Author Topic: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2  (Read 50472 times)

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Developer Blog 28 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.2
« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2018, 10:37:55 pm »
In my opinion it's not the best for things like linebattles, since if RNG decides you fall off your horse you're unlikely to get it back, and since there's no reliable way to furnish a new horse even if you don't die you're less than useful to the team afterwards.

The feature itself is neat.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:43 am »
Hey guys.

I'm back from my holiday in Thailand so I have time to fix all the issues you guys are having.

After some research on my part, I know why melee can feel different compared to last patch, Taleworlds changed some things how melee input is handled by the server to fix a often reported bug.

The bug in question was that sometimes on your screen you are blocking for instance up or down, whilst on the server and other people's screens you are blocking in another direction, for instance to the side.
To fix this bug, Taleworlds changed the timings a bit so the server allows the client a bit more time to change his direction.

As a result things might seem a bit more delayed if you have a very low ping, if you have a higher or fluctuating ping, things will be much smoother for you. in any case, things don't react the same as before the patch, and so on.

So the solution is simple. your free to leave your opinions on it.

Should we revert this change, bringing back the sideblock bug, or should we keep things as they are now?

I think in general you guys probably already just got used to it, but your free to say your opinion.
Discuss what you want about it here and vote on it.

We might not do what the poll gives as a result, and make our own decision, but it can give some kind of indication.

The poll is here:
https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=38084.0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:51:18 am by Vincenzo »

Offline extremereg101

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2018, 04:08:21 am »
A common glitch or oversight used by cavalry players is the rearing their horse through the Ctrl + J hotkey. The result is an instantaneous stoppage of their horse in 0.0 seconds, no matter how fast the horse is moving. This is often used by players to instantly stop while moving to surprise their opponent and attack them, and is also often used by dragoons to stop and reload quickly. Not only does this defy the laws of physics and would be plainly impossible, but it would also launch the rider several meters into the air and possibly kill him or send him unconscious due to g-forces. The result is people bypassing the necessity to decelerate and instead going from 40mph to 0mph in zero seconds. The Ctrl + J hotkey was probably only thought of by the developers as an easter-egg type feature to be used for show, but they made the unfortunate oversight of not disabling its use while moving.

The simple solution is to disable Ctrl+J-ing while moving.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2018, 06:40:31 pm »
control J isn't being removed.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline extremereg101

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2018, 10:48:56 pm »
yeah that's not what i suggested

grow up
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:11:00 pm by Thunderstormer »

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:42 pm »
it is more or less what you wanted.  You only wanted it to be used when you are sitting still.  we aren't changing it.   

grow up and get over it. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline Dealen

• First Lieutenant
  • Summer Is comming.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Nick: 81st_Col_Dealen
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2018, 12:32:43 am »
This is great

Offline Lilja Mariasdóttir

• Colonel
  • Ist ein Schaf in einer Tasse
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2018, 12:57:02 pm »

grow up
I agree with extremereg101, that Thunderstormer should grow up.
He has a valid point and explained it well.
I am fine with the mechanic how it is (nothing more beautiful than a prepared stop with dragoons in formation close to the enemy), and I see that you are not able to change it, but it doesnt change, that extremereg101 expressed a valid opinion.

I guess the main issue are people using small cheats to surpass the "complicated" key combination to do the sudden stop, to gain advantages in close combat, but that is nothing that could be changed anyway.
Seehofer schafft das Heer ab.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2018, 02:47:15 pm »

grow up
I agree with extremereg101, that Thunderstormer should grow up.
He has a valid point and explained it well.
I am fine with the mechanic how it is (nothing more beautiful than a prepared stop with dragoons in formation close to the enemy), and I see that you are not able to change it, but it doesnt change, that extremereg101 expressed a valid opinion.

I guess the main issue are people using small cheats to surpass the "complicated" key combination to do the sudden stop, to gain advantages in close combat, but that is nothing that could be changed anyway.
thanks for the laugh.  he can insult me(which was snipped) and make a troll post else where. 

control J isn't being touched.  simple as that.  he made his point, i understood his points, it isn't being removed or effectively removed by making it useless.(which is basically what he wanted)  the decision was made at one of our meetings to leave it as is.    If he doesn't agree with it, that is fine. I have no problem with that.   That doesn't excuse insulting me or making a 2nd pointless troll post which was removed.(the 2nd post is what got them warned)  is that behavior you support?

