Author Topic: An Apology To God, Country, and Community  (Read 3856 times)

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
An Apology To God, Country, and Community
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:00:44 pm »
Friends, family, citizens of the republic, I have come before you today to offer a sincere apology. In short, I am a fraud. That's right, I am the modern day Paul the Apostle. I have fabricated claims and stolen from other mythologies to help boost my intellectual ego. The illusion has been shattered, there is now nowhere for me to hide. I must be truthful with all of you. Do I feel shame? Absolutely not, for if my mind was to be shattered over the internet, I would most certainly be unable to function in reality (at a bare minimum of course). Like many who came before me, I am guilty of pushing an agenda I so very wanted to be true that separating fiction from truth mattered little. You could say that my agenda is simply to convince myself of my own personal failings. That they be so overwhelming to push me over the edge into falsities and fabrications. In fact, that might be entirely true. Do I want anything said to come about in reckoning fashion? Most certainly, humanity was gifted its chance to ascend over any other being and we have failed miserably. I will not say that extinction is on the horizon, but we will most definitely suffer for our arrogance. This apology may not be genuine, but the ramblings will continue nonetheless. This entire paper might even be said to be my final attempt at salvation, or maybe it's just a young man trying to convince himself that he is not entirely insane. After all, it is merely fruit salad!

Where did this start you ask? Well, to be quite honest I'm not entirely sure myself. The failing academic ability in middle school could be perhaps the first indication of my fraudulent beginnings, but it may go deeper than that. A collapsing life at home  could also be brought forth to blame, though that too may be lacking in credibility. Some strong sense of dread had overcome me soon after the death of many close to me, likely leading to the failing grades I had suffered throughout my initial education. Development in maturity could be said to have entirely halted during this era, as I no longer wished to put effort into much beyond eating and breathing. Why struggle to succeed in a world where so much is stolen from so few? It seemed so easy, and for a long time it was. When you stare straight into the dullness that is existence, it becomes rather difficult to take anything and anyone seriously. Take this with a grain of salt, but when the first thought that enters your head is to terminate your own existence, the line between decency and barbarity is blurred. Now, after all I've done, the pain caused and the lives ruined, why should you take anything I'm saying seriously? Well, you shouldn't, for why would you buy into stranger's ramblings on the internet that aren't even entirely theirs? The whole point of these papers in the first place was not just to convince the reader, but myself as well.

This may very well be the greatest contradiction to our existence. We so desperately want certain things to be true that we will sometimes go to extreme lengths in order to achieve it. The Christians wanted to believe that there is God and Satan, Heaven and Hell, sin and virtue, that they wrote myths borrowed off other myths in order to satisfy this urge. Why do we have children? In order to fulfill our biological urges and continue the endless game of gene preservation. Of course, we delude ourselves into thinking that it is more than that, hence the brain's tendency for imagination. This is what I initially set out to do, to disprove every notion of commonality we so preciously shared with each other. To see what our existence entailed in full light. The error I committed was being guilty of the very thing I set out to refute. Scammed myself into thinking that I was right, and they were wrong. As you can see, it seems I've dug myself into the same camp as the rest, concluding to be no different than every other pour soul that inhabits this blue rock. Previous postulations have led me to believe that the self-termination of our being is the only "logical" thing to do when this realization rears its ugly face.

Philip Mainländer, a relatively unknown philosopher of the 19th century, had theorized that our existence was the result of the Christian God's suicide. It is further explained that God had killed himself due to being overwhelmed by his own life. Unable to bear it any longer, the deity so steeped in human culture committed cosmic destruction to save himself from existence. The result is what we see here: the universe and all of its creation. However, Mainländer did not believe in God, so the work must be determined to be a massive analogy towards our own predicament. Theological interpretations must not be considered literal in this treatise, as Philip was most likely trying to replicate a universal experience under more familiar circumstances. Mainländer penned his work during his time as cuirassier in the German army, killing himself not too long after. He titled his magnum opus Die Philosophie der Erlösung (The Philosophy of Redemption), and details many of existence's misgivings. Most of the book has not been translated from the native language, but enough can be extrapolated to understand Mainländer 's core thesis: it is better to die as soon as possible. This conclusion, depending on your viewpoints, is either with or without merit. Even for the most pessimistic old fool of the flock,  Mainländer may be deemed to be too extreme, and rightfully so. Perhaps the most striking interpretation that can be drawn from The Philosophy of Redemption is that our slow spiral into maximum entropy is merely the universe redeeming itself for have being created without consent.  In his own words, “God has died, and his death was the life of the world.” Going further, Mainländer puts forth the notion that our eventual annihilation is not something to be feared, but instead an action that we should strive towards. In other words, mankind can only achieve equilibrium and redemption through extinction by its own hand. Every other action would have been in vain, for it is just another futile attempt to combat the void. However, we mustn't assume that Mainländer was preaching the truth here. Rather, it was merely another philosophical elucidation concerning these curious, anxiety-ridden chimps. Is Mainländer right? I don't know, you tell me. 

