Author Topic: Favourite All Time Leader(s)  (Read 101628 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Favourite All Time Leader(s)
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2013, 10:23:40 pm »
Lasalle

Spoiler
[close]

Best cavarlyman ever to have lived on this planet.

Offline Rallix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 00th_Merc_Rallix
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2013, 11:49:58 pm »
Orlok Subutai, Mongol Empire.
Subutai (Mongolian: Сүбээдэй, Sübeedei; Classic Mongolian: Sübügätäi or Sübü'ätäi; Tsubodai 1175–1248) was the primary military strategist and general of Genghis Khan and Ögedei Khan. He directed more than twenty campaigns in which he conquered thirty-two nations and won sixty-five pitched battles, during which he conquered or overran more territory than any other commander in history.

He gained victory by means of imaginative and sophisticated strategies and routinely coordinated movements of armies that were hundreds of kilometers away from each other. He is also remembered for devising the campaign that destroyed the armies of Hungary and Poland within two days of each other, by forces over five hundred kilometers apart.
Indeed.

Offline 0xC000009D

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2013, 12:49:07 am »
Hannibal, by far my favorite list of the leading companies in the world. Romans sent home in tears his unwavering courage and passion, so many times that it is worth between where the major planets. Capacity and skills, and met the enemy face to protect his people and the country from the impressive Roman imperialism, and not a leader, he was able to get even close. Innovative use of elephants to show their knowledge, in particular, because he is self-taught, even more. She specializes in tactical and tactical operations of the cavalry.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2013, 04:23:32 am »
I've avoided this thread for far too long as it's really hard for me to pick just a couple... and it seems like they've all been said already!

Hmmm, lemme think... always thought Murat was pretty interesting guy, although admittedly not the most skilled of the Marshals, and a bit of a scumbag. :P

Also, no mention of Philip II of Macedon or Pyrrhus of Epirus? They were certainly effective commanders, albeit overshadowed by their son and (second) cousin respectively.

Nice to see Tsubodai getting some rep here, he's often overlooked. Genghis hardly did it all on his own (although the whole unification of the tribes was his doing).

Baibars: commander of the Mamluks, helped crush the Seventh Crusade, decisively defeated the mongols at Ain Jalut, and (likely) took part in the assassination of the previous sultan of Egypt before taking the throne himself. The first Mamluk sultan then went on to seriously mess up what was left of the crusader states. He was also an effective administrator and highly popular in the Muslim World.

Belisarius: the Byzantine general responsible for the Byzantine reconquest of much of the western Mediterranean under Justinian (despite a marked lack of support from the Emperor). Notably defeating the Vandal Kingdom in North Africa and the Ostrogothic Kingdom in Italy. Belisarius' conquests in orange below:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 05:37:26 am by Rogov »

Offline Diplex

• Vital Supporter
  • Colonel Edward B. Fowler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2013, 10:51:13 pm »
Adolf Hitler.
Eh? His own generals resented his control over the army. As they put it, he was a corporal leading an army, and he was a major reason Germany lost WWII. His direct control over the eastern front destroyed any chance the Germans had of winning. Although he got Germany on its feet after the post-WWI depression (no small feat), he was a cruddy military leader. Also, he was a mass-murderer. As far as evil goes, he fits the bill pretty well.

Personally, one of my favorite leaders is Jan Zizka. I also like Suvorov, but I feel Zizka is under-appreciated. Zizka pioneered mobile defensive warfare, using new technology (handgonnes and artillery) and new tactics (war wagons) to great effect. He lost both of his eyes, and led his forces blind while never losing a single battle (alongside Alexander the Great, Scipio Africanus, Genghis Khan, Alexander Suvorov, and Khalid ibn al-Walid). A typical example of a battle he fought would be Kunta Hora. It is typical because Zizka's peasantry is outnumbered 10-1, they are fighting the creme of the Hapsburg army (knights), and they win, inflicting heavy casualties.

"Leadership has been defined many ways but for the basis of this argument I find this one most all encompassing, leadership is "process of social influence in which one person can enlist the aid and support of others in the accomplishment of a common task." (1). If we use this definition we see where Hitler obviously excels in this category, he is one of the greatest orators of his day, and had the German people eating out of his hand.

You may be thinking that many men other then Hitler had this ability of influence but we see in Hitler the ability to inspire his people to switch from one distinct political ideology to another without bloodshed. He also brought Germany out of the deep depression they were suffering from in post world war 1 Europe. If we consider only that leadership is the ability of one person to influence others to support a common cause we see no equal to Hitler, no other person in history influenced as many people willingly into supporting one common cause without bloodshed.

Having given reasons why Hitler is one of the greatest leaders in history, i ask con to either disprove Hitler was a good leader or suggest a more influential individual in history."

Offline Warder

• First Lieutenant
  • 17e_SoD_EdmondDantes
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2013, 11:56:17 am »
Gen. Robert Lee IMO was a great leader and man, he fought against bigger armies and mostly won battles. Even Gettysburg was in my opinion a draw as a battle, of course CSA missed a chance of finishing the war, Lee after one day waiting for Union attack just retreated.

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:22 am »
Karl XII of Sweden, Otto von Bismarck and Adolf Hitler.
All these have proven themself.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2013, 02:36:06 am »
John F. Reynolds.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline TWking

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2013, 08:05:08 pm »
Lannes
The french marshal who's legs where amputated after they got hit by a cannon while he was meditation

Spoiler

[close]

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2013, 01:16:26 pm »
Adolf Hitler.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2013, 03:38:40 pm »
Lasalle

Spoiler
[close]

Best cavarlyman ever to have lived on this planet.

What about Murat? I always thought Murat had a better sense of fashion.

I still think LaSalle is the epitome of a Hussar, charging with a long pipe!

told that bih don't @ me

Offline GoblinOverlord

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GoblinOverlord
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2013, 06:14:57 pm »
Josip Broz Tito, because he united the Yugoslavians and, though defeated many times, eventually managed to defeat a superpower and free themselves, thereby preventing being annexed by the Soviets and later on, preventing Yugoslavia from becoming part of the Eastern Block.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:12 pm »
Gandhi.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
Gandhi.

Gandhi was a racist nationalist. He is wrongfully painted as a saint.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »
Gandhi.

Gandhi was a racist nationalist.

Very true, but he did achieve a lot with non-violence, protests and uniting people with different convictions towards a common goal although he failed in the end when hetried to stop the fighting within India.

I just wanted to spice things up a bit from just Military leaders.

“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna