Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 520185 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread
« Reply #4845 on: January 30, 2019, 03:39:12 pm »
You don't understand what a psychopath is.

I do actually. Even if you don't have the same definition as I have, it doesn't matter. Military personnel need to be of sound judgement and no type of mental disorder will make them any more effective.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: January 30, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »
No but drugs do.

Offline Svensson

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: January 31, 2019, 07:31:23 pm »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »
Hey how is Brexit going?

Offline Svensson

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: January 31, 2019, 07:38:52 pm »
Hey how is Brexit going?

'If you want further proof that Project Fear 2.0 is being coordinated by the EU here it is from a Swedish National Newspaper. Not only is the EU trying to intimidate the British , it is also telling the peoples of Europe ‘this will happen to you too’ if you dare leave the EU.'

Sums it up pretty nicely.

https://www.facebook.com/libertarianuk/photos/a.670923626266223/2710716402286925/?type=3&theater

Brussels elite are trying their best to intimidate the rest of Europe of what would happen if anyone else chose to leave too.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: January 31, 2019, 08:03:22 pm »
Yeah. No. I know that a lot of people fall for the 'the deal is bad because the EU wants to scare people into submission' but that ignores the pretty clear fact that in none of the 27 member states there is a government even considering leaving the European Union and the single market. What country would leave? Poland has 90% support for European Union membership. Italy isn't even considering leaving the Euro anymore. The German AfD leadership is trying to kick leaving the EU from their party platform. Hungarian politicians need to be able to afford their mansions.

For some reason, the British can't just come to terms with the fact that a better deal is not possible and if it were, the EU and the EU27 are under absolutely no obligation to give it to them. I know a lot of people say that the EU could do this or that, but fact is they're not going to and if your only responds is 'WELL THAT'S COS YOU'RE EVIL' it pretty much shows how dilusional you are.  Our prime minister literally just tweeted this.

Spoke with @JunckerEU. #Brexit now in final fase. The EU is united; the Withdrawal Agreement is the best and only deal on the table. Awaiting proposal from UK that is acceptable to EU and will enable ratfication in the UK.

That's coming from what is perhaps the most pragmatic, market-friendly European leader in a country that has arguebly the most to lose from a hard Brexit. We're heading full steam ahead to the poo, and the only strategy the British politician seem to have is to prepare to blame the European Union. Like I said before, it would be pretty funny if it wouldn't hit us so hard as well. Ironic, considering we have been close allies within European Union, NATO and as trading partners. Cheers.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4851 on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:27 pm »
Personally I just hate GB and want to see it die because Marks lives there and he always asks me to make the 3rd Ark, but I don't want to make the 3rd Ark, so leave me alone Marks, ok? Thanks.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4852 on: January 31, 2019, 09:51:06 pm »
Nobody cares about what the President of Holland has to say.

'No Deal' is going to happen if the backstop isn't removed, and for the UK it probably won't be that bad. You will have alienated a major economy on your doorstep and the EU will have to go to the negotiating table anyway to hash out a few 'mini-deals' to enable access to London financial markets and other things. I fully expect Ireland to be abandoned like the total irrelevance that it actually is, since everyone knows Brussels doesn't give a shit about peace or whatever they just wanted to weaponize it for the negotiations. Factor in the weakness of the Eurozone economy and it's pretty clear that you guys can't win a game of chicken with us. We will win this small victory at least.

You do make an interesting point re: Eurosceptic parties toning down. I think that's because a) economic reality (you guys are much more economically dependent on the EU than we are), and b) they actually have a very good chance to seize control of the Brussels institutions over the next 10 years. If the populist/nationalist parties pooled their MEPs then they'd currently be the the 3rd biggest in the EU "Parliament". I wonder how many they'll have after May? What a shame it would be if a literal neo-Nazi from Eastern Europe became President of the EU Commission in 2024 (you only need to be proposed by the biggest group in the "parliament" after all). That'd be terrible because I'd probably die laughing.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: January 31, 2019, 11:47:40 pm »
There is no such thing as the president of Holland.

Firstly, because we don't have a president.
Secondly, because we're not Holland.

What you're looking for is Prime Minister of the Netherlands.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Sgt.Winters

• Captain
  • Wut
    • View Profile
  • Nick: look at me
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4854 on: January 31, 2019, 11:51:25 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if the USMC was full of psychopaths

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #4855 on: February 01, 2019, 12:03:27 am »
'No Deal' is going to happen if the backstop isn't removed, and for the UK it probably won't be that bad.

Factor in the weakness of the Eurozone economy and it's pretty clear that you guys can't win a game of chicken with us. We will win this small victory at least.

Hahahahahahaha - oh god, you're serious?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: February 01, 2019, 01:42:06 am »

Well, nobody's ever been there so we'll never know for sure.

Hahahahahahaha - oh god, you're serious?

Yeah I'm deadly serious. Eurozone interest rates are at -0.4%, ECB has wound down QE and growth is minuscule. They have nowhere to go. You think they're going to risk a huge economic shock for the Irish? Lmao, these people didn't give a shit about the Greeks so what makes the Irish so special? Even without the backstop they still have a really good deal.

Offline Piercee

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • SOUTH AFRICAN WAR DOG - NWWC 2019 WINNER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: February 01, 2019, 02:11:37 am »

Firstly, because we don't have a president.
Secondly, because we're not Holland.

What you're looking for is Prime Minister of the Netherlands.

I mean I hate people saying Holland to describe the whole of the Netherlands as much as you.

But you really do sound autistic only taking that as a point from his post.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: February 01, 2019, 09:32:10 am »
I didn't give a shit about the rest.

Someone who basically says a closed border between Northern Ireland and Ireland is 'not a bad deal for the Brits' is fine to stick to his own profession, but clearly has little idea what's going on outside of it.
It's a fucking powder keg down there and it has a significant potential to blow up. The Second Troubles is a good title for a wiki page, don't you think?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:58 pm »
I'm a corporate lawyer by profession, most of my time these days is devoted to Brexit related matters.

There's not going to be a closed border, mainly because not a single piece of infrastructure has been built to allow that to happen. If it's a 'no deal' then traffic will continue to flow and the EU will almost certainly end up introducing checks in the Celtic Sea (Irish and British goods alike will be subject to customs controls in continental Europe). Ireland will not like that, so we'll end up with a negotiated settlement somewhere down the line. If that happens then it's Ireland's fault, since Varadkar scrapped the UK/Irish technical team working on the border when he became PM and insisted on allowing Brussels to weaponise the issue.