Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars Draft League (5v5) {Season 2 Thread}{Champions: Hellraisers}  (Read 57506 times)

Offline Cytiuz

• Captain
  • 25y till I die
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: North American Draft League Season 2 {Main Thread}{Week 3}
« Reply #480 on: September 11, 2019, 05:30:36 am »
Why would we have 4 teams make a "playoffs" it isn't a playoffs at that point. Takes the dynamic out of why you have playoffs. What the real problem is, is the limited amount of teams. Having six teams to begin with really makes it hard to have a legit playoff. If you wanna make playoffs more meaningful put all the teams in. Most tournaments will use regular matches as a means to place a team, not to cut them because of a poor performance. Then there is no real reality to having a underdog team. You just have your four best who take the fun out of seeing a undervalued teams battle there way through. Some teams perform better when they have faced a team once. You see this all the time in sports. I think cutting a team or cutting two teams would be a horrible decision. There wouldn't be a means of learning from your mistakes if you cut teams with this short of a season(it would make more sense if we had like 32 games or something higher). The reason why some major sports leagues cut people out of playoffs is mainly because there are just to many teams to have a real tension in playoffs. No one wants to sit through (for example the NBA) 30 team playoff. It really isn't interesting. In this leagues case there wouldn't be a reason to cut teams out of playoffs. Every team is able to beat every other team in this league. This league is made up of the top players in NA(mainly) so anyone can come from behind and win it. This might as well be just be a tournament rather then a league if the playoff is that small.

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Steam: [LG] Wastee
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #481 on: September 11, 2019, 05:31:00 am »
Whats the point of having playoffs if you're gonna have all the teams there. Its basically an extended regular season.
If this was a 8 team + league I would be for that. But only 4 teams in playoffs is poo that's 1-2 weeks of playoffs :( it's already a short league so the more matches the better imo

Also given how short the league is this gives teams a chance still, otherwise if you lose 3 or 4 matches those teams might as well give up

"I may never make a list, and I may never make the hall of fame, but by God, I made the competitive mailing list" - Undisclosed Gamer

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #482 on: September 11, 2019, 05:47:08 am »
I liked it better when cytiuz was undrafted tbh
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fartknocker
« Reply #483 on: September 11, 2019, 06:07:24 am »
Why would we have 4 teams make a "playoffs" it isn't a playoffs at that point. Takes the dynamic out of why you have playoffs. What the real problem is, is the limited amount of teams. Having six teams to begin with really makes it hard to have a legit playoff. If you wanna make playoffs more meaningful put all the teams in. Most tournaments will use regular matches as a means to place a team, not to cut them because of a poor performance. Then there is no real reality to having a underdog team. You just have your four best who take the fun out of seeing a undervalued teams battle there way through. Some teams perform better when they have faced a team once. You see this all the time in sports. I think cutting a team or cutting two teams would be a horrible decision. There wouldn't be a means of learning from your mistakes if you cut teams with this short of a season(it would make more sense if we had like 32 games or something higher). The reason why some major sports leagues cut people out of playoffs is mainly because there are just to many teams to have a real tension in playoffs. No one wants to sit through (for example the NBA) 30 team playoff. It really isn't interesting. In this leagues case there wouldn't be a reason to cut teams out of playoffs. Every team is able to beat every other team in this league. This league is made up of the top players in NA(mainly) so anyone can come from behind and win it. This might as well be just be a tournament rather then a league if the playoff is that small.

Whats the point of having playoffs if you're gonna have all the teams there. Its basically an extended regular season.
If this was a 8 team + league I would be for that. But only 4 teams in playoffs is poo that's 1-2 weeks of playoffs :( it's already a short league so the more matches the better imo

Also given how short the league is this gives teams a chance still, otherwise if you lose 3 or 4 matches those teams might as well give up
63e pawn in an anti-63e world.

