Author Topic: Best Dressed Warrior  (Read 81064 times)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Best Dressed Warrior
« Reply #405 on: December 12, 2016, 11:52:51 pm »
One of the more humorous claims of German apologists is that Germans were enlisting and fighting for the defense of their fatherland and to defend themselves from soviet atrocity. Before the Soviets could commit a single atrocity against the Germans, the Germans were the ones who actually invaded the Soviet Union with the goal of exterminating its Slavic population and clearing it for Lebensraum. It's idiotic to pin any significant atrocities on the Soviets, as they were the ones that were invaded, endured 20,000,000 casualties, and suffered through an invading army attempting to exterminate their entire ethnicity.

The Geneva Convention was thrown in the trash by Hitler on the Eastern Front. He cared little for it, and there are frequent accounts of Wehrmacht units executing civilian populations. One such is from an Italian journalist who accompanied a Wermacht unit and wrote multiple books on his experiences with them.

Yes, the Germans were definitely the first to break the Geneva Convention

Besides the Soviets were eager to jump into the war as aggressors so long as they got their piece of Poland (after getting humiliated by them in 1920). And they were planning on invading germany from behind as well of course.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:54:32 pm by junedragon »
Why am I still here

Offline Peppers

• Colonel
  • Father of North American Cavalry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pepper
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2016, 11:54:00 pm »
You do understand that the Soviets where going to attack Germany like a few weeks before Germany attacked the Soviets right? The Germans got intel that the soviets where ramping up production on tanks and where preparing to invade Europe as they did before against Poland to turn Europe into a communist land.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_offensive_plans_controversy

I have heard information to that effect before, but your own source casts doubt on its validity, and it seems like a cheap attempt to justify Germany's actions.

Even if Stalin was planning an invasion, a preemptive strike would be justified, but not a wholesale genocide and policy of ethnic cleansing.
Ethnic cleansing eh?

Oh boy... what is this then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 12, 2016, 11:55:56 pm »
The USSR and Nazi Germany were both shit places and we should be happy they no longer exist. There.

Duuring your "argument" according the party-membership shows your arrogance one more time as it always appears when you talk about germany in general or more in NS-germany specifically.

What's arrogant about it? You can't support a party with a platform of discrimination, removal of political freedom and incitement of hathred against certain groups of people and expect that nothing bad will ever happen to you. Actions have consequences. What goes around, comes around, and so on. Goes for Dutch nazi's as well.

I've seen people argueing Poland is the cause for and there for the bad guy in World War 2 because they refused to give up the Danzig Corridor, as if that legitimizes the destruction of their nation and the following ethnic cleansing. Same goes for the Holodomor by the way: Don't pretend it was any form of casus belli for the Germans. As if Germany cared a single bit for Ukraine. They arrested and imprisoned Ukrianian Nationalists within days of invading Ukraine, and had the exact some policy towards Ukrainian Nationalist fighters as towards Soviet Partizans: Destruction.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:57:46 pm by Duuring »

Offline TheRedRedcoat

• First Lieutenant
  • uhh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: u
« Reply #408 on: December 13, 2016, 12:26:22 am »
I am by no means a Soviet apologist. I hate communism and all the regimes that attempted to implement it. That being said, there is an important distinction to be made between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia: the average Russian had a shit life under the Soviet regime, reminiscent of life under the Czar, while the average German enjoyed many benefits in Nazi Germany. 

A German in 1940 was most likely very happy with their situation, and didn't mind the fact that his nations armies were trampling upon the rights of every nation in Europe, while an entire ethnic group was being slowly disenfranchised. They are complicit because they benefited, and there's no getting around that.

Also, like I said before, it's idiotic to decry Soviet atrocities. Germany punched, the soviets just punched back harder. It's as if I punched you, then you punched me harder, and I accused you of war crimes.

And by the way June, posting pictures of dead bodies with a sarcastic message does not immediately invalidate my point.

Offline Liburnius

• Private
  • Flavius Liburnius Geminius
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Liburnius
« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2017, 06:47:31 am »
I'm a big fan of the Late Roman periods of history, between the 200s through 500s AD. After that, although still actually Roman, the periods are usually referred to as Byzantine, for the Eastern Roman Empire.

Here are some pictures of Western Roman soldiers and their equipment. Roman legions, even during the Republic and the earlier Empire years were never completely uniform in appearance, with some soldiers wearing different variations to their armor and equipment. Even the late 1st century BC through 3rd century AD usages of lorica segmentata armor was not as common as films and popular culture depictions of Romans make them out to be. Lorica hamata, chain mail armor, was more common. By the later era of the Roman Empire, then the Western and Eastern divisions of the Empire and after, lorica segmentata had fallen into disuse due to impracticalities compared to mail, likely including the costs and very individual nature of the fitting. Lorica squamata is what we would think of as scale mail, and lorica plumata is also similar.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
IN THIS SIGN CONQUER

Offline Phillyz

• Colonel
  • Art & Graphics Person.
    • View Profile
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: Philly
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2017, 03:45:50 am »
Romans are pretty cool. :)

Offline Seegert

• Private
  • Lieutenant & Adjutant/Pgp
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pgp_Lt_Imperial_Mercury
« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2017, 03:46:42 pm »
I'd say Probably Spartans or Winged Hussars because the Greeks not only had some badass armor but had great tactics as well but for the Winged Hussar they were able to drive back many nations without fear.
(My Own Quote)
"The Art of Diplomacy is greater then that of the Art of War"
(My Favorite Quote)
"Meine Ehre heißt Treue (My Honour is Loyalty)"

Offline Seegert

• Private
  • Lieutenant & Adjutant/Pgp
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pgp_Lt_Imperial_Mercury
« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2017, 03:49:38 pm »
But for a more Standardized army I would pick the Bavarian, Scottish, or Polish Uniforms for their discipline and pretty cool uniforms or the the world war 1 and 2 German uniforms. But for like counter Terrorist team uniforms I like the SAS or GSG9.
(My Own Quote)
"The Art of Diplomacy is greater then that of the Art of War"
(My Favorite Quote)
"Meine Ehre heißt Treue (My Honour is Loyalty)"