Author Topic: La Belle Alliance - A Waterloo Mod [Looking for Coder]  (Read 85715 times)

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: La Belle Alliance - A Waterloo Mod (Updates Pg. 22)
« Reply #495 on: March 20, 2013, 03:34:03 pm »
There are some paintings made after thr battle, but before the butte was raised (I believe). I'll try and find those.

Sehr gut! Gime zhat pictures
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #496 on: March 20, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »
Just make it easy...

Download google earth terrain data with sketchup.

Export the mesh and convert it to a heightmap, for example, use blender:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Tutorials/Textures/Maps/Creating_a_Heightmap_from_a_Plane

Use the tool here to convert the heightmap to a terrain in warband:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,221975.0.html

Make sure to check the actual size of your terrain and the heightmap first. Do not make it to small, or it wont be historically accurate anymore.
Once you imported it, make sure to remove the lion hill and to make the british hill slightly higher.

It probably is not the most historically accurate thing you could do, but it certainly is more accurate than anything you did, or anyone else did before. It probably cant get even more accurate.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 20, 2013, 11:16:47 pm »
I'll update those photo's tomorrow, but Olaf, I don't think Google Earth is quite the thing for the battle of Waterloo. I mean, it's simply NOTHING like it was back then, groundwise.

But then, I suppose it gives us a basis... Why am I even talking? I'm not even making maps...  :o
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:24:30 pm by Duuring »

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #498 on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:13 am »
The ground has been completely changed. The hills are gone. There is a statue there that was built by the grounds of the hill. Wellington said " what have you done?!? You ruined the battlefield!!!!" Once they built the statue/monument
The first modder for NW.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #499 on: March 21, 2013, 04:28:21 am »
The ground has been completely changed. The hills are gone. There is a statue there that was built by the grounds of the hill. Wellington said " what have you done?!? You ruined the battlefield!!!!" Once they built the statue/monument

A lot like putting the monument on Mamayev Kurgan in Stalingrad. Although the hill was pretty much covered in trenches and littered with bodies. They're still digging up bodies.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 21, 2013, 08:14:20 am »

Wellington ruined the Waterloo panorama, so we're even.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #501 on: March 21, 2013, 10:43:28 am »
Well, compared to other european battlefield, Waterloo is amazingly well preserved. Besides the huge lion hill, nothing has changed significantly. Ofc it is not 100% accurate but it is more accurate than what you could ever do by hand. Besides that you atleast get the scale right.

I would suggest using it, deleting the lion hill and making wellingtons hill slightly higher. Add the sand pit, change some roads and small hills here and there and youre done, you got a perfect waterloo map.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 21, 2013, 10:55:20 am »

It's about to be uneven, as the Belgian government has just recently approved the demolition of the farm buildings at Quatre-Bras. Those buildings saw some of the heaviest fighting during the battle, so if you want to see them you better do it soon, as they're about to be erased from history and replaced with an office building.

Makes you wonder how long it'll be before they're tearing down the buildings at Hougoumont and La Haye Sainte.

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #503 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:59 am »

It's about to be uneven, as the Belgian government has just recently approved the demolition of the farm buildings at Quatre-Bras. Those buildings saw some of the heaviest fighting during the battle, so if you want to see them you better do it soon, as they're about to be erased from history and replaced with an office building.

Makes you wonder how long it'll be before they're tearing down the buildings at Hougoumont and La Haye Sainte.
Bastards!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 21, 2013, 11:04:39 am »
Belgium government =\= Netherlands 1815 government.

While it's a sheer crime they are being demolished, maybe, just maybe, the peope trying to preserve the building now should have taken better care of it. It's a complete ruine, and you can't even enter them. Though I wonder why they HAVE to built an office there. It's not like Quatre-bras has a shortage of building ground.

Techniccly they can't take away Hougomont nor La haye Sainte, as the entire Waterloo battlefield is protected ground. Not that that means anything here. The church in my hometown has recently given monument-status... And only days later it was decleared it was going to be demolished.

The mayor gave this awesome quote: "Just because it's a protected monument, doesn't mean we can't bring it down.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:08:07 am by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 21, 2013, 11:13:18 am »
mayby we could form a line and shoot them as they try to demolish it...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2013, 11:25:13 am »
My point is; Even if the farms aren't destroyed now, people will stop caring after the plans are gone and the buildings will continue rotting.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2013, 12:49:40 pm »
I assume you're removing rockets because the varied accounts show that they did nothing?

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
« Reply #508 on: March 21, 2013, 01:11:11 pm »
Will you also do different minor things, like cannon colours ?
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #509 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:46 pm »
We have plans for minor changes such as Drum Majors, Corporals (maybe), and other various things. Cannon colours will probably not be a feature in the mod but there might be some interesting tweaks to artillery. Sorry for the inactivity, I've been trying to catch up with a lot of school work but I'm not going anywhere and this mod will not die.