Author Topic: NA Cav competitions  (Read 2568 times)

Offline [Stryker]

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 92nd CSjt
    • View Profile
    • My Yt Channel
  • Nick: Stryker
  • Side: Union
Re: NA Cav competitions
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 07:36:23 pm »
If you are one of those people that won’t play anything other than cav/spec please disband this thread

*Says we should host tournament to invigorate the NA cav spirit*
*Gets told to disband thread*

Ok I will disband thread bc i enjoy cav xD lolololol. And i am in lineinfatry regiment soooooo maybe you should support community evnets?
You can enjoy cav but don’t go overboard with it like some people have in the past. There used to be people who would ONLY play cavalry or other specialties and it’s fucking stupid because it doesn’t give other regiments who want to be cav once in a while a chance at playing. The same thing can be said for arty and skirm regiments but it became prominent with Les is More and his reg when he tried to buy cav slots for an extended period of time. I want there to be cav things but not entitled fucks who won’t give others a chance at their specialty.

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
  • bring back historical names
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik | 18e
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 07:42:43 pm »
If you are one of those people that won’t play anything other than cav/spec please disband this thread

Ok I will disband thread bc i enjoy cav xD lolololol. And i am in lineinfatry regiment soooooo maybe you should support community evnets?
You can enjoy cav but don’t go overboard with it like some people have in the past. There used to be people who would ONLY play cavalry or other specialties and it’s fucking stupid because it doesn’t give other regiments who want to be cav once in a while a chance at playing. The same thing can be said for arty and skirm regiments but it became prominent with Les is More and his reg when he tried to buy cav slots for an extended period of time. I want there to be cav things but not entitled fucks who won’t give others a chance at their specialty.

I mean isn't most of your post just explaining what a specialty regiment is? If you're an arty regiment you're going to try and get artillery at most events you go to. If you don't you either play line or don't play at all. While it sucks -- that's kinda the point of being a specialty regiment. I don't agree with what Les did at all though, don't get me wrong. There's always a "chance" to let other regiments play if they sign up for the spec before a specialty regiment does. Even in a lot of old events that I went to when I was new to the game did signups the way most of NA does them now. Some had you sign up a week in advance and some just had pre-determined spec slots based on the specialty regiments. Back then I guess it was simpler due to the diversity of the regiments playing and most regiments being line infantry based and content with just that.

Offline [Stryker]

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 92nd CSjt
    • View Profile
    • My Yt Channel
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 07:49:07 pm »

I mean isn't most of your post just explaining what a specialty regiment is? If you're an arty regiment you're going to try and get artillery at most events you go to. If you don't you either play line or don't play at all. While it sucks -- that's kinda the point of being a specialty regiment. I don't agree with what Les did at all though, don't get me wrong. There's always a "chance" to let other regiments play if they sign up for the spec before a specialty regiment does. Even in a lot of old events that I went to when I was new to the game did signups the way most of NA does them now. Some had you sign up a week in advance and some just had pre-determined spec slots based on the specialty regiments. Back then I guess it was simpler due to the diversity of the regiments playing and most regiments being line infantry based and content with just that.
I’m completely fine with specialty regiments as long as
A.) They are willing to play line once in a while, and will play in events despite not having a specialty
B.) Willing to share their specialty with a different regiment once in a while
C.) Don’t try to find scummy methods that keep getting them specialties (ie. Les)
D.) Don’t discourage competition of that specialty (ie all the good cav players stacking a single reg resulting in unfair skill balance)

Offline Jazzcommander

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jazz
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 07:51:03 pm »
Just post before them lmao, everyone has a chance at getting a specialty equally

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 07:52:56 pm »

A.) They are willing to play line once in a while, and will play in events despite not having a specialty
C.) Don’t try to find scummy methods that keep getting them specialties (ie. Les)
D.) Don’t discourage competition of that specialty (ie all the good cav players stacking a single reg resulting in unfair skill balance)

I 100% agree with B,C,D. I don't 100% agree with A. If you're an arty regiment and most of your members are there for playing arty you're not gonna be able to force them to play line. In a worst case scenario most people would leave and you'd have a 2-3 man line if that (since Arty is typically small numbers anyway). Not many leaders are going to attend an event with 2-3 guys. I know I wouldn't if I was trying to do a serious and/or organized regiment and not memeing.