i know what people can do with control J.  i have seen people try to use it just to back fire in their face.  compared to the other devs, i did play a lot and still do play this game.  My main focus when playing over the years was, as you guessed it, cav.  I can say I wasn't too bad at cav either.  Anybody that has been around the NA cav scene for the last 4-5 years will know who i am and the impact i had in shaping it.  I'm not some noob who didn't understand what he was getting at. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 03:31:47 pm by Thunderstormer »

Offline extremereg101

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2018, 06:02:00 pm »
I was merely being considerate, as clearly the new patch was insistent on removing everything fun/unrealistic/unintended from the game (sapper stacking, cheering, eye-stabbing, voice spamming, etc) and going by that philosophy Ctrl+Jing while moving should also be removed. I see we like to be picky on what does and does not get fixed. Oh well, no need to explain yourself, I see that's bit much for you.

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2018, 10:37:48 pm »
Any reason why tiered admin powers/levels wasn't included in the update?
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2018, 10:47:45 pm »
Your free to commit it to svn if you made it.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 23, 2018, 12:50:01 am »
if you are referring to admins being able to ban admins, then that will be in the hotfix.   you will have to go into the file and enable the code, and put your IDs in.   if you are referring to what i did with LB admins on NA1, then that will have to be something your do on your own.  its not too complicated to do.

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2018, 01:00:01 am »
if you are referring to admins being able to ban admins, then that will be in the hotfix.   you will have to go into the file and enable the code, and put your IDs in.   if you are referring to what i did with LB admins on NA1, then that will have to be something your do on your own.  its not too complicated to do.
i know it's not that hard, I did it once already lel. I was just wondering why you did just include it with the whitelist? They're not that different tbh
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2018, 02:11:23 am »
i know it's not that hard, I did it once already lel. I was just wondering why you did just include it with the whitelist? They're not that different tbh
I think you mean didn't so i will post with that in mind. 

there were some things that i made before the last patch was a thing, and i decided to bring them over into the patch.  Revive, spawn and god mode are the main 3.  Things like medics were something i wanted added, but my old system for that was meh.(probably OP tbf)  especially when you can do it a lot better with a full patch, and not a server side only thing.   Vince worked on that stuff though. 

there were a bunch of other minor stuff that most people had on their servers.  aka welcome messages and logging teamwounding and teamkilling.  those 2 changed numerous times as what we wanted out of them changed.(multiple people worked on them at one time or another)  i added round and map changes to the logs.   plus all the other random fixes i made like healing a player heals their horse or refilling ammo gives them ammo if they have none.       some of the stuff i didn't bring over because i didn't feel it was worth it, or i just forgot.  most of the code i brought over from the old patch had to be redone by me, because when i originally made it years ago, i really sucked at coding and wasn't that well done.(my old revive code was just awful. complete garbage even tho it worked)    i still have plenty to learn, but i think the code i did for the current patch runs better, looks better, and makes the game better compared to my old code.  i did a lot of other stuff, but the above are the main stuff i wanted in and put in. 

anyways, back to the stuff at hand.  it is probably possible to try and tie in the whitelist with the ability for admins to ban admins or to find other ways to tier the admins.  it wouldn't be something that can be done quickly and would require a bunch of changes to the existing admin stuff.  i believe the hotfix is done or very close to be, so i don't think it would be worth redoing it at this point.(plus what defines each tier would be debatable)  my code for banning admins is good enough for now.  most servers will be modifying their files so going up and enabling and changing the IDs would be quick and easy.

something i did add that anyone that has played on NA1 over the years knows about is the automatic friendly fire toggle.   You can leave it off, and FF will stay whatever the server has it set to like usual.  or you can change the time you want it to automatically turn on.  So lets say after 30 seconds in the round, FF will turn on and when the round ends, it will turn off.   When the round ends, map is reset, or the time is under said timer(say 30 seconds) FF will turn off until the time has passed.   This cut down the work load for NA1 admins by like 90%.  Alt tab teamkills were a thing of the past.  Not being able to mass teamkill/wound at the start of the round.  and at the end of the round, no more having to deal with people teamkilling.  some servers may not care about teamkilling at rounds end, and that is fine.  NA1 doesn't allow it.  If you really want people to teamkill at rounds end, you can modify the MT or find other ways to get around it. 

This is also nice at events.  Prevents people from teamkilling or teamwounding.  Tired of admins reseting or you having to revive/heal because someone decided it would be fun to attack someone else in spawn?   Well, this should stop that stuff too. 

GF servers would be able to make use of it as well.