Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 520262 times)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #4125 on: August 11, 2018, 06:01:00 pm »
Last I checked it was camp Remain arguing against Brexit in order to protect their holidays. You'd be well versed in that pathetic argument had any of you watched the BBC's public debates or checked Twitter during the referendum.

We even got a small taste of it right here on the forums a month or two ago:

Spoiler
I sure hate using the same currency everywhere, being able to travel around freely, cheap flights, being able to expect the same laws and food standards anywhere in Europe. It really sucks.
I wish it would take me 4hours just to cross the Dutch border, like when I was young. Man, it was so much fun going to France, being checked at every border, taking hours just to spend a day at the sea in Holland, then having to convert my money with a crappy exchange rate, just to buy some icecream. SO MUCH FUN.
I also really hate going to countries like Malta and seeing all those EU projects popping up. All those restored Forts and Castles are just so ugly... It is also retarded that I can easily use my credit card anywhere in Europe. Or that I do not have to pay VAT when buying stuff from other European countries with my company account. It just sucks. Not being taxated twice also fucking sucks, like seriously. I would love to pay income tax twice and pay additional VAT on it. I hate doing buisness in other countries, it is just to easy.

Personally, I would be so much better off without the EU, I do not profit from the EU at all!
[close]

Yes, make it harder for tourists to travel to countries whose economy is completely reliant on tourism; that'll teach those filthy Brexiteers! It sure is unlike the EU to put politics above the welfare of its member states now, isn't it.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4126 on: August 11, 2018, 06:02:10 pm »
£6 is hardly going to stop people travelling

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: August 11, 2018, 06:10:12 pm »
Harder =/= stop

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: August 11, 2018, 06:11:30 pm »
It's nothing to do with free movement, it's about the EU deciding to charge tourists. The US does not have free movement with the UK yet Americans can come here for tourism purposes Visa free for up to 6 months.

If Brussels wants to charge UK tourists then that's up to them. The real question is how this will work re: the Common Travel Area between the UK and Ireland. If Brits travelling from NI to Dublin have to pay £6 then Sinn Fein will throw a tantrum and EU politicians can probably expect a visit from the IRA. Make sure you check under your cars lads..

So how much time is left until a deal must have been signed in time for the parliaments to approve it?

Do you mean the withdrawal agreement or the trade deal?
£6 is nothing for entry to a country. It's another example of people getting fussed over something which is their own making. You lose privileges such as free entry when you voted to leave the EU. Besides, if we're all going to be better off after Brexit as you lot say then surely £6 is worth that cost, right?

'£6 is nothing'

It's not the money but the principle behind it. I guess it's bad PR for the EU tourism industry but this was not why I said it was stupid. It's more about how it's going to work within the British Isles where there's a Common Travel Area. Either Ireland opts out or the UK is made exempt. Given the EU's sudden fascination with respecting the Good Friday Agreement I'm sure they'll take one of those options (and if not then Juncker will have to run the risk of being blown up by the IRA).

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: August 11, 2018, 06:29:08 pm »
Well that's the difficulty of negotiating to leave when the UK is so heavily tied into the EU. How do you respect past agreements like good friday whilst getting what you want? It kind of feels like the vote was made before anybody actually had any solid plan for the withdrawal. That's just demonstrated by the lack of any deal yet.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: August 11, 2018, 08:56:43 pm »
Well that's the difficulty of negotiating to leave when the UK is so heavily tied into the EU. How do you respect past agreements like good friday whilst getting what you want?

Fun fact: the EU is not and never has been a signatory to the Good Friday Agreement. It's not even an observer to it.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: August 11, 2018, 09:32:16 pm »
Well that's the difficulty of negotiating to leave when the UK is so heavily tied into the EU. How do you respect past agreements like good friday whilst getting what you want?

Fun fact: the EU is not and never has been a signatory to the Good Friday Agreement. It's not even an observer to it.
No but it has been signed by Ireland, an EU member state.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: August 12, 2018, 02:25:36 am »
France back at it again being greedy. Little difference between Macron and Le Pen when it comes to economic nationalism. And so much for 'Europe stands with Ireland' haha, I think Varadkar actually believed that at one point which is kinda sad. May should go in front of the cameras and claim she'll fight Ireland's corner over this, it'd be hilarious.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/brexit-france-to-veto-re-routed-trade-plan-between-ireland-and-europe-1.3593604

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: August 12, 2018, 10:10:05 am »
When France acts in its own interests it's greedy but when Britain does the same it's fine  ???

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4134 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:58 am »
Unlike other forms of asbestos the UK Govt advises white asbestos cement can be left alone, including on public buildings like schools, and there is no obligation to remove it. Unlike other asbestos products you also don't need to be a licensed contractor to remove it. 

It was the last asbestos product to be banned in the UK (1999), and even then it was on the basis of bad publicity rather than scientific advice (the general public was scared shitless by the word 'asbestos').

As I said, it's quite safe. The release of fibres from it is extremely low (even when broken) and within safety limits.

All I've heard is that it's lower risk than other types but still potent enough to warrant debates and have 50 countries banning it.
The World Health Organization have also been pretty outspoken about wanting a worldwide ban on the substance.

But I'm not educated enough to take a strong stance on the subject all I know is it's not good and it can cause cancer if worked with inproperly.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:41:07 am by Furrnox »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: August 12, 2018, 12:35:53 pm »
When France acts in its own interests it's greedy but when Britain does the same it's fine  ???

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: August 12, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »

When have I ever said that? Of course Britain has always pushed its national interest when it comes to the EU, almost all countries do. The difference is British politicians don't bang on about how 'European' they are, how much they love the EU etc. We've never pretended to be anything like that.

Macron on the other hand styled himself as the ultimate European. He claimed it was his task to build 'more Europe' and push for Eurozone federalism etc. The guy even had 'Ode to Joy' played rather than 'La Marseilles' during his victory rally. Now he's prepared to see the Irish economy take a hit for the sake of a few million euros. Lol.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: August 12, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
It's about priorities. Of course he wants to further European interests, but not at the expense of those who elected him.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: August 12, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »
Macron is pro-European because it's serves French interest.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: August 13, 2018, 05:29:23 pm »
Now *this* is interesting. CANZUK is actively being discussed by the Canadian Conservatives at their big pre-election convention. If it passes it'll be official party policy and form part of the 2019 manifesto.

Should pass given it's backed by the leadership...