Author Topic: The Effect of Ping on Combat Performance  (Read 11495 times)

Offline Bob_The_Drunken_Villager

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bob
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The Effect of Ping on Combat Performance
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 12:31:58 am »
Second, I've noticed that high ping or low ping doesn't particularly make a difference in how well you play. Having consistent ping is far more important as skilled players can adjust their timing accordingly to the ping they're playing with. Example: Colonys22, consistent 90 ping and a top fragger in groupfights.

I've noticed the same thing actually. That's probably why my NA Gf K/D was at a time (~1 month, as I used to play on the NA gf 2~3 years ago) higher than my K/D on the european Gf.
"When we found the Abyss, we fought.
Through our blood, we did not find what we sought.
New challenger, end us, so we may rot.
For our journey into the Abyss, was all for nought."

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 04:02:13 am »
I play with 150+ ping on EU servers and it isn't really that bad to be honest.
On NA it can get around to 225-275 and the only bad part is the attack delay.
On top of that kicking and blocking is ez this way

Offline Dark_Knight

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • [IVe]
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Talope
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 12:23:48 pm »
ping sucks  >:(

Offline Nero_

• Lieutenant General
  • fatal not fictitious
    • View Profile
  • Nick: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2017, 10:02:08 am »
13 ping is useless

Offline Phillyz

• Colonel
  • Art & Graphics Person.
    • View Profile
    • Neptune Designs
  • Nick: Philly
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2017, 05:09:43 pm »
Ping spikes... :'(

Suns

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2017, 03:34:28 am »
100 ping is a .2 second delay, it adds up and makes quite the difference.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:39:22 am by Suns »

Offline USMC_Vicious

• Private
  • Best looking NW player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_SSgt_Vicious[MAGA]
  • Side: Union
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2017, 12:18:26 am »
Now, consider this:

So the data wasw collected from the Tropical Paradise server. TP is hosted in Europe. That means that non-europeans were by far the largest group of high-pingers (the amount of people with a really shitty connection excluded, they're an insignificant group).

Now, those non-euro's will, for the large majority, be Americans.

You haven't then ruled out another explanation to the performance difference. It might be that the Americans are just not very good at the game? One would have to compare the K/D of TP with a comparable All-american server and see if the K/D's differ.

https://i.imgur.com/a/vEpzF

I top frag all the time on TP lol even with shit ping the skill level on there is shitty
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:21:32 am by USMC_Vicious »
Best Trackpad NA
BBG Bot Survival Admin
USMC Siege Event Admin

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »
Now, consider this:

So the data wasw collected from the Tropical Paradise server. TP is hosted in Europe. That means that non-europeans were by far the largest group of high-pingers (the amount of people with a really shitty connection excluded, they're an insignificant group).

You haven't then ruled out another explanation to the performance difference. It might be that the Americans are just not very good at the game? One would have to compare the K/D of TP with a comparable All-american server and see if the K/D's differ.

I top frag all the time on TP lol even with shit ping the skill level on there is shitty

Exactly lol a solid 80% couldnt block a projected held up stab let alone feints and shit. If you really want to gauge combat performance look at the groupfighting server.
Why am I still here

Offline USMC_Vicious

• Private
  • Best looking NW player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_SSgt_Vicious[MAGA]
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 09:22:49 am »
Now, consider this:

Exactly lol a solid 80% couldnt block a projected held up stab let alone feints and shit. If you really want to gauge combat performance look at the groupfighting server.

Exactly.
Best Trackpad NA
BBG Bot Survival Admin
USMC Siege Event Admin

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 02:37:01 am »
A few things.

1. Why did you choose Tropical Paradise as the server?

No offence to anyone who regularly plays on there, but they can't fight for shit. As far as most in the community (EU at least) are concerned, the only non-duel, infantry based public server that has any real melee talent is the Groupfighting Server.

I'd estimate that about 80% of all people on Tropical Paradise, at any given time, are incapable of blocking 3 out of 3 basic attacks (no feints or anything involved, just basic attacks). The average person on this server is so incompetent that you could walk up to them, hold down attack for 5 seconds, release the attack and they would still either stand completely still or sideblock. When ever I go on the server (usually when i'm up in the middle of the night, when nobody is on Groupfighting) I tend to set myself challenges such as 'get 25 kills without dying', etc. NOBODY on this forum would have any difficulty dispatching of hordes of players on that server.

When you're that incompetent, ping isn't going to have an impact. When it's a closer match between two people who can fight, however, such as you see on duel servers or Groupfighting, ping is more likely to have an impact because all of the other potential factors leading to death are minimised through sheer ability.

2. Ping does have an impact, but only under the correct conditions.

I can only speak from my own experience. I got the game in 2012 and between then and September of 2016 I was playing with terrible internet. I think i'd come close to having the worse internet out of the active members of the community. Between this period I was finishing secondary school/sixth form and so living with my parents who have the luxury of living in a rural area. As nice as the area is, the infrastructure is severly neglected and so the internet speed was so bad that my download speed was roughly 50kb/s on Steam.

So I spent 4 years on the game with terrible ping. My ping was, on average, around 100 and every few seconds it would spike to 200/250. I was forced to accept these conditions and I managed to cope as well as players with half my ping. I learnt to chamber with this ping and it really wasn't an issue.

