Author Topic: Shooting to kill  (Read 6888 times)

Offline Aurum

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Shooting to kill
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 07:00:57 am »
Interesting...

New person to watch, thanks man
nah windflower just tries to act cultured and edgy but hes actually just a 21yo lonely canadian who wastes all his time serving donuts to fat american tourists and trying to date underaged video game girls

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 02:15:51 pm »
I do believe there were instances of soldiers breaking down in ancient and medieval battlefields. However, people those days didn't recognize what it was and took it for cowardice, which is why it is barely recorded. But it has to be said: death was a much more closer thing to people back in the day then it is now. In fact, we live in a society where we dread death and want to push it away, while in the medieval world, people lived very close to it and it was much more common and real to them than to us.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »
I do believe there were instances of soldiers breaking down in ancient and medieval battlefields. However, people those days didn't recognize what it was and took it for cowardice, which is why it is barely recorded. But it has to be said: death was a much more closer thing to people back in the day then it is now. In fact, we live in a society where we dread death and want to push it away, while in the medieval world, people lived very close to it and it was much more common and real to them than to us.

^This.

Offline CaseliusFIN

• First Lieutenant
  • Getting shot is my forte
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2ndWI_Cpt_W_Parsons
  • Side: Union
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 06:19:11 pm »
It was not until World War 1 and World War 2 until stress and trauma during war started to be investigated properly as the problems appeared more visible. There was a quite interesting study about it here couple years back by one historian. Sadly the material seems off-limits or either in Finnish, the study was dubbed "Battled nerves" and the book made after it could be translated as "Broken minds". It highlighted how different the views were still 60 years ago on the subject.

During WWII, many nations (especially ones not much affected by WW1) still classed shell shock and PTSD as a sign of cowardice and there was literally no treatments organized for them, instead they were either punished or were send back to the battle.
Company Commander. 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.
NW veteran & ARMA 3 modder

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:42 pm »
Blast shocks damage the brain and cause PTSD (e.g. suicidal behaviour). So there is something special in modern warfare regarding PTSD.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 02:10:59 am »
I heard somewhere that heavily armoured knights had some severe PTSD and were fucking crazy by 40 50.
Maybe it was just trauma from the wars and shit.

dunno if true
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 11:37:55 am »
Understandable. Think that also they were often sleep-deprived, exhausted and malnourished. Combine this with the carnage they did, many of them would have suffered from PTSD but like Joer mentioned, it was classed as cowardice and was barely recorded.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 07:02:07 pm »
Blast shocks damage the brain and cause PTSD (e.g. suicidal behaviour). So there is something special in modern warfare regarding PTSD.

Not nessecarily. You can get PTSS wihout physical trauma.

Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 07:29:24 pm »
Exactly. I remember a story someone told me about Dutch soldiers who were in Bosnia, where people who drove supply trucks trough warzones but never saw any actual action got PTSD, while people who saw vicious combat several times were fine.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 09:13:12 pm »
Exactly. I remember a story someone told me about Dutch soldiers who were in Bosnia, where people who drove supply trucks trough warzones but never saw any actual action got PTSD, while people who saw vicious combat several times were fine.

I do not know if this ever was mentioned in press or anything or that it caused a big fuss, but the reason those truck drivers got PTSS was because they were not allowed to stop for anything, ever, while driving a convoy.
As it happens sometimes children (carrying AKs) stepped in front of the convoy.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2016, 12:32:48 am »
That's Afghanistan. And it's commonly known.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2016, 12:42:43 am »
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 12:51:57 am »
That's Afghanistan. And it's commonly known.

Kosovo too

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 11:49:04 am »
I was speaking about Dutch troops.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 11:59:17 am »
I was speaking about Dutch troops.
So was I