Offline [Stryker]

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 92nd CSjt
    • View Profile
    • My Yt Channel
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 08:05:21 pm »

I 100% agree with B,C,D. I don't 100% agree with A. If you're an arty regiment and most of your members are there for playing arty you're not gonna be able to force them to play line. In a worst case scenario most people would leave and you'd have a 2-3 man line if that (since Arty is typically small numbers anyway). Not many leaders are going to attend an event with 2-3 guys. I know I wouldn't if I was trying to do a serious and/or organized regiment and not memeing.
Point A comes from more of an event host perspective. Let’s say this specialty regiment is really big and makes up a good amount of the event. If they don’t get that specialty that’s a portion of the event that won’t show up or if they do have few people. This puts pressure on the event host to give the regiment its specialty for event number reasons

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 08:16:58 pm »
Spoiler

Point A comes from more of an event host perspective. Let’s say this specialty regiment is really big and makes up a good amount of the event. If they don’t get that specialty that’s a portion of the event that won’t show up or if they do have few people. This puts pressure on the event host to give the regiment its specialty for event number reasons
[close]

Oh for sure. If they're a large regiment and THEY ALL leave then it definitely sucks from a hosting perspective. Like I said though, you can't really force people to stay these days. It goes back to the convo we had in TS last night. Years ago you could "punish" members for not attending events or whatever without a valid reason. You can't really do that these days as they'd just leave and you'd shoot yourself in the foot.

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 06:43:50 am »
I think Les hosted a 2v2 Cav tournament last year and had like 16-20 teams so its possible for sure. Just find someone willing to host the tournament and to help you spread the word about the tournament.

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2020, 06:48:42 am »
Spoiler

[close]

Oh for sure. If they're a large regiment and THEY ALL leave then it definitely sucks from a hosting perspective. Like I said though, you can't really force people to stay these days. It goes back to the convo we had in TS last night. Years ago you could "punish" members for not attending events or whatever without a valid reason. You can't really do that these days as they'd just leave and you'd shoot yourself in the foot.
Like I mentioned on the corrupt thread people just want to play specalities more nowadays because line at pub events can get boring. I get stryker you want to play specialities but the only thing you can do is sign up first.  Its sad to see when you go to events nowadays and see more specality units then actual Inf Lines.

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Like I mentioned on the corrupt thread people just want to play specalities more nowadays because line at pub events can get boring. I get stryker you want to play specialities but the only thing you can do is sign up first.  Its sad to see when you go to events nowadays and see more specality units then actual Inf Lines.

This

Going back to the topic -- I would personally enjoy a Cav thing. I could possibly talk to Xethos about using the HMs server for it. The only problem with that is most of the events use the HMs server already so there would definitely be scheduling constraints.

Offline Hess

• Captain
  • 83rdPA, 4eme, 8e, 2ndNYSM
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hess
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 08:04:32 pm »
Yea, to further explain what Nickcole said, I made an entire document literally proving specialties were broken given specific conditions. No reason to play full specialties on an event with less than 160 people. Even with 200 people, the specialties to line ratio is near 50/50 giving line a slight advantage.

Offline Xethos

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik_Marshal_Xethos
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2020, 11:08:22 pm »
Going back to the topic -- I would personally enjoy a Cav thing. I could possibly talk to Xethos about using the HMs server for it. The only problem with that is most of the events use the HMs server already so there would definitely be scheduling constraints.

This would not be an issue. I can run as many instances of NW servers as I want, and the limiting factor for performance (beside Warband's amazing networking) is the number of cores on the box.

That said, I don't imagine you would want to schedule this sort of thing during an event that your target audience is already going to.
04:25:13 - [Cup_of_Tea] Hey Xethos! I bet you're a gentleman of less than reputable quality!

Offline LES IS MOREx

• Second Lieutenant
  • Leader of 2eDLG & Owner of Bush Wookie Gaming
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [2eDLG]Mjr_LES_IS_MOREx
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 03:06:29 am »
2eDLG is reforming for this
Cant win if you dont play.

Offline [Stryker]

• Lieutenant Colonel