Author Topic: Crashing on alt-tab  (Read 14344 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GroupFighting Stuff
  • Side: Neutral
Crashing on alt-tab
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:54:43 am »
Ever since i idiotically upgraded my computer to Windows 8.1, whenever i try to alt-tab or even alt-enter out of Mount and Blade Warband my game crashes.

It comes up with a message saying "Could not reset the direct 3D device. The application will now exit."

I have many things to fix it. All my graphics cards are up to date and my computer has more then enough power to handle NW.

Any ideas on how to fix this annoying problem?

##Edit##
Solution:
I have discovered a way to fix this finally and may also help other people that may have other crashing issues.

First, open the game. In the configuration tick the box that says 'start windowed' so it will open in windowed mode.

When the game is running, click on the file drop down menu at the top left of the window and select 'change device'.
Then when the small dialogue box opens, under rendering mode, tick the box next to fullscreen mode and change 'D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8' to 'D3DFMT_R5G6B5'.

You can then change it back to fullscreen mode when the game opens and it should fix the alt-tab issue i was having. It worked for me! :P
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:49:09 am by Wolfgang »
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." ~Albert Einstein ~

Offline Icarus

• Major
  • Groupfighting Admin, Tyrant of the old 1stKGL
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ex 91st_LCpl_Matthew_Young
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Crashing on alt-tab
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 02:48:10 am »
try playing your game windowed, it happens to me when i used to alt + tab

Offline Jay_One

• Donator
  • 84e Retired Prison Guard
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jay_One
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:56:44 am »
You could try switching to windowed mode by pressing alt-enter before you alt-tab.

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_MrSt3fan
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »
The alt+tab error is because of the engine NW runs on. The NW isn't compatible with alt-tabbing, use alt+enter instead, alt+enter makes your game go into windowed mode. You can safely alt-tab in windowed mode without crashing

Offline Wolfgang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GroupFighting Stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 02:20:14 am »
As i said in the OP, going into windowed mode also makes it crash :/
"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." ~Albert Einstein ~

Offline Sleek

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 04:47:05 am »
What I did was when you double click the Mount & Blade.exe icon, the launcher appears. Click "Configure", then click on the tab called "Advanced". Check the box with the text saying "Force Single Threading". Ever since I checked that, my M&B hasn't crashed. Hope this helps.
Quote from: Theodin
Sleek somehow only attacks when he’s successfully pulled a dude away and his team is coming to help - as in, the most reasonable time to continue blocking

Sleek plays like he's underwater - slow

Offline Jay_One

• Donator
  • 84e Retired Prison Guard
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jay_One
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 11:17:27 am »
As i said in the OP, going into windowed mode also makes it crash :/

Whoops, guess I just don't read stuff :D

Offline Wolfgang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GroupFighting Stuff
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 12:20:55 pm »
What I did was when you double click the Mount & Blade.exe icon, the launcher appears. Click "Configure", then click on the tab called "Advanced". Check the box with the text saying "Force Single Threading". Ever since I checked that, my M&B hasn't crashed. Hope this helps.

Nope, unfortunately that doesn't seem to work either. Thank you all for the help though!

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:53:29 am »
Did you try to run M&B in compatibility mode for Windows 7? It worked for me as I had the same problems with Windows 8.

Offline Wolfgang

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
    • GroupFighting Stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 03:48:08 am »
I have discovered a way to fix this finally and may also help other people that may have other crashing issues.

First, open the game. In the configuration tick the box that says 'start windowed' so it will open in windowed mode.

When the game is running, click on the file drop down menu at the top left of the window and select 'change device'.
Then when the small dialogue box opens, under rendering mode, tick the box next to fullscreen mode and change 'D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8' to 'D3DFMT_R5G6B5'.

You can then change it back to fullscreen mode when the game opens and it should fix the alt-tab issue i was having. It worked for me! : :D

Offline -~Carson~-

• Corporal
  • thatguy1234
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »
Try alt-esc this will take you right to your desktop. Hope this helps :D

Offline SirPwoob

• Sergeant
  • So hardy rn?
    • View Profile