In September of 2016 I moved to Uni and so I have spent just over a year with far greater internet. My internet, now, is one of the best in the community. I downloaded the test for PUBG earlier today (just under 20GB) in less than 30 mins. Usually, I have the lowest ping on whichever server I go on (just hovering around 10 ping usually on Groupfighting, on other servers it can be even less, on Teamspeak it is usually about 2).

Because I have gone from one absolute extreme to the other, I have, of course, noticed a difference. Chambering is *so* much easier. It's actually become insanely easy. This includes chambering with fists as well as bayonets. Further, the ability to respond quicker to attacks and to counter much faster does play an impact. Not to mention, feinting is far more precise.

Essentially, all of the flair and style that can be brought into fighting has become much easier to access with lower ping.

On the downside, i've noticed that whilst my ability to attack has improved, my defensive capabilities have actually declined. With so much more emphesis on fancy attacking techniques, I no longer have the patient build up play or the rythmic dueling capabilities that I had before. An example: When faced with multiple opponents, I tended to put much more emphasis on both movement and blocking. I'd use w and spin a lot before blocking, slowly trying to move the opposition into a line of sorts before even considering attacking. Now I do much simpler things that often don't pay off. For example, when facing 2 or 3 opponents, the thing I do most commonly is simply chamber the first person who stabs at me but direct the chamber towards the second person (second hand chamber? Idk what you'd call this). No blocking or movement necessary.

So, for me, ping has made a big difference.

And just to top it off and prove that it genuinely is the ping, and not simply me getting better through experience over the past year, my playing time is ridiculously unproportioned.

Between 2012 and 2016 I spent just under 2,500 hours on the game. Between 2016 and 2017 I have certainly not reached 100 hours and probably haven't even reached 50. No longer running a regiment, plus finally being able to have a real life, mean that I no longer dedicate much time to the game.

One thing I will say, however, is that I am an extreme case. The jump in ping quality, from atrocious to amazing, is not the sort of numbers most people on this thread will be discussing. Naturally, if you are used to terrible ping and suddenly get amazing ping, or visa versa, you are going to feel the difference far more than somewhere in the middle (which is where most people are). My ping got well over 10x better, whilst i'd imagine most people on here are contemplating whether ping getting 2x better or worse makes a difference.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:40:52 am by Skipper »
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2017, 07:24:20 am »
Agree with everything you said Skipper, and yes it's easier to range and (block) chamber with lower ping, and it prompts more initiative / risks.

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:40 am »
i should be an expert in this

Offline ~Midnight~

• Major General
  • bring back historical names
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oprichnik | 18e
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 03:29:23 pm »

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 03:52:40 pm »
There are many factors at play here.

Ping, this is the time a packet takes to be send from your pc, to the server, and send back to your pc again. in miliseconds.

Most important for the game to feel smooth is having both the player and the server with a very solid connection, no wifi (very very important!) because the problem is not ping.. the problem is fluctuation in ping.

Lets say you have an average value of 20, it sounds awesome, but if your internet is unstable and it fluctuates +- 10 milliseconds... that is shit. and can create prediction and timing problems for the player and the server. so for sure don't play on wifi, and try to see if you have ping fluctiations by doing a ping to the server your playing on, and see if any ping spikes..
Regulary restarting your router can fix most of these delays, also some switches in your house might be shit, or the router is just bad and you should replace it with a high performance model.

On top of that high fps is important, though with a limit, in my experience don't let your client have a higher fps than 200. Because it can create timing inaccuracies.
The game is mostly CPU limited nowadays, so you can even crank the graphics settings up full, makes no difference anyway, on my laptop i even have 500 fps if I don't limit it :P
But by all means see how your system reacts to the settings.

For the server, it is running on about 111-124 fps depending on intervals at the moment. it is a hardcoded fps limit. and hopefully the server is very fast and not loaded heavily, a full server with a lot of players or bots will run on a lower FPS, because the CPU is loaded.. and thus all things will be affected and register less good. which you probably experience in big events.
Important in this case is having a extremely fast server CPU, single threaded that is, think about like a core i7 at overclocked 5 ghz, that will register great!.

How warband combat works, on click your client sends a message to server, which sends it on to the other players, there is no server side prediction or ping compensation, lower ping player is always on advantage, he can see what the other players are doing faster, and he can faster get a reaction to it to the server, for instance getting a block in just in time, whilst a player with higher ping won't be in time.

The physics engine of warband is running on 0.025 interval, meaning 40 times per second it is doing all physics calculations, for hit detection and much more, in that same interval it is also sending packages,  data gets collected and send off in those intervals.

If you have any questions please ask them.

If you have any suggestions to make the combat better then say so. :)

Offline tired

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [BBG] tired
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »

I think ping is huge. I can barely block anything with my 175 ping on EU servers, in fact, I just have to pre-guess a bit on what a player typically does if I'm going to try to block a good player.

It's not that hard to melee on Tropical Paradise, due to the skill level there. But I might go 1-10 on EU Groupfighting, and I can sometimes (rarely) top frag in NA GF.

Spoiler

In TP

[close]