Offline GeneralSquirts

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • some pleb
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 11, 2019, 06:12:11 am »

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
tldr
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
« Reply #485 on: September 11, 2019, 01:33:30 pm »
I liked it better when cytiuz was undrafted tbh

Offline sidney crosby

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2019, 05:13:01 pm »

playoffs are reserved for the best teams in a league to play for a championship, the regular season holds no value if everybody makes it. You want to be in the playoffs I get it, but that’s not very fair to everyone else.

also any NBA team can beat any NBA team on any given night and only half the teams make the playoffs

Offline Brian Chiu

• Second Lieutenant
  • DUB BABY DUB
    • View Profile
  • Nick: hairdresser69
« Reply #487 on: September 11, 2019, 07:09:29 pm »
why do you type so much

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
« Reply #488 on: September 11, 2019, 08:01:36 pm »
why do you type so much

Had a lot of time to think about what to say since he went undrafted and couldn't play with the teams for a bit.

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 11, 2019, 10:52:36 pm »

playoffs are reserved for the best teams in a league to play for a championship, the regular season holds no value if everybody makes it. You want to be in the playoffs I get it, but that’s not very fair to everyone else.

also any NBA team can beat any NBA team on any given night and only half the teams make the playoffs

If this league had 30 teams like the NBA then it would make sense to cut teams from the playoffs. This league has 6 teams. The highest seeded teams get the easiest matchups. Therefore likely easy wins. It at least gives the worse teams a chance to beat them. Instead of getting stomped the whole league for no reason.

I’d rather have it be most points at the end of the season is the champion instead of a 4 team playoff. A 4 team playoff is so fucking stupid lmao

Offline Windflower

• Board Moderator
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #490 on: September 11, 2019, 11:39:03 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

I’d rather have it be most points at the end of the season is the champion instead of a 4 team playoff. A 4 team playoff is so fucking stupid lmao
There's pros and cons to doing both and it's really personal preference. Seems most people prefer the other option.
Not like we have the luxury of having 8+ teams nor have we ever had that luxury. This seems to be the most feasible way to implement a playoffs in a 6 team league.

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2019, 11:55:29 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

There's pros and cons to doing both and it's really personal preference. Seems most people prefer the other option.
Not like we have the luxury of having 8+ teams nor have we ever had that luxury. This seems to be the most feasible way to implement a playoffs in a 6 team league.

The most feasible way to have playoffs in a 6 team league is to have all 6 teams participate. The best teams are scared to face the worst teams and would rather there be only 4 in the playoffs. That’d be the only reason not to do it. I just don’t get what’s so hard about the best teams in the regular season getting the highest seeds and playing the worst teams.

Why would us on Minutemen even try if we know we can’t participate later? We can go out and try to not be in last place. I think we can still win matches. But it’s unrealistic to expect us to be a top 4 team with the situation that we are in now.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #492 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:52 am »
Spoiler
[close]

The most feasible way to have playoffs in a 6 team league is to have all 6 teams participate. The best teams are scared to face the worst teams and would rather there be only 4 in the playoffs. That’d be the only reason not to do it. I just don’t get what’s so hard about the best teams in the regular season getting the highest seeds and playing the worst teams.

Why would us on Minutemen even try if we know we can’t participate later?We can go out and try to not be in last place. I think we can still win matches. But it’s unrealistic to expect us to be a top 4 team with the situation that we are in now.
dont you have to show up to try?

The 2nd place team has 1 win
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Fartknocker

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 12, 2019, 02:58:14 am »
Spoiler
[close]

Why would us on Minutemen even try if we know we can’t participate later?We can go out and try to not be in last place. I think we can still win matches. But it’s unrealistic to expect us to be a top 4 team with the situation that we are in now.

My point still stands...

Offline Stroke0fd34th

• Major General
  • Luck is for people who are too lazy to train
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Godfreid
« Reply #494 on: September 12, 2019, 03:24:55 am »
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]

My point still stands...
[close]

No. If you're going to do "everyone makes it to the playoffs" you may as well just cut out the playoffs entirely or just do a standard tournament single elim from the start instead of having us play 5 weeks of matches + playoffs. It's dumb to do "everyone makes the playoffs" because there's literally no motivation for anyone to try, just forfeit the rest of their matches, face whoever it is in the playoffs and be done with it all lmao.