Poll

What is the most important feature to you for the upcoming game?

Massive battles
56 (37.6%)
Historical accuracy
28 (18.8%)
Melee/horseriding mechanics
39 (26.2%)
Destructible goodness
7 (4.7%)
Proper ballistics
15 (10.1%)
Other
4 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Author Topic: Most important feature to you for Battle Cry?  (Read 11556 times)

Offline PJ

• Colonel
  • Beneath the gold, the bitter steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: PJ
  • Side: Union
Re: Most important feature to you for Battle Cry?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 03:45:22 am »
The ability to create "custom defences". As an engineer making, raised and sunken battery's out of sandbags and planks, tickles my fancy big time! It would be awesome if a similair engineering system could be implemented in Battle Cry :D
+1 to that
A year of underdogs

Offline Pvt.Wilson

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 08:06:08 pm »
Commander battle. That is all. I know this is my first post on this forum, but I've put almost 200 hours into just commander battle in the past few months.

I have heard that there is a chance that commander battle will not be included in Battle Cry and that just cannot be so. In my humble opinion no other game I have ever played has combined first person action and strategy so excitingly like the commander battle mode in Napoleonic Wars. Anyone that has ever been a part of a mass cavalry charge with hundreds of bots can attest to how awesome it is.

You can use the argument that a higher player count would negate the need for a bunch of bots but I highly doubt you could replicate the same way the companies work so cohesively outside of very strict clan servers. Please please please find a way to make it work... or else I will just have to keep playing NW forever (I guess that wouldnt be too terrible)

Offline Apollo

• Colonel
  • NW Official Administrator; apparent god of the sun
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Apollo
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 04:54:02 am »
Commander battle. That is all. I know this is my first post on this forum, but I've put almost 200 hours into just commander battle in the past few months.

I have heard that there is a chance that commander battle will not be included in Battle Cry and that just cannot be so. In my humble opinion no other game I have ever played has combined first person action and strategy so excitingly like the commander battle mode in Napoleonic Wars. Anyone that has ever been a part of a mass cavalry charge with hundreds of bots can attest to how awesome it is.

You can use the argument that a higher player count would negate the need for a bunch of bots but I highly doubt you could replicate the same way the companies work so cohesively outside of very strict clan servers. Please please please find a way to make it work... or else I will just have to keep playing NW forever (I guess that wouldnt be too terrible)
Well,
I believe that honestly commander battle is almost a waste of money with the already enormous budget they are working on to create a spectacle such as BCoF. I think that, while it is fun for quite a few people in NW, anyone who has ever lead any sort of line, cavalry, or artillery in a linebattle has essentially played Commander Battle with more intelligent AI. My point being, that if you're an officer of any kind, or someone of leading stature, then Commander Battle is almost obsolete.

Offline MrBeasty127 (Brown)

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 06:25:59 am »
However most people cannot lead real people, and no one can all the time. Everyone can enjoy leading in a commander battle without any fuss. I and my friends regularly enjoy commander battles (most do not play in a regiment) and we would be greatly disappointed if it were not included in BCoF. Commander battle is a must for me and a more intelligent AI would be a nice bonus too. Iron sights for skilled aiming for artillery, rifles and muskets is another thing I'm really hoping for and would be disappointed if it were not to be added.

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 09:28:52 am »
The problem is FSE is only a small group and the commander battle game mode would require a huge amount of time and effort in order to code the AI which is also quite diificult.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 10:27:40 am »
Donate more, we will make more features. Right now, we do not have the time nor money to create a gamemode like that .

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 09:39:41 pm »
The problem is FSE is only a small group and the commander battle game mode would require a huge amount of time and effort in order to code the AI which is also quite diificult.
Well, not necessarily. They already have most of it down already in NW, and I think a few upgrades would be all that's needed to make a superior BCOF commander battle mode. AI tweaking isn't too hard, and the code for group commands was already set in place in the original M&B singleplayer.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 01:03:05 am »
BCoF is not based on the Warband engine. Just saying...

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 03:41:06 am »
Yes, but are you really going to redo everything? Are you not carrying over a single bit of material from the old engine?

Offline Refleax

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 07:47:35 pm »
Yes, but are you really going to redo everything? Are you not carrying over a single bit of material from the old engine?

The Warband engine is the proprietary of Taleworlds so it would be illegal to do so.
May good health be yours.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 11:15:11 pm »
Nor would it be possible.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 03:31:06 am »
Not using the Warband engine gives you more freedom correct?

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 10:28:03 pm »
Melee and MASSIVE battles ofcourse... Destructible environments is a nice touch!
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2012, 01:03:25 am »
Melee and MASSIVE battles ofcourse... Destructible environments is a nice touch!
To add onto that, I'd like to see more variations to bayonet combat. I don't really have anything specific in mind, but I thought thrusting over and over again to kill people made things a little dull. Maybe make it so that you can use the butt of the gun as a club even if you do have a bayonet?

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 02:57:29 am »
The thing that will decide the longevity of the game is the first person gameplay (melee etc). Immersion comes from knowing that your actions, as an individual, have an impact on a battle and that the impact depends on your individual skill and playstyle. Moreover, people need to feel like they're improving and learning new things the more time they devote to the game, so there needs to be a high skill ceiling to keep them going. Everything else is a bonus: the scale, the graphics, the interactivity of environments etc. Without this you will lose players as quickly as you gain them.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:09:53 am by Evanovic »
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC