Author Topic: The Star Wars Thread  (Read 107875 times)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Star Wars Thread
« Reply #540 on: December 18, 2017, 03:53:04 pm »
Episode VIII was a bit better than The Force Awakens but still wasn't great, plus they've got to stop copying stuff from the original trilogy. Rogue One is still the only good Disney Star Wars film imo.
Agreed. Most scenes felt like remakes of scenes in either the original trilogy or the prequels. A little bit here and there can be a clever tribute, but it just felt like plagiarism. Still better than Ep 7 though.
Got better hopes for the Han Solo film though, that should be good.

Offline Dazzer

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #541 on: December 18, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »
and they wont milk it any further

Or did you mean you hope they're gonna end the sequel story arc at 9?
Yep thats what I meant. I dont mind films like Rogue One because it only expands the previous episodes instead of making new ones.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #542 on: December 18, 2017, 06:45:47 pm »
I see you all liked Rogue One as well. What's worrying about that is that up to 50% of that movie was reshot. Apparently it was supposed to be a Star Wars Vietnam sort of movie, but Disney said no and decided to redo a lot of it. The Han Solo movie also had it's director cut for being too out of the box. I like Disney but they really don't want to make a 'risky' star wars movie and instead just want to be generic.

Ep. 8 Complaits (Spoilers)
I really liked the movie in the same way that I like any movie the first time I watch it in theaters. My viewing was crammed and everyone was very vocal and funny and clapping so it was a nice experience. However, after we left I started to think on a few things:
  • Why was Snoke built up just to be killed like a bitch
  • Why was Luke Skywalker - the greatest jedi ever to live according to George Lucas - killed off after having done almost nothing in the new trilogy
  • So Force Ghost Yoda can show up but not force ghost Anakin in the form of Hayden Christensen? That would be the greatest fan service ever done
  • Crait felt just like the Hoth battle
  • I like comedy, don't get me wrong, but it feels so forced and extra that it takes away from what Star Wars is
  • Still have almost no exposition on the resistance or first order.
  • Phasma - supposedly a great female antagonist  - does almost nothing and dies a bitch
  • Diversity is extremely forced. I'm usually not a sucker for this but there must have been an active attempt to try and cast as few white guys as possible (sorry not sorry)
  • Poe Damaron is the male equivalent of a Mary Sue except he flies an X-Wing
  • Rey apparently has no parents, which makes no sense because this is a Skywalker trilogy and now just some random Joe-Blow is the lead protagonist
  • Still can't get over how Luke Skywalker, king of the Jedi, would cut himself off from the force.
  • Apparently just lightspeeding/kamikazy'ing your ship can take out anything, so why didn't the rebellion just do that to the death star
[close]
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #543 on: December 18, 2017, 07:15:54 pm »
I'm calling it now, the Han Solo film will be terrible. Rogue One was probably a one-off.

I don't understand how a lot of reviewers are giving Star Wars Disney lots of good feedback, are they being leaned on/bribed or whatever? Can't *just* be me since everyone I've talked to irl and on here have said they didn't really rate Episodes VII/VIII. Oh, and just as I was writing this I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and there's a massive split between reviewer and audience scores: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

93% vs 56%. Wow.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 18, 2017, 07:34:33 pm »
I'm calling it now, the Han Solo film will be terrible. Rogue One was probably a one-off.

I don't understand how a lot of reviewers are giving Star Wars Disney lots of good feedback, are they being leaned on/bribed or whatever? Can't *just* be me since everyone I've talked to irl and on here have said they didn't really rate Episodes VII/VIII. Oh, and just as I was writing this I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes and there's a massive split between reviewer and audience scores: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

93% vs 56%. Wow.
Rotten Tomatoes confuses me so much. Justice League, which I thought was actually pretty good, has a terrible rotten score but a great audience score. Episode 8 has a great critical score, yet a terrible audience score.

