Author Topic: Favourite All Time Leader(s)  (Read 101635 times)

AeroNinja

Re: Favourite All Time Leader(s)
« Reply #315 on: November 16, 2013, 04:43:52 pm »
Shimazu Yoshihiro no doubt...

Offline Fyzzaraya

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Lion
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sagamichi the Immortal
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #316 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:54 pm »
Shimazu Yoshihiro no doubt...

Hmm,in this case I could say Takeda Shingen,Uesugi Kenshin,Oda Nobunaga,Toyotomi Hideyoshi,Ieyasu etc. A lot of the Sengoku era warlords were skilled leaders but maybe the country being in constant war forced such skills to awaken on some people and gave the chance to others to rise(ex:Hideyoshi).

Offline Alan Watt

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_LCpl_Alan Watt
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #317 on: January 09, 2014, 05:13:55 pm »
Charles XII,

He got into a war he did not start against multiple enemies, gave a black eye to most of em and is only military leader ever to be have Russia on its knees. Had he marched onward after Battle of Narva there was nothing between his army and Tsar's palace in Moscow.

Well Hitler was too quite close.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies" - Charles XII King of Sweden

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:57 pm »
Napoleon occupied the Tsar's palace in Moskou for weeks. He still lost.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #319 on: January 09, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »
He received only burnt down city and undisciplined army in Moscow :P

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 09, 2014, 05:27:38 pm »
When Napoleon entered Moskou, the Russian military was in full panic. They had no idea what to do and just did nothing. The Tsar, as ever, couldn't make a decision, and therefor neither accepted nor really turned down Napoleons requests for peace. The ball was in his court and he did nothing. In Sint-Petersburg, rumors that the war was lost and over were spreading like wildfire, which led to the arrest of several civilians.

Moskou was far from burned to the ground and the French army was not that much more undisciplined then it usually was. The men were tired as shit though, and they had always thought that entering Moskou would mean an end to the campaign.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #321 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:49 pm »
When Napoleon entered Moskou, the Russian military was in full panic. They had no idea what to do and just did nothing. The Tsar, as ever, couldn't make a decision, and therefor neither accepted nor really turned down Napoleons requests for peace. The ball was in his court and he did nothing. In Sint-Petersburg, rumors that the war was lost and over were spreading like wildfire, which led to the arrest of several civilians.

Moskou was far from burned to the ground and the French army was not that much more undisciplined then it usually was. The men were tired as shit though, and they had always thought that entering Moskou would mean an end to the campaign.

The map of what was destroyed by fire in Moscow.
Russian wasnt in panic, only in despair, because they lost Moscow. Army didnt lose control, it retreated to the South-East to replenish loses and receive the winter equipment. French army was exhausted and fire in Moscow highly damaged the discipline, they lost control and started massive looting and killings of civilians, also deserting from army increased. Also Napoleon couldnt use the Moscow as winter quarter and wanted to retreat to Smolensk, but using the Kaluga road instead of old Smolensk road (which was looted), but after Maloyaroslavec he was forced to use the second road.

Offline Alan Watt

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 09, 2014, 06:03:51 pm »
He received only burnt down city and undisciplined army in Moscow :P

Difference was that Russia had lost it entire army in Narva thus they had no army to retreat with and burn Moscow down while with Napoleon it was all along to plan get him as deep as possible in Russia and let the winter do its job. Even still the final battle between army of Russia and Napoleon ended in draw but Napoleon had to start leave Russia due to supplies were low and thats when Russian army started to hunt French troops while they moved in march formation.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies" - Charles XII King of Sweden

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 09, 2014, 06:28:52 pm »
The Russian released their propaganda system after the campaign and acted like it was all meant. It wasn't. Moskou wasn't given up because of some master trick, but simply because the Russian army couldn't stop Napoleon. I don't trust that map, because it's Russian and shows a caricature of Napoleon, which is not something done in official military or government maps. This is a souvenir.

Every city under the French was looted. In fact, nearly every city was looted by every nation. It was (a sad) standard procedure.

thus they had no army to retreat with and burn Moscow down while with Napoleon it was all along to plan get him as deep as possible in Russia and let the winter do its job

That is pure bullshit. The Russians tried to stop the French multiple times, most famously at Borodino. The Russian army kept retreating because they (quite rightfully) assumed the French army was too powerful. The fact that winter arrived was a disaster for not just the French, but for the Russians who suffered just as much.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:31:21 pm by Duuring »

Offline CharlesVasser

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 09, 2014, 09:05:51 pm »
Charles XII,

He got into a war he did not start against multiple enemies, gave a black eye to most of em and is only military leader ever to be have Russia on its knees. Had he marched onward after Battle of Narva there was nothing between his army and Tsar's palace in Moscow.

Except Poltava and poland where we lost our army.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #325 on: January 09, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
Charles XII,

Actually the Poles kicked the Russian's arses and captured Moscow in 1610. Not counting Napoleon of course.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2014, 09:29:49 pm »
Duuring summed up everything I have to say about the Russian winter campaign. Everybody thinks Russia was so smart and brave and tough and Napoleon was such a fool for attacking Russia in the winter but in reality he pretty much booted the Russian army in the arse and sent them packing while he pissed all over Moscow like "fuck you guys I've got your Tsar's palace and shit"

Offline Palfer

• Sergeant Major
  • Fais ce que dois advienne que pourra
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Palfer
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2014, 03:22:16 pm »
King George V., Elizabeth II., the entire current Royal Family, Maggy Thatcher, Churchill, Cameron, John Moore, Wellington, Mussolini, JFK, Martin Luther King Jr., Henry VIII (and Tudors) and William V.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2014, 03:38:41 pm »
William V.

Wait, the Prince of Orange one? You must be kidding  :P

Offline Alan Watt

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:58 pm »
Charles XII,

Except Poltava and poland where we lost our army.

Yes but those were later and one time chance had gone already. In Poltava Charles met Russian's new army that was better trained and armed than back in Narva. So in short Charles did same mistake as Hannibal in with Rome.