Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 526643 times)

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #4035 on: July 13, 2018, 04:44:27 pm »
Surely the most natural course is for Britain to remain closer with the EU since it’s our closest and largest trading partner? It would be massive shift for all of that trade to go to the USA.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4036 on: July 13, 2018, 05:15:31 pm »
Surely the most natural course is for Britain to remain closer with the EU since it’s our closest and largest trading partner? It would be massive shift for all of that trade to go to the USA.

General trend for EU-UK trade is downward and long-term growth prospects for the EU27 are quite poor (terrible demographics, weak investment in tech, Euro, etc). If we always looked at it as a case of current largest trade partner then we wouldn't have even joined the EEC in 1973.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: July 13, 2018, 05:27:18 pm »
We know from the polls conducted in 2016 after the EU referendum that the vast majority of "Brexiteers" voted in order to take back the power of regulation and legislation from EU bureaucrats that nobody voted for. May's recent "Chequer's agreement" involves leaving a lot Luxembourg's jurisdiction alone, hence not remaining true to the intention of the majority of voters in 2016. I believe that's the main cause of a lot of revolt at the minute, though I'm not too sure myself since it's all a bit of a clusterf*ck.

Thoughts on Jeremy Hunt as Foreign Minister? I dare say he may be one of the most despised politicians of our time. 

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: July 13, 2018, 05:33:32 pm »
What’s the likelihood that trade to the US increases to the extent that it replaces the majority of our EU trade? Because right now we trade more with them than with the rest of the world combined (exports and imports). I’m no trade expert but what are the odds of a seismic shift in where we export our goods to? Genuinely curious btw not trying to disagree

The revolts are definitely because of her strategy. It seems to be very unpopular with the majority of Brexit voters which isn’t good for her position obviously. Jeremy Hunt is a bit of a cunt as they say.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:35:38 pm by Toffee »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4039 on: July 13, 2018, 05:59:56 pm »
What’s the likelihood that trade to the US increases to the extent that it replaces the majority of our EU trade? Because right now we trade more with them than with the rest of the world combined (exports and imports). I’m no trade expert but what are the odds of a seismic shift in where we export our goods to? Genuinely curious btw not trying to disagree

Hard to do... I mean... following the logic of the free market, if a drastic increase of trade with the US would be possible and would mean vastly more income, wouldn't it have happened?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #4040 on: July 13, 2018, 06:00:17 pm »
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️😂😂😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️😂😂️🅱️😂😂😂️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️😂😂😂🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️
🅱️😂😂😂🅱️😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️🅱️😂😂😂🅱️🅱️😂😂🅱️🅱️
🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️🅱️
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:58 pm »

Hard to do... I mean... following the logic of the free market, if a drastic increase of trade with the US would be possible and would mean vastly more income, wouldn't it have happened?
I think it will be very dependent on if we end up with tariff free trade with the EU

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: July 13, 2018, 06:22:36 pm »

We do not trade with the EU more than the rest of the world combined, and that hasn't been the case since 2008. Our EU exports, as a percentage of overall exports, peaked in 1990 and have been in a downward trend since:

Spoiler

[close]
This has occurred at the same time as several big waves of EU expansion, you can see that second peak for 2004 when Poland etc joined, so you would have expected an overall increase (though China opened up at the same time so that explains part, but not all, of the decrease).

Seismic shifts in British trade have occurred, particularly as a result of EU membership.
-In 1960 the UK's largest export markets in order of size were USA, Australia, Canada, Germany and South Africa. The Commonwealth accounted for around a third of our exports and imports.
-In 2011 it was Germany, USA, Netherlands, France and Switzerland. The Commonwealth accounted for only around 10% of UK imports and exports.

I think it will be very dependent on if we end up with tariff free trade with the EU

Tariffs are a minor issue in modern trade, although granted they've become a lot more significant under Trump. It's mostly about regulation and trade infrastructure these days. For instance Liberia may have tariff free trade with the EU as a result of 'Everything But Arms' but if they can't prove they conform to EU standards and SPS regulations, obtain export licenses and associated paperwork, ensure the non-contamination of supply chains and cut out food fraud, get the product to market in the first place (African roads and ports are notoriously terrible), afford port fees and shipping costs etc then the removal of a tariff doesn't really matter.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: July 15, 2018, 01:40:51 am »
Must have added my numbers up wrong.So do you think the USA will eventually become our largest trade partner?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: July 15, 2018, 03:26:10 am »
Must have added my numbers up wrong.So do you think the USA will eventually become our largest trade partner?

If you count the EU as individual countries rather than as one entity then it is already, but it's more accurate not to do that since the EU is a distinct economic area. I honestly have no idea but it could easily turn out that way, even had we voted 'Remain'. EU demographics are awful, especially in Germany which is by far our largest EU trade partner. By 2060 there will be roughly 10 million fewer Germans than in 2015-who's going to buy our stuff? Who's going to make the stuff that we buy from them?

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: July 15, 2018, 07:10:48 pm »

If you count the EU as individual countries rather than as one entity then it is already, but it's more accurate not to do that since the EU is a distinct economic area. I honestly have no idea but it could easily turn out that way, even had we voted 'Remain'. EU demographics are awful, especially in Germany which is by far our largest EU trade partner. By 2060 there will be roughly 10 million fewer Germans than in 2015-who's going to buy our stuff? Who's going to make the stuff that we buy from them?
Turks lol?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: July 22, 2018, 11:11:05 pm »
I do hope you aren't a frequent reader of the The Intercept  ;)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4048 on: July 23, 2018, 11:52:12 am »
It is not any less true though, more news outlets report on this.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: July 23, 2018, 03:23:43 pm »
I was just poking fun, I actually thought the linked article was quite well written and factual.

That said, there are some god-awful editors for this particular outlet. See this for example - one of many articles on the front page that are arguably more skewed than what is coming out of CNN. The comment section has been closed, of course.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:29:28 pm by Gordo »