I really just don't trust critical reviews anymore because like you said, they seem really fishy.
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
[close]

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 23, 2017, 02:37:32 pm »
I wont post any spoiler related stuff until at least next week. But honestly i am not very happy with the direction they took this film and the skywalker saga for several reasons which i cant say due to spoilers... :-\

This was the most amusing part of TLJ for me. The not-so-subtle complete transformation of Luke being naively optimistic to overwhelming pessimistic, almost to the point of clinical depression.

Man, it's scary what a new trilogy can do to a guy!

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 01, 2018, 11:00:52 pm »
Reviving this because I'm bored.

Han Solo movie was okay but I disliked stuff, such as Donald Glover's extremely pompous accent of Billy Williams. I'm pretty happy to see it fail just because Disney is saturating the market and are producing movies that don't work with what the fans want.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 07, 2018, 04:56:22 am »
Looks like Disney are gonna lose $50-80 million on Han Solo according to projections, and will be the first Star Wars film to lose money. Bombed in China, lukewarm reception in US and Europe. Given the size of most Hollywood blockbuster budgets these days the US market alone can't sustain them and they have to also appeal in China if they're to make serious money.

Han Solo deserved to fail. Saturated market, awful Disney management and politically divisive content. Episode IX will perform just as badly unless something major changes.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #548 on: June 07, 2018, 08:34:33 am »
It's becoming a bit like assasin's creed now tbh
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 07, 2018, 04:50:27 pm »
Looks like Disney are gonna lose $50-80 million on Han Solo according to projections, and will be the first Star Wars film to lose money. Bombed in China, lukewarm reception in US and Europe. Given the size of most Hollywood blockbuster budgets these days the US market alone can't sustain them and they have to also appeal in China if they're to make serious money.

Han Solo deserved to fail. Saturated market, awful Disney management and politically divisive content. Episode IX will perform just as badly unless something major changes.

I doubt Episode IX will fail I think most people want closure to the trilogy even though it's been rather dissapointing.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 07, 2018, 05:05:12 pm »
Perhaps, though takings for 'The Last Jedi' were significantly down vs 'The Force Awakens'. I suppose that's partly to be expected (excitement for a new film after 10+ years etc meant artificially high viewership) but the relatively low audience score on RT perhaps suggests people are turning away. It comes out next year so we'll see...

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 08, 2018, 10:38:38 pm »
It will fail. Honestly Force Awakens was trash and missed opportunity because they just remade episode IV for fanservice but failed. The Last Jedi on the other hand was 2 times worse, not suprising when you watch a few interviews with Ryan. He was asked if he thinks any of online criticism is justified, and he said None, I mean thats worse than Kanye West ego #SoHumble. Some people say SJW agenda ruined these two movies, but when you look at it it was just shit writing, there are good SJW influenced films. In a nutshell VIII-IX were ruied by awful Disney managment and prequelphobia.

Wikipedia says budget for solo was 250mil and that box office was 280mil first week, idk what are other expanses but seems like they are fine.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 10:41:20 pm by McPero »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 09, 2018, 09:52:33 pm »
Wikipedia says budget for solo was 250mil and that box office was 280mil first week, idk what are other expanses but seems like they are fine.

That $250 million is for production costs only (i.e to make the film). There's also marketing costs to consider which for major Hollywood films are huge, sometimes more than it actually cost to make them in the fist place. No idea what Disney is spending on marketing for Han Solo but as a rough guesstimate $150-250 million would be likely.

Offline McPero

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • 17e 5-4 92nd
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 09, 2018, 10:14:43 pm »

That $250 million is for production costs only (i.e to make the film). There's also marketing costs to consider which for major Hollywood films are huge, sometimes more than it actually cost to make them in the fist place. No idea what Disney is spending on marketing for Han Solo but as a rough guesstimate $150-250 million would be likely.
Ah yeah thanks.

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #554 on: June 09, 2018, 10:18:56 pm »
New Star Wars Game by Respawn, guys who made Titanfall.

You play as a Jedi after Order 66.

Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.