yes, let us just end it here for now and let this cool down for the night eh?

Offline Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Private
  • ...Much obliged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2013, 10:45:41 pm »
By the way, for the record I think if people want to post their support for this movement, let them. Community opinion and thought have been repressed beforehand, even in the case of rational arguments and valid points. We cannot rely on mere rational discourse to carry the day here. The staff, as a few already have, have to realize the magnitude of community resentment towards existing conditions, and realize that it cannot be dispelled by a few bans on key figures. The more people who are involved, the less likely the lot of us will be banned wholesale for voicing our thoughts.

Again, my two cents. If they wish to be so upfront about their support, let them. I bear no ill will towards those who support what has already been said, they are good, valid points.

Offline Blade

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bladeson
« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2013, 10:45:50 pm »
Yes, let us just end it here for now and let this cool down for the night eh?

What about the people that are still banned?  :-\

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:27 pm »
Wow, I didn't think this would go this far. Lay off trying to get Vincenzo to speak, plus I do agree with Hekko. But I find it incredibly stupid how people are posting popcorn gifs or memes I also find it stupid how people are making a signature for this. I agree with USE4life, the best thing right now would be unban James Grant/Jezza, Daniel, Biggun, Craig and all the other people whom were banned. I do like the idea of a bunch of people being  representatives. But in a way I think it'll be another Champion of Europe fight sorta thing. So it'll be good to have them in a more secure area as you said.

But really, I speak for myself and maybe some other members of this community, what would make everyone happy, is the 51st rule removal. Which has been granted, and the unban of everyone we said, Biggun, James, Dan, Craig etc etc...
And the fix of the administrator recruitment and punishment.

Oh, and stop bloody sending abusive messages to people just because of their options, leave Jacob alone!

EDIT: Warning - while you were typing 10 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. Bloody hell.
People like you describe are the scum of this community.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
  • Aspirerande arbetsaristoj
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:42 pm »
Hello Everyone,

In light of recent comments and opinions voiced by some of the community, we feel its best to restate the position of FSE in relation to the community and the official servers. The servers which we maintain are done so on a voluntary basis at private expense for the benefit of the public players for the sake of community, we try to host servers that are open to all and and are fun to play on, to the best of our ability.

Now, the difficulty of maintaining these servers is obvious and despite our efforts, there will be failures on the part of the admin team and the owners. As a game development company we have overstepped ourselves when dealing with the community. To that end, we will be making certain changes in regards how FSE deals with the community:

1. FSE will be taking a step back from community altering decisions. In our pursuit of stopping an argument that had been made three times over the possession of the 51st name we rashly decided to remove the object that was contested, instead of punishing the ones who were breaking forum policy. Inadvertently we managed to punish the entire community by removing something that rightfully should have been theirs. For this, we apologize, and will now rectify. We will no longer withhold  any regiment number, even if it proves a source of great controversy and fighting. We will no longer involve ourselves in this process. As such we will return it to the last community member that had possession of said regiment name.

2. Now, even though we are from now going to step back from these kind of decisions and loosen the grip we try to have over the community, there may be a time in the future when such decisions may need to be made. But it will no longer only be in our hands, instead If such a time comes, we will need a base of respected players who can give an informed opinion on such decisions, before we make them. Thus, we will be instituting a new group of players on our forums, the NW Community Representatives. They will be nominated by the community, and will have access to a new forum board area. If FSE sees a need to make a community altering decision, we will first post the proposal of such in this area, in order to gain necessary community feedback so as to make an informed decision. This place will be carefully watched Their opinions will guide our policy, and allow the community a voice to the FSE management.

We will be setting up the Community Representative Process shortly. I look forward to serious dialogue taking place, with real solutions being found with help from both the administration and the community.

Let me guess, more "well-knowns" who "deserve admin"?   ::)

Would rather have them choosing than having the fate of the forums be in the hands of these so-called revolutionaries

You really hate people, dont you?

No, but I do hate shit stirring kids unable to bring anything valuable to the table. You seem to fit the bill, Modig. Just another creature coming out of the woodworks to take part in the collective feast of idiocy. I'm not letting anyone of you speak for me. How about a moderate faction? What? Not fitting the "I'm 15 and angry at the establishment" sentiment that's going on? Shame.

All I hear is "I hate 15e, I hate 15e. Q. Q. Q."

How about we give it a rest for now? Tensions are rising, and for no reason. FSE has made their point, and we should wait for now.

For one, I support Vikestad as being a Representative (silly word). While we certainly don't agree on everything, I think he really wants the best for the community, instead of one part of it.

He is eligible because he thinks everyone are douchebags?

Offline Tiberius Decimus Maximus

• Private
  • ...Much obliged.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2013, 10:49:02 pm »
I'd also recommend against locking the thread. The community should be able to voice its thoughts, and everyone should have a chance to share their opinion on the events, as part of this community and a paying customer, provided they do not overstep forum rules.

Offline Stacey#YOLO

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2013, 10:49:15 pm »
Who wants to get drunk?

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
  • Aspirerande arbetsaristoj
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2013, 10:49:24 pm »
I'd also recommend against locking the thread. The community should be able to voice its thoughts, and everyone should have a chance to share their opinion on the events, as part of this community and a paying customer, provided they do not overstep forum rules.

That would have been quite ironic, yes

Offline Joker

• Donator
  • Face it Bats, you'd be lost without me
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 88th_Major_Joker
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2013, 10:51:46 pm »
Hekko, This wasn't a good way to handle it.
People should stop jumping on the band-wagon because it's cool to be against people, stirring up shit on this forums that has a player base of 60% minors is not a good idea, take it to a more private place if it is annoying you that much, I for one am not too happy about the 51st Locking, but it is a lot better to talk about it or do it in a more private way, this problem has just been tripled by everyone saying "Yeah go Hekko! Nice idea Bro" But still, the 51st is just a number a number out of a billion other options people could choose to make a name with. Now I am not siding with the developers or anyone, I am just pointing out that you are helping No-one by bitching about it on a public forum, and for god sake, putting a personal complaint about Melee into this is just silly, you don't like the melee, talk to someone, don't take the piss, It is so sad that it has come to this, the Developers never "Abandoned" us, it is just silly and childish to believe that.
Anyway, that is my opinion, take it as it is.

EDIT:
And get rid of all that "Revolution" Crap, it isn't helping anyone, stop trying to be hip and cool, Christ.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2013, 10:53:00 pm »
You folk should get a representative and pm it to vince rather than this unorginized rabble.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.