In short, why bother? The struggle no longer starts with getting out of bed. It has extended to the point where I'm not sure if the food or the noose has more appeal. I suppose you could call me a pseudo-Christian adhering to certain Buddhist principles. God is dead (well at least metaphorically), and our existence serves no meaning other than to cheat and lie till we are somewhat satisfied. This why I do these things; because I cannot simply fathom a reason as to why you would put 100% effort into something that contributes so little to annihilation. It's entirely possible that everything written above isn't even mine to begin with. Hell, it could be the suicide note of some poor sap in high school who struggled with a breakup. You can never be too sure right? This is what the mind does to us. When the circle completes itself, you are left with nothing but half-truths and delusions in an effort to convince the mind that all is well, and that everything will be okay in the end (well, in my case not really). This is what desperation does to the mind. If you value yourself and your time here, you will not grasp at straws to validate your own beliefs. You will be self-critical and thoroughly seek within yourself the questions that can and cannot be answered. Please dear reader, this realization of despair came before me all too late. I beg of you, don't be like me. Do not be driven by such a horrible thirst for affirmation that you steal and falsify. Be better than that.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 10:22:25 pm by Sgt.Winters »

Offline JollyCanadian

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I fucking got out bitches | 84th Geezer | 2929
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: An Apology To God, Country, and Community
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:51 pm »
5x NACR Elect | Current: Glenn's Husband|ex- 84th/15e/17th/30th(OG)/USMC/58e/26e/

Offline Piktonss

• Colonel
    • View Profile

Offline Cwater

• Major
  • Pretty much a self hating Jew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ~38e~ReichsFuhrer_Himmler
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:10 pm »
I guess that ‘Best Memer’ award really went to his head...

Offline Eamon

• Major
  • LtCol of the 15th_YR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Irish
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 09:28:39 am »
Spartan is on the case

Offline Cytiuz

• Captain
  • 25y till I die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 09:29:37 am »

Offline Janne

• Lieutenant General
  • keep yourself safe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 01:49:01 pm »
youre mentally ill

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 04:00:32 pm »
At least he admitted it when caught. Take care Winters.
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 11:18:41 pm »
Nihilism is the great scourge of our time; resist its evils and take back the fruit of life

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

|Viper|

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 06:26:29 am »
This is why you're skinny

Offline Maple™

• Captain
  • GLORIOUS MELEE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Boy Wonder
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 05:42:31 am »
Jeez, talk about being verbose lol
Like Theo said, this post-modernist materialist mindset really is the scourge of our time. It's really only in these 1st world countries where we're incredible comfortable in our technology that we whine about existential suffering. Back in antiquity most understood that suffering was normal. It is the nature and role of "The Satan" to poison your mind with atheistic/nihilistic thoughts. Satan is the parasite of God. He is the evil that destroys itself in order to perpetuate his kingdom, for if he plunged the world into ultimate chaos and destroyed mankind, he would cease to exist. You seem to dread (If this is you and not a copypasta) that humanity is going to end, but is there any other way? We are finite beings interacting with an infinite universe. We are all guilty of original sin; the sin to be God. We wanted to decide what is right for our lives and God allowed us to do so, and now we complain that everything is without meaning. God is sovereign over all, even Satan, but most won't accept The Lord because they fear they will be a "slave" (Again, people thinking they know what is best). You are given freewill to choose your father, whether he be Satan or The Lord. The biggest delusion and lie is believing that the entire universe was created by chance. If these great men of science say everything is designed with a purpose why would the universe be exempt from that rule? 

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 06:03:12 am »
Wtf did i just read?

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 06:46:02 am »
Jeez, talk about being verbose lol
Like Theo said, this post-modernist materialist mindset really is the scourge of our time. It's really only in these 1st world countries where we're incredible comfortable in our technology that we whine about existential suffering. Back in antiquity most understood that suffering was normal. It is the nature and role of "The Satan" to poison your mind with atheistic/nihilistic thoughts. Satan is the parasite of God. He is the evil that destroys itself in order to perpetuate his kingdom, for if he plunged the world into ultimate chaos and destroyed mankind, he would cease to exist. You seem to dread (If this is you and not a copypasta) that humanity is going to end, but is there any other way? We are finite beings interacting with an infinite universe. We are all guilty of original sin; the sin to be God. We wanted to decide what is right for our lives and God allowed us to do so, and now we complain that everything is without meaning. God is sovereign over all, even Satan, but most won't accept The Lord because they fear they will be a "slave" (Again, people thinking they know what is best). You are given freewill to choose your father, whether he be Satan or The Lord. The biggest delusion and lie is believing that the entire universe was created by chance. If these great men of science say everything is designed with a purpose why would the universe be exempt from that rule?
I'm going to have to disagree.

