Author Topic: The General Political Thread  (Read 527351 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #4215 on: August 22, 2018, 04:51:45 am »
I'm unfamiliar with what kind of changes they've made besides outlawing abortion please enlighten me.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #4216 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:38 am »
Well there it is boys. Cohen enters into a plea deal and says that he broke electoral finance law at the direction of the candidate in order to influence the election.  The president has just been implicated in a crime.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #4217 on: August 22, 2018, 10:32:34 am »
I'm unfamiliar with what kind of changes they've made besides outlawing abortion please enlighten me.
They introduced 500+ program.
It promised 500 zloty (about 140 euro) per month from the government per child, mind you that the average salary in this country is like 2000 zloty (about 450 euro), and most low wage jobs like in shops are around 1400 zloty (about 250 euro), meaning borning some kids is usually a higher wage than working full time job.

However when they actually started the program it was only for the 2nd child and up, and after tax reduction you get about 400 zloty, still a lot of money.
So it does push mostly poor families to born a lot of kids.

However what nobody is told is that the Polish government doesn't have this money to spend, they loan it. the national debt of Poland is fast-rising, and no tax increases they can come up with is able to stop it, for instance recently they raised the gasoline tax so high that you pay more for gas in Poland than in Germany, mind you in Germany the income is about 3 times that of Poland.

In the Netherlands we have a saying for this; You get a  cigar out of your own box.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:34:59 am by Vincenzo »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4218 on: August 22, 2018, 03:06:48 pm »
Poland's national debt will be even higher if it doesn't have a big enough workforce in the future to service it. If you're going to borrow money then you'll want to see a return bigger than the cost of interest on it. Polish babies will become adult workers and taxpayers, which is a fantastic investment and worth borrowing to pay for.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: August 22, 2018, 03:24:29 pm »
Poland's national debt will be even higher if it doesn't have a big enough workforce in the future to service it. If you're going to borrow money then you'll want to see a return bigger than the cost of interest on it. Polish babies will become adult workers and taxpayers, which is a fantastic investment and worth borrowing to pay for.
That is way too simple to actually happen in real life. Surely the recouping of the investment will be dependent on many other variables such as economic growth which influences the number of jobs available for a dramatically increased population (something which won't be helped by a weak economy), social programs such as higher education (which affects the suitability of the workforce to the jobs available in various industries) as well as the number of people from this new generation that will actually find work.

Since it's likely that this policy will lead to a sharp uptick in population growth, if the economy doesn't match it with the aforementioned factors, it's possible that you could end up with a large amount of unemployed which would then be a drain on welfare systems and end up costing the government even more.

I'm not saying that they can't do it since Poland is obviously one of the fastest growing economies in Europe.  I'm just pointing out the complexities rather than workers=money.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:45:01 pm by Toffee »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: August 22, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »
I was only really talking specifically about Poland. Given it's had a fertility rate of below 2.1 per woman for decades they're going to have to sprint simply to stand still. However generally speaking if you have a dynamic, Western-style economy with high individual purchasing power then population growth is a good thing. 

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: August 22, 2018, 05:30:05 pm »
I was only really talking specifically about Poland. Given it's had a fertility rate of below 2.1 per woman for decades they're going to have to sprint simply to stand still. However generally speaking if you have a dynamic, Western-style economy with high individual purchasing power then population growth is a good thing.
Obviously population growth can be good but I was talking about the idea of excessive growth to the point that economic growth can't keep up. But I see what you mean.

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: August 23, 2018, 02:41:49 pm »
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Queeeen

• Sergeant
  • Nr2_Queeen
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Quoooon
« Reply #4223 on: August 23, 2018, 05:38:15 pm »
Non binary cis gender manboy

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: August 24, 2018, 12:06:56 am »

#NewZimbabwe

Offline Lone

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: August 24, 2018, 03:13:20 pm »

Like a physicist trying to explain quantum physics to 5 year olds.
Tier Legendary Elite ++
97p Lone : By himself he's a very good duo. So he deserve a spot of his own.

Offline Ry@n

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 18th_Col
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nick:Nick:Nick:Nick:

Offline Svensson

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: August 24, 2018, 07:56:34 pm »
#NewZimbabwe
Rest in peace, Rhodesia.  :'(

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4228 on: August 24, 2018, 08:02:25 pm »
Just read that John McCain is discontinuing his brain cancer treatment.

https://www.facebook.com/6179724269/posts/10156152358034270/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 08:28:42 pm by Riddlez »
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: August 24, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »
Sad. I liked McCain. I'm somewhat surprised he doesn't just resign his seat though. He's not coming back and I assume he has better things to do with his remaining time.