Author Topic: The Double-X  (Read 6061 times)

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
The Double-X
« on: July 28, 2013, 03:36:20 am »
So I went inactive from Napoleonic Wars for a while as I began to like some other games, I came back when my regiment began to piss off at me and the melee was different. "The Double X" was the new move and if you didn't know it or know how to do it you were screwed. At first the double X was like a faster feint, they would upstab then retract and then downstab, easy right? But now they have found ways to triple X and make their gun glitch from an upstab that looks like a downstab. Skill in melee is no longer about consistency with blocks and outsmarting your enemy. Now it's just who can tap X the most and glitch out their melee the most and get the enemy to block the wrong direction. The feint is rendered almost completely useless unless its used with the double x in order to glitch your melee out even more. In my opinion it is an exploit, it seems you are switching weapon modes in order to achieve your stab to break animation and begin almost instantly. Opinions? Glitch or Tactic? Please keep this to a peaceful discussion.
A melee competant 6th Season NWL Champ
Karth are we still jealous of your reg?

Offline Japan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Japan
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Double-X
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 03:51:06 am »
Do what the EU do.Well in GF servers. Ban it, or get good and block it.

Offline Tormidal

• Sergeant
  • Axios!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tormidal/Sanguinius
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:52:57 am »
Do what the EU do.Well in GF servers. Ban it, or get good and block it.
Never forget who you are. But more importantly, never forget who helped to make you that way.

There's nothing worse in life than losing someone you've talked to. Someone who helped change your life. Someone who turned you into a better person. Its those people who you should always remember, its those people who you should always hold closest.

Offline UniversitasMetal

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 04:48:46 am »
Tbh I never saw any use in this double x. Really seems like an awkward way to make a slightly faster up attack or I just can't do it. Maybe it Affect people with lower ping? Not sure.

Offline Grimsight

• Donator
  • ᴅɪꜱʀᴇꜱᴩᴇᴄᴛ_Yᴏᴜʀ_ᴍᴇᴍᴇꜱ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 3eVolt
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:11:42 am »
Banning it is ludicrous honestly. Good or bad, its a part of the game and we cant just remove it with silly rules.

But with the new patch out, I'd it was the perfect chance for FSE to actually remove it. But they didn't, and there's a lot of others things wrong with melee these days too. endless glances, up stuns, etc..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:14:36 am by Grimsight »

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Chosen1
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:17:42 am »
It's an unavoidable exploit, I think.  IMO, it's pretty easy to spot when someone is doing it. Just anticipate the rapid switch in attack direction.

endless glances, up stuns, etc..

Glances and stuns have always been apart of warband melee, there's nothing that can be done about those.
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:37:49 am »
Banning it is ludicrous honestly. Good or bad, its a part of the game and we cant just remove it with silly rules.

But with the new patch out, I'd it was the perfect chance for FSE to actually remove it. But they didn't, and there's a lot of others things wrong with melee these days too. endless glances, up stuns, etc..

Banning it is ludicrous? How do you think new players at the steam sale feel when they are fighting someone and their musket spazzes out and instantly goes from an upstab to a downstab with  a minimal chance to block it? And honestly it isn't supposed to be part of the game, it's switching from melee to range then back to melee so fast that it breaks the stabbing animation. I think skill in melee should be blocking and outsmarting your enemy, not spazzing out stab animations..
A melee competant 6th Season NWL Champ
Karth are we still jealous of your reg?

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:58:01 am »
There is nothing we can really do about it but I do agree that it's a glitch and doesn't prove anything about being an able fighter. Holds, some feinting, and chambering is where the real skill lies.

Since the recent patch though I've noticed the move has been less-effective, on me anyway.

Offline Akame

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Akame
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:04:49 am »
If anything it will make people more alert if they learn to block/chamber double x's. I don't even notice people using it.

Offline groenewoldr

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NotFamous
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 07:09:11 am »
Ever since it's been kinda nerfed, not as much people use it, however when they do and when they are good at it, it is insanely effective.
I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. But I will find you, and I will troll you.

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 07:16:58 am »
I haven't read all the posts but its fukin easy as shit to block, you can see the animation and you just have to quickly react, EU's have it banned which I personally think its bs since its a new melee move that spices the shit up. Just my personal opinion. I like tits.

And Xeroth they already made it easier for new players in the earlier patch that made the up-attack slower, like I said you can see the musket wiggle down, the player just has to get used to it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 07:21:35 am by TheZach_Attack »

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 10:09:29 am »
Its inherited to how the engine handles animations.

The only "fix" I can imagine is adding a small animation delay between switching from gun to melee mode. in this delay you cant switch again or do anything like attack/block..

outside of that I cannot do anything about it.. feel free to discuss.

Offline Akame

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Akame
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 10:32:31 am »
I use the X key for not much else than the movement boost, a delay in switching to attack mode would be quite annoying. Maybe a small delay to any actions when X is pressed during a stab instead?

Edit: Ok, since the speed boost was patched I support your idea.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 11:06:43 am by Akame »

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:19 am »
There is no speed boost anymore in the latest patch, that was fixed.
Melee now has the same walk speed as ranged mode.

The delay i propose is only when switching from ranged to melee, so the melee animation is already canceled by then because when you switch to ranged the animation is canceled.

Offline Jay_One

• Donator
  • 84e Retired Prison Guard
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jay_One
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »
Now there is no more difference in walking speed between ranged and melee mode I don't see why people would complain about a delay in switching attack mode if it would fix the double x bug. It's not just a "technique" and can't always be spotted in order to counter.