There is no evidence of God, Satan, Angels, miracles and whatnot. We are merely another cog in the evolutionary machine; the only self aware species after 4.5 billion years of natural selection and blind biological gene mutation. Our actions are dictated by a mix of environmental determinism and sapient compatibilism. We are stuck in an endless loop of gene delusion that cannot be broken. Mankind suffers from the same faults as every other species: become the top of the food chain, reproduce and consume at an unsustainable  rate, die off en-masse. Hell, most of us must deny our own mortality and existential predicament just to get out of bed every day. Nature did not provide us with enough cognitive abilities to function without a higher power overall. Sure, the individual may be able to come to that conclusion and live a "good" life. However, once you pull all of mankind into that equation, and you got a group of confused monkeys drinking, fucking, and killing their way into bland hedonism. It's a humanist's worst nightmare; a biological dead end.

If there is a God then I cannot see how he would justify his creation and call it good. A creation, mind you, that has rendered 99.98% of its inhabitant species extinct, allows the suffering of trillions of organisms daily, and will ultimately be consumed by the very thing that allows it to thrive in the first place. It's unfathomable how fucked this whole situation is, and how we must shelter and delude ourselves in order to maintain a thin veil of sanity. The worst part is that none of us even asked to participate in this mess. This life is thrust upon us without anyone asking in the first place. It may be an unpopular stance, but birth may very well be worse (or at least on par) than murder or rape. I've unfortunately come to somewhat resent my parents for their actions, though I remained conflicted as to whether or not to blame them for it. After all, this is just what happens, as it has since the beginning.

Dawkins in River Out of Eden:

"The total amount of suffering per year in the natural world is beyond all decent contemplation. During the minute that it takes me to compose this sentence, thousands of animals are being eaten alive, many others are running for their lives, whimpering with fear, others are slowly being devoured from within by rasping parasites, thousands of all kinds are dying of starvation, thirst, and disease. It must be so. If there ever is a time of plenty, this very fact will automatically lead to an increase in the population until the natural state of starvation and misery is restored. In a universe of electrons and selfish genes, blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe that we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but pitiless indifference."

Offline Theodin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2020, 08:30:55 am »
Looking for the existence of a God but means of an evidentiary standard is like trying to run through a concrete wall to get to the other side - it is pointless, and your labour will be in vain. Adopt the Kierkegaardian approach!

The nihilism you preach is not the great arbiter of capital T Truth it masquerades as - nihilism makes itself out to be the Explainer but in the end it is like other second rate philosophies - an intellectual vacuum, a black hole of incredulity, ludicrousness, and psychological despair. Nihilists will point at materialist hypotheses and proclaim the Proof has been found for the meaningless of existence, but meaning is not something that either is or isn’t - you can create it! If nihilism were the great revealer it pretends to be, why does it want to feed? “You must know the truth so you too may discard your life away” is the essence of that philosophy - a self serving evil fit for only the worst among us.

There is a reason that great thinkers of many disciplines across time rejected this meaninglessness, and it certainly is not because they weren’t willing to confront the sweet evil of its message.

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  3x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) (71st Guards + Russian) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place l 1x 4v4-
 3rd Place (Theodin, AsianP, Sleek, Godfried, Lurvy) l 1x 5v5 - 1st Place (RussianFury, Yoshie, Krastinov, Jorge, Theodin - Thanos and his children)

Offline DrunkenSpartan

• Sergeant Major
  • Run towards the sound of thunder :P It's more fun.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Fus_Spartan
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2020, 09:32:45 am »
I will take a slightly different approach. If our current understanding of the Rare Earth hypothesis proves correct, and it is indeed highly improbable for intelligent life to form in what is ultimately a universe thought to be finite in time (albeit perhaps infinite in space) does that not make life evermore precious, evermore meaningful? Especially so given that intelligent life, the gift of reasoning could perhaps be nearly extinct so early in the age of the universe? If the heat death theory is correct, we are already past the height of the star-forming era. One day the last star will be born, the last star will live and die, and then an era of black holes will emerge that will leave the universe dull and dark until they too begin to decay and die. So, given this possible eventuality, is it not even more important to cherish and protect life or to value intelligence, achievement, and meaning in it? I will leave that up to you, but I believe the answer is clear. Dismissing meaning or spirituality simply because the universe may end up being nothing more than the random assortment of particles under various levels of mechanical influence is foolhardy. Rather we should endeavor to understand and make use of as much of the universe as we can while we have our run as a species. Personally I think Kardashev 2 status is only a millennium or two away, however I can understand if I come off as overly optimistic in that regard. Hope that helps a bit.
It's the same old thing since 1916
In your head, in your head they're still fighting
With their tanks and their bombs
And air bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head they are dying...