Poll

What do you think of a composure system?

It'd be a great idea!
I like the idea
Eh, I don't really mind either way
I don't think it'd be a good idea
No, no, no, HELL NO

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Composure System  (Read 4643 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
[Suggestion] Composure System
« on: December 08, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »
So, after reading the Debuff thread, my mind started whirring a bit. I was wondering if a massive debuff system could be installed

If the guy next to your or your CO dies, it drops dramatically. If Artillery starts firing near you it also has an effect, as well as being under heavy fire. It increases if you have your flag next to you, are not around any enemy soldiers or taking any artillery fire, or just finished a massive battle/charge which ended in your favor.

Being well composed would give bonuses such as increased accuracy, better melee speed and a steadier camera.

Being ill-composed would lead cause you to have less accuracy, worse melee and a camera which is unstable.

NOTE: This would be used in a "Realism" mode of the game, not the "Arcade" mode which would be mainl suited for Public Play (Think Red Orchestra 2)
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Composure System
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 08:45:27 pm »
That would be cool, I'd like to see it have an effect on reloading, taking longer and increasing chance of misfires due to mistakes while reloading.

Also in commander battle or single player (if they include it) it could make your bots flee if they lose all composure.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:15:38 pm »
sounds good

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 02:18:39 am »
I feel that games that do things like this kill the immersion, as they constantly remind you that you're playing a game. When I play games that I seek realism in, I want to be obliged to seek cover, or be somewhat scared if I'm taking fire, but I want that to be me thinking/feeling that, not my in-game character. Of course, causing that reaction falls to the visuals and sound effects of the weapons..

Imagine a 12-pound shell, in all its glory, exploding over your head, then showering the men behind you in shrapnel, with bits of it whizzing past you, turning up the dirt in front of you.. the screams of your dying comrades filling your ears.. That fear is what I enjoy in realism games, not the forced and coded kind.

Or perhaps a volley shrieking past you, with your countrymen, friends, and officers falling like flies.. the whistling of the minie-balls vibrating the air, pulling at the colours, tearing apart man, wood, and earth.. and all you can do is continue loading and firing; just concentrating on that one task that you do not break and flee..
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:22:06 am by TheBoberton »

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:49:51 am »
I feel that games that do things like this kill the immersion, as they constantly remind you that you're playing a game. When I play games that I seek realism in, I want to be obliged to seek cover, or be somewhat scared if I'm taking fire, but I want that to be me thinking/feeling that, not my in-game character. Of course, causing that reaction falls to the visuals and sound effects of the weapons..

Imagine a 12-pound shell, in all its glory, exploding over your head, then showering the men behind you in shrapnel, with bits of it whizzing past you, turning up the dirt in front of you.. the screams of your dying comrades filling your ears.. That fear is what I enjoy in realism games, not the forced and coded kind.

Or perhaps a volley shrieking past you, with your countrymen, friends, and officers falling like flies.. the whistling of the minie-balls vibrating the air, pulling at the colours, tearing apart man, wood, and earth.. and all you can do is continue loading and firing; just concentrating on that one task that you do not break and flee..
If the reloading mechanic is more involved, where it's like a series of minigames or actions, then yes. But if it is like in NW, then it should be slowed or hampered by the battlefield conditions, otherwise a guy in the middle of a war zone under fire will reload just as well and quickly as someone in a peaceful hamlet.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 03:09:58 am »
It might have a slight effect, but any semi-decently trained infantryman would fall back upon his training and do it by muscle memory and instinct once the bullets started flying. The effect would hardly be noticeable with any troops that are more than conscript farmers.

Also, what is being suggested here is not just an effect to reloading, but a blanket effect on all facets of game-play.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:20:54 am by TheBoberton »

Offline Gamersaufromage

• Donator
  • Half-man Half-Cheese
    • View Profile
  • Nick: IVe_21e_Sdt_Gamersaufromage
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 02:55:56 pm »
It really looks like Red Orchestra system :/, debuff could be good but with very low effect, if there is too much debuuf, players will be spread all over the map, and there will be no lines ...

Offline McEwan

• Brigadier General
  • "McEwok" "McScrubwin" "ManJewban" "McWeewan"
    • View Profile
    • Marins de la Garde Impériale on Enjin!
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]_McEwan
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 12:47:47 am »
I agree with Thomas. A system like this, plugged in with all the other active systems in the game, would not only kill immersion, but make the game feel to busy. The effort involved in monitoring all these systems would just become too much to handle (at least with care). In simplicity, what games like this should do is let the game evoke your emotions, not the "emotions" of your character.

Kielbasa!

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:00:39 am »
NW is already one of those games that makes you feel how unforgiving it can be, at least in Battle mode.

Trying to get the player to feel something will be a tough challenge for taking cover, fighting as a team and fighting in formation.

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »
I think it's a good idea. Even something such as the edges going blurry when you get shot at makes you feel stressed and worried and under fire, such as in Battlefield.

Offline Hazzard

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hazzard, or something like that.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 01:04:51 am »
I don't really like the idea. Secession for Warband had some really weird ways of doing it. Me and some other people making a line practiced volleys and target shooting. We were dropping our guns from four of us shooting at practice dummies. Visual effects like blurred screens or shakes would be nice, but I don't want to have my accuracy penalized from being shot at.

Offline Insurance Salesman

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 02:47:06 am »
Honestly, I don't think it would be a very good idea. The main reason I would want a suppression system is if it the game took place during a time period like WW2 - where suppression from a machine gun or sustained fire from other squad members played an important part in small-scale infantry combat. There, the suppression would play it's part in keeping player from too-easily sniping a machine gunner firing on them due to the disconnect between the player (sitting in his or her home) and their avatar (currently very close to a quick, painful death).

But in musket-based warfare, guns were both far less accurate and fired much less quickly, and cannons I think were used less for suppression then for cutting apart the men standing in line ahead of them. I think simply the fear of death would be enough to keep a person from rushing an entire regiment firing at will, especially with good sound design that makes the sound of nearby bullets and cannonballs sound suitably terrifying.

Offline Gamersaufromage

• Donator
  • Half-man Half-Cheese
    • View Profile
  • Nick: IVe_21e_Sdt_Gamersaufromage
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »
If there is too much suppression, people will be spread all over the map to avoid it, I've already posted in the donator section an idea :
Quote from: Gamersaufromage
it could be good to have suppression in BCoF when a bullet goes near a player. A little bit like in Red orchestra but not that much !
There is lot of good things that  suppression can give, let me introduce them:
  • More immersion
  • This would force the soldiers to shoot at the same time to produce a more powerful suppression effect, so soldiers would stay in groups during a battle, even if they are not in a Clan/team/regiment. I think it's very important to encourage people to stay in groups because if people are randomming, this game loose all his objectives. The game have to makes people stay in groups (for example give bonus of reloading time like in NW)  and why not add a bravour bar

And i will  add :
  • if you ware in line you could be less affected by suppression

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 01:13:32 pm »
At the very least can we get a ringing ears sound after close explosions?

Offline Hazzard

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hazzard, or something like that.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 09:49:26 am »
As long as there's an option to turn it off and replace it with just other sounds quietened for a while, my ears really hurt hearing it.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk