Author Topic: From novels to films.  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
  • Fidelitate et Honore | Fake Hype King
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Tardet
  • Side: Neutral
From novels to films.
« on: December 06, 2018, 11:49:29 am »
I don't think such a thread exists but if it does, just lock this one.

This is mostly a place to discuss novels/books you'd like to see adapted to a series or a movie but if you wish to discuss existing series or a movie taken from a book you like, I don't see an issue with it.

With the upcoming Witcher series (not sure wherever or not it will follow the story from the books or invent a new one), I realized this was pretty much a dream coming true as the books are probably my all-time favourites when it comes to the fantasy genre.

However, I recently found myself enjoying reading a series of books I got when I was way younger, from David Gemmell. I was rather surprised to see that something I read at the age of 15-16 still managed to give me the same feelings at 22. For instance, at the same age, I enjoyed reading the novels part of the Inheritance cycle from Christopher Paolini, following Eragon's story. But that's something I wouldn't go back to. Gemmell's Drenai tales are for me the second best fantasy saga I've got the chances to put my hands, by far.

A part of me regrets that it was never adapted to a movie or a series however the universe he created is so amazing that if it ends-up because something mediocre, I suppose its better that it remains books only.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:46:16 pm by Tardet »
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: From novels to films.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:25:06 pm »
With the upcoming Witcher series (not sure wherever or not it will follow the story from the books or invent a new one), I released this was pretty much a dream coming true as the books are probably my all-time favorites when it comes to fantasy genre.

I'm looking forward to that too, especially Henry Cavill as Geralt (a lot of BS got said about his screen test by people who don't understand what a screen test is. I think he'll be great). Obviously they've made some strange SJW casting choices but that's to be expected given it's Netflix. They literally can't stop themselves from casting an ethnic minority in a major role even though the books are based on Slavic history and mythology lol. Kind of a shame they didn't cast more Eastern/Central Europeans.

I think the Empire trilogy or the Dune saga would be great books for a modern TV/film adaptation. I think Dune is getting a new film made by the same guy who did Blade Runner 2049.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 02:45:18 pm »
Not much to add about the casting choice. I am looking forward to Henry Cavill as Geralt too. He looks like the Geralt from the books, at least like the image I pictured in my head. But Anna Shaffer as Triss? Yeah, thanks, no. As you said, that's the world in which we live in and that's gonna be getting even worse.

I've read part of the Dune saga when I was younger but can't remember much of it.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:39:58 pm »
Considering the track record of going from game into film isn't that great I remain sceptical.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 03:55:50 pm »
Considering the track record of going from game into film isn't that great I remain sceptical.

It's not going from game to film, it's going from book to TV show.

Offline Tardet

• The NW Historian
  • General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 03:56:23 pm »

If you are speaking about The Witcher, it will be based on the books, not on the game. Doesn't mean the track record is much better but just clarifying.

Edit: Steven was faster than me.

Offline stevve

• Captain
  • yeeeeeet
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 06:34:10 pm »
I would say Metro 2033/34/35 or the entire "Metro Universe". In my opinion, Dmitri Glukhovsky has created a masterpiece which can be extended by dozens of books, in addition to the 25 already existing ones. In any case - I have read most of the books, and they have become my favorites over time ... and what could possibly go wrong with a film (-series) that combines an apocalypse, politics, war and horror? theoretically everything  ::)