Author Topic: Does anyone have Raddeo's 12th Australian Light Horse skin?  (Read 1228 times)

Offline futafusilier

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
Does anyone have Raddeo's 12th Australian Light Horse skin?
« on: September 16, 2015, 04:08:33 am »
Hey, I was browsing for some sweet skins and came upon Raddeo's thread here- https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5396.0

Unfortunately one of the best looking skins - "12th Australian Light Horse during WW1 (replace 23rd Light Dragoons)" Download link is corrupted - https://www.sendspace.com/file/4sdvvl

Does anyone still have this skin lurking around somewhere in their mod folders, maybe even in your game? I would really appreciate if someone could reupload the skin its one of the only missing ones in Raddeo's excellent collection and my game just wouldn't feel complete without it, attached pic related. I didn't want to necro the old thread I linked so I made this request here if that's alright.

Edit: And also for some reason none of the skins that I downloaded are showing up, not just Raddeon's but others from the Minor Mods board as well, are they all outdated, do servers disable custom skins or did I do something wrong? I would really appreciate some help here in figuring this out, thanks.

Edit 2: Turns out that one of the custom skins I downloaded shows up in game just fine, but the rest which are pretty much all Raddeo's don't. So I guess the issue is that they are outdated, is there a way to update them somehow and get them working with the newest version of the game?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:56:59 am by futafusilier »

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Does anyone have Raddeo's 12th Australian Light Horse skin?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:15:57 pm »
I have those skins ;) Here's the link. For the future - there's no need to make new topic to ask for such thing. You could just write on my topic, send me a PM or just find me on Steam and send me message via Steam (I'm not very often on the forum, so it may be best way probably). After this weekend I'll probably update all my download links as I've received quite a lot of messages about them in last days.

I've also just tested few of my skins and they worked fine for me. As all skins were update to the same version of NW probably the rest also should work fine. Are you sure you're installing them correctly? All you have to do is unpack downloaded archive and then copy all files (two folders and one txt file in most cases) directly into your Napoleonic Wars module folder.  If you're sure that you're doing it correctly and they still don't work, could you please tell me which ones you're trying to use? I would test them once more myself.
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline futafusilier

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 02:47:34 am »
Thank you so much man, I really like the skin, makes the Light Dragoons look so much better.

When I was installing skins I was mainly just stacking them hastily and might've made a mistake somewhere so I got a clean install and this time methodically went through the skins, and turns out they do indeed work, but after stacking many skins at once there seem to be some overlaps and bugs that result, for example your light horse skin and Coldstream greatcoat skin work just perfect on their own but if both are used at the same time then for some reason the Light Horse keeps only the hat but the rest of the uniform returns to its vanilla state.

That's the only such instance I've found so far, however I believe I've isolated why, its when you replace the troops text file, the previous one gets overwritten, for example on a clean install I put in your Australian Light Horse mod and found it to be working, now after putting many other skins, all of which have their own troops.txt, the lines get overwritten, in your Australian Dragoons troops.txt this line is to be found - trp_british_light_dragoon 12th_Australian_Light_Horse_(during_WW1) Light_Horse 0 133170176 0 0 6 0 0 - however upon checking my troops.txt now after several skin installs, the line is missing, so I believe that's why these things happen, not everyone has the same troops.txt file after all, but it doesn't seem to merge them it just seems to replace them so the changes made for one skin get overwritten in another and that's how you end up with these weird bugs or skins not working at all.

I guess one way to fix this is to take just the text that the skin requires from the provided troops.txt file and add it to your own troops.txt, I'll try that soon. There could be more to it than just the troops.txt file but that's all I can think of right now, all these skins work well on their own its just when you install multiple at the same time these strange bugs and errors occur.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 02:50:44 am by futafusilier »

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:49:27 am »
I'm glad that you like my skins.

Concerning your problems. That's just how skins work. You cannot install more than one skin for each faction. And as both 12th Australian Light Horse and Coldstream replace British units such errors will happen. It's not a matter of editing txt files (they just change name of unit ingame) but of whole brf archives which contain models and textures for units. If you really want to install more than one skins for a faction, please check my topic once more - there's short tutorial which shows how to do it.
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline futafusilier

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 05:01:13 am »
Aha I see, well it's not that big a deal, it sucks that you cant stack skins like that but rotating them between different ones per unit should be just fine for now, I'm glad I fully understand the reason why that is now because that was troubling me slightly more than the issue itself. But should I ever want to have multiple skins per faction I'll definitely look into your tutorial which I haven't seen before. Thanks again for re-uploading your Aussie Light Horse skin, cheers.  8)