Author Topic: New World (aka NW)  (Read 4822 times)

Offline Mexican

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • perpetually injected with Imipolex G since 2013
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Meximemer
  • Side: Union
Re: New World (aka NW)
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2021, 12:30:46 am »
Does anyone still play this? or was it just another fad
666x 1v1 Champion | 69x 5v5 Winner | 420x Regimental Champion | 1x Autistic Memer Award

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2021, 12:33:18 am »
Well there isn't really anything to do in it. Unless you really like the PvP but the servers were ass so I gave up even trying.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 15th_YR_Gren_trot888
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2021, 12:38:22 am »
Best part of the game was refunding it

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fartknocker
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2021, 05:55:24 am »
Does anyone still play this? or was it just another fad

I stopped playing for two days and came back to everyone being max level and then quitting cause the post game sucked. So I stopped at level 40 something. Was really fun on the way up but the end game stuff apparently is terrible.
63e pawn in an anti-63e world.

Offline Mexican

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2021, 06:31:43 am »
damn, ill stick to wow then xd
666x 1v1 Champion | 69x 5v5 Winner | 420x Regimental Champion | 1x Autistic Memer Award

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fartknocker
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2021, 07:24:14 am »

I still think it was worth the money. Got a ton of hours into it and was a great experience while it lasted.
63e pawn in an anti-63e world.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2021, 07:31:44 am »
I'll be real though, WoW isn't any better in its current state lmao. At least with New World its a new experience and the combat is generally quite fun.

I am considering renewing my membership for when 9.2 comes out. Its just mind boggling to me that 9.2 is the last patch for Shadowlands... We got 2 main releases not included the small release they did just for Torghast. Its fucking astonishing how little content is in it but I bought the expansion might as well finish it.

You ain't catching me doing the rep grinds again Blizzard can piss off

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2021, 09:18:23 am »
You can call me a weeb but I've been grinding FFXIV and it's by far the most engaging MMO I've played; story is incredible, raids are extremely difficult, professions are actually interesting and you can level all 'classes' on one character (get with the time WoW).

One of the most irritating aspects of the majority of MMOs is the profession grind, it's bland, you go to X co-ordinates and mine X vein. In FFXIV, professions are actually classes, with skills to improve quality of the item you're gathering. You want to increase the % chance of retrieving a HQ version of this vein? Use X then Y ability before harvesting. There's also 'collections' which use unspoilt veins/trees/bushes which spawn at certain times of the day which you can gather/mine and using abilities you can improve the quality of that collection depending on your professions AP, get it to 1000 quality then harvest? Sure turn that in for an additional reward. This is just the skeleton of the professions system, each profession has about 30 abilities to increase yield, chance of gather etc. Do you want to craft some really sick armour? Sure you can but you'll have to ask for help from other professions to get the required materials.

In terms of content, having alliance raids, standard raids, extreme trials, tribe quests, gold saucer; there's so much to do you'll almost certainly never get bored. The bosses are also super cool, with unique almost cinematic animations and timed events, FFXIV is notoriously known for having by far the most difficult bosses as it's about constant movement and complex mechanics.

One of the 100 of cool scenes I found, some bosses have Active time maneuvers.

I wouldnt in any sense call FFXIV a 'weeb' game, especially considering its more fantasy than weeby, bosses are very well thought out; characters are the only 'anime' looking part of the game and even that's a stretch, it's just a fantasy game in my eyes. People should certainly try it out, it's very close to hitting WoW numbers for subscription and player count and a LOT of longtime WoW players are moving to it. I dont watch anime but this game is fucking sick. It's also believed that FFXIV actually has more active players than WoW clocking over 3M daily, with WoW reported to only have around 2.2M daily.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:35:43 am by Fietta »

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2021, 09:28:49 am »
I always wanted to try FFXIV. We gave it a go with some guys in 18e a few years ago then again recently but the issue we had is that we all had other games we were playing and the new player experience in FF is...interesting...or just practically non existant it feels like.

I am sure if you can tough it out until the first DLC's content I am sure its great but unfortunately I am getting too old to grind MMO's like this from scratch anymore.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2021, 09:31:10 am »
Yeah AAR is notoriously known to be a pain to get through with 100 patch quests and linear story, it's something you have to grit your teeth and get to level 50 for heavensward. It shouldn't take too long though.

I originally quit FFXIV years ago due to it just seeming to be another generic MMO with a 'meh' story; but I decided to grind to 50 and start to do the level 50 end game content with extreme trials and raids and then to heavensward and now I've never looked back.

One of the cool things about FFXIV is that every expansions end game content is level capped, so you're not just going into a level 50 extreme trial, one hitting the boss and being done with it, it scales you.

People also do the older content because there's wanderous trials which gives you additional end game poetics (currency to buy armour bla bla) by making you do that content, it's pretty cool making old content just as relevant as new content.

