Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 525393 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Dutch, German & French Elections Thread, or The General Political Thread
« Reply #375 on: March 16, 2017, 07:57:00 am »
Holy shit that guy looks like Trudeau

Was wondering when someone would say that.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #376 on: March 16, 2017, 08:53:59 am »
letting a bunch of poor people who have made bad life choices decide a leader.... democracy is gay
LuL

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #377 on: March 16, 2017, 10:57:41 am »
Well, since nobody's brave enough to make a prediction, I'll say the polls will be proven wrong and PVV will be the biggest party. Wilders has no chance of becoming PM of course.

Well, you seem to be wrong.

Pretty much lol. I think the MSM are going to massively exaggerate this and claim it as a great victory against populism etc.

Just checked Facebook and yup you called it

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 16, 2017, 11:03:15 am »
The PVV has lost, no matter their small increase in seats. Wilders ran a terrible campaign and it's no wonder he didn't convince 9 out of 10 voters. If not now, then how is he ever going to win?

Wouldn't be surprised if the FvD starts taking over most of their voters base in years to come, although that party has yet to prove itself so nothing is certain.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 16, 2017, 12:56:21 pm »
What a stunning victory for liberalism this election was. Oh wait...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 16, 2017, 03:14:17 pm »
Yeah, he went populist to gain some votes. His party is still a member of ALDE and parties calling for a NEXIT gained 21 seats in total. We're staying.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #381 on: March 16, 2017, 08:10:29 pm »
Yeah I mean considering the "perfect storm" for right wing voters with Trump, Brexit, immigrants, terrorist attacks and so on, Wilders should have done a lot better.

Then again, his party manifest includes things which are straight up unconstitutional and the line "No more money to development aid, windmills, art, innovation, broadcasting etc". He used etc in his manifesto. God damn.
Also love the way he just put "lower rent" with zero explanation of how he would artificially control the entire nation's housing market, nor how that would benefit the country.
What can I say, when a party's entire manifesto fits onto 1 A4 side (written in bullet points) you know they mean business.

Norwegian13

« Reply #382 on: March 16, 2017, 09:19:09 pm »
Wilders is way too radical in my opinion, FvD seems like an alright right-wing party, and a good alternative to PVV, although I don't really know their party programme all to well.

Congratulations to them on gaining two seats as a new party, that's quite impressive, seeing as they just formed in 2015.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:21:38 pm by Noorwegian »

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 17, 2017, 02:29:33 am »
https://www.ft.com/content/c10aa4f8-08a5-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

Merkel's getting busy in preparation for September.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 17, 2017, 10:03:02 am »
https://www.ft.com/content/c10aa4f8-08a5-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b

Merkel's getting busy in preparation for September.

Damn, showing off on here with your FT subscription when the rest of us can't read it  ;D

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 17, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »
For some reason the articles aren't blocked if you click from Google's news tab. I would never subscribe to FT garbage, kek  ;)

Quote from: FT
The German government has presented a draft law that would impose fines of up to €50m on social networks that fail to delete hate speech or fake news, in what amounts to the most draconian clampdown by a European country against internet platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. The law reflects mounting concern in German political circles about the potential influence fake news and hate speech could have on Germany’s federal election later this year, where Angela Merkel’s ruling conservatives are facing a strong challenge from the populist, anti-immigration Alternative for Germany (AfD).

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #386 on: March 17, 2017, 12:15:45 pm »
Wilders is way too radical in my opinion, FvD seems like an alright right-wing party, and a good alternative to PVV, although I don't really know their party programme all to well.

FvD is just as bad as Wilders, if not worse. They have a number of extremely radical standpoints which undermine our democracy. This is not that strange anymore, but since the entire motivation for this is a 'party-kartel' and some kind of 'new world order' conspiracy theory on which they base their entire program, they are dangerous. This may not be as obvious in their program, but I have been to one of their gatherings. It is scary how vocal Baudet is about the 'establishment conspiracy' and how they and 'the left' have ruined this entire country and they continue to ruin this country. Even though basically all his knowledge on legislation and politics he learned from his time in uni, which is hilariously ironic.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 17, 2017, 05:21:07 pm »
His messages the past two days are plain ridicious, pretending he can make a decisive difference other parties apparantly cannot possible achieve. His no.2, a lawyer, has already stated he won't be available for a while because of his current job and has said he wants to continue doing some work as a lawywer, which to me signals he just doesn't take the job serious. Small factions have a huge workload if they want to achieve anything. Pretending it's a part-time job is ridicious.

The memes are pretty good, though.

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 18, 2017, 06:50:23 am »
"Do not make three, but five children, because you are the future of Europe," Erdogan said Friday in Eskisehir in the West of Turkey."

Still laughing at Brexit? :)