I would say FFXIV has a much larger grind though, at the start due to having no exp buff when leveling, it took me 300 hours to reach max and 350 to complete the MSQs for all the expansions. One cool thing is that now I've got a max character, leveling the other classes will be quicker due to there being an exp buff which is the difference between the class you're leveling and your max level.

If I've got a dragoon level 80 and a maurader at 0, I'll have a very big exp boost from mobs etc becsuse the difference is 80 levels, that slowly tightens up as you level maurader for example. They don't make you repeat the grind multiple times, they have systems in place for when you've already done it once.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 09:40:24 am by Fietta »

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2021, 09:50:36 am »
Grinding isn't a problem for me. I've played every single Monster Hunter game since the PS2 original release and obviously played MMo's like WoW, TERA, ArchAge (Original because I like self inflicted pain), Black Desert and others that elude my limited morning brain power.

The issue is like with WoW where their version of a grind is just giving you a reputation bar and making you do daily's until you get what you need. Its so unimaginative and lazy that it has just spoiled the game completely.

The class/profession system always intrigued me because it sort of reminded me of why ArchAge was so fun to begin with as you could literally just make whatever the hell you want and there will always be a quirk to it. I forgot my original class, Dark something... It was literally just a warrior with a 2 handed that could spam teleports at you for infinite gap closer and holy shit was it stupidly fun. One day I will actually play Final Fantasy but you know how it is. Whats the point in paying for a subscription just to log back onto CSGO and carry on hurting my psyche that way lmao.

Offline Fietta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2021, 09:59:33 am »
WoW makes playing it a chore; when I played shadowlands on release, I was extremely angry that conquest was capped each week, I'd be spending all my time grinding on arenas for someone to just get uncapped conquest in 2 months time in a day when I'm spending 2 months to get it.

Reputation grind is absolutely abominable, it's just another chore to deal with and with this 'anima' grind too, it's just irritating. Never actually had or felt like I've had to done any tedious boring daily grinds in FF as of yet though.

Offline John Price

• General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2021, 10:13:04 am »
Conquest caps have always been a thing and I am fine with that. It makes sense for the grand scheme of things. Or that would be true IF THEY GAVE YOU LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE THATS NOT A REP GRIND TO DO. Like they brought back the honor gear scaling just to ruin it again a patch later.

Not sure if you saw the latest trailer for the last Shadowlands patch. So tone deaf it actually made me laugh.

"At Blizzard we hear how much you want Tier sets back. And we do too"

(Chriseh who has a longer than 5 minute memory)

"Blizzard you literally added it BACK IN half assed at the start of Shadowlands JUST TO REMOVE IT AGAIN WTF YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU MAD CUNTS"

But - We are in full agreement really. Although I am 50/50 on Conquest catch up as its one of those things you can never truly "balance".

Offline Mexican

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2021, 09:55:55 pm »
I enjoy the setting and aesthetic of WoW the most, but it is definitey dated and feels like a chore. Especially so with classic which is what I play primarily.

FF14 is a worthy alternative, I’m just not as much of a fan of the world

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2021, 07:04:15 am »
You can call me a weeb but I've been grinding FFXIV and it's by far the most engaging MMO I've played; story is incredible, raids are extremely difficult, professions are actually interesting and you can level all 'classes' on one character (get with the time WoW).

One of the most irritating aspects of the majority of MMOs is the profession grind, it's bland, you go to X co-ordinates and mine X vein. In FFXIV, professions are actually classes, with skills to improve quality of the item you're gathering. You want to increase the % chance of retrieving a HQ version of this vein? Use X then Y ability before harvesting. There's also 'collections' which use unspoilt veins/trees/bushes which spawn at certain times of the day which you can gather/mine and using abilities you can improve the quality of that collection depending on your professions AP, get it to 1000 quality then harvest? Sure turn that in for an additional reward. This is just the skeleton of the professions system, each profession has about 30 abilities to increase yield, chance of gather etc. Do you want to craft some really sick armour? Sure you can but you'll have to ask for help from other professions to get the required materials.

In terms of content, having alliance raids, standard raids, extreme trials, tribe quests, gold saucer; there's so much to do you'll almost certainly never get bored. The bosses are also super cool, with unique almost cinematic animations and timed events, FFXIV is notoriously known for having by far the most difficult bosses as it's about constant movement and complex mechanics.

One of the 100 of cool scenes I found, some bosses have Active time maneuvers.

I wouldnt in any sense call FFXIV a 'weeb' game, especially considering its more fantasy than weeby, bosses are very well thought out; characters are the only 'anime' looking part of the game and even that's a stretch, it's just a fantasy game in my eyes. People should certainly try it out, it's very close to hitting WoW numbers for subscription and player count and a LOT of longtime WoW players are moving to it. I dont watch anime but this game is fucking sick. It's also believed that FFXIV actually has more active players than WoW clocking over 3M daily, with WoW reported to only have around 2.2M daily.

AND THE SICK SOUNDTRACK
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.