Author Topic: Berlin 1900  (Read 20920 times)

Offline Skyz

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Hour Kills the Patient
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Berlin 1900
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 02:30:33 am »
Good old days. People were just happier back then. Nowadays people are so depressed and winey all the time.

Nowadays kids commit suicide because they get bullied over their facebook photos.

No one in this thread said everything was better in 1900. Don't know what you got that from. I see it as people were happier, more nationalistic, didn't wine over useless shit, better art, better music etc

This is just my opinion and you can of course have your own.

Assuming you are only referring that the good old days were Germany, then that is highley debateable. Living in any part of the world would have been awfull.

Kids in the 1900s used to be worked to death because there were so few child labor laws, there was absoutly no enjoyment of life for some people, the industry there was growing and the amount of people working in the factorys grew from 6 million to nearly 9 million between 1895-1900. The video was showing the "bright" side of germany like any other propaganda film would do.
There was protests for reforms across europe, there were threats of wars, there was little pay. The reason kids are commiting suicde over facebook photos is because of the rising problem of cybur-bullying and people taking everything from the internet seriously.

The people back then were arguing over the same shit we are arguing over now. You saw the people as the rich happy people, not the poor overworking labor which was the majority of the population. People back then couldnt wine over useless shit because the goverment would not tolerate it. Sure there was better art and music, but imo there is LOTS of good art now that isnt being expressed because time has not passed for the artist to be famous. The music in the 1900s was on the rise of singing like, unlike 1800s where Beethoven was making his part and a centurary before Mozart was in the making.

Before taking your own opinion you should at least open your eyes and not get convinced over a film, its like getting convinced by a person on the street that is doing a puppet show that Nazi Germany was a great place.

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Panini
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:03 am »
On the subject of the original video, I think living in 1900s anywhere would be awesome if you were upper class. Middle class maybe alright but lower class would be terrible (E.g. Child Labour and Civil Rights). Berlin is an interesting choice with an empire growing around it. I think I'd rather live in 1900 New York or London over Berlin though  8)

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2014, 03:13:18 am »
If we cut out those meaningless crap of the past 5 pages, I'd say Turin's statement still stands.

If you honestly think that writing a full symphony for an orchestra is the same difficulty as mashing together a 4 chords tune on Autotunes you have no idea of music. And yeah I find "modern" art, especially paintings horrible. Effectively spitting coulours on a white ground, or making two stripes over the same thing doesn't fall under my definition of art, but of course opinions differ.

I think the times were physically much harder than today yes, the life expectancy was much lower than today (45 years roughly for men, 48 for women), there were less laws and rights for poor, there was gender inequality but there was (atleast in Germany) as far as I know no slavery. Serfdom was abolished 100 years earlier (1807) in the Prussian Reforms.

Naturally we were not as progressed as today, but those were the days Germans were allowed to be proud to be Germans unlike today (even if you said so otherwise on that thread of mine). The German Empire was actually mighty, and not a puppet of the US. That's why a lot of people want to go back in time in those regards.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:59 am »
I agree on the ideas of 1900 Berlin defiantly being a nice place to live if you were a fortunate soul. But to be honest, I'd rather live in 1860s Europe than early 1900s Europe. Nationalism was about the cause one of the worst wars in human history, plus there were the obvious things like labor problems and such.

I've always seen Europe in it's most beautiful state in the early Victorian era, Impressionist art was at it's height. Science was starting to kick off, most European nations hadn't been fully entrenched into the idiocy that was "the White man's burden". It was a time of good liberalism, social and political reforms were finally beginning to make way in the parliaments and diets of many nations. If nothing else, it was a relatively peaceful time. If only the Prussians hadn't been a tad.. aggressive (In my opinion the Franco-Prussian war was justified, but not the Austro-Prussian war).

Above all else, it was a time before colonialism had become basically the strip-mining of a nation for the benefit of another nation. Colonies got treated... half decently. Better then they were at the turn of the century.

So yeah, I'd prefer 1860s Europe over 1900s Europe.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2014, 09:26:31 am »
On the subject of the original video, I think living in 1900s anywhere would be awesome if you were upper class. Middle class maybe alright but lower class would be terrible (E.g. Child Labour and Civil Rights). Berlin is an interesting choice with an empire growing around it. I think I'd rather live in 1900 New York or London over Berlin though  8)

It's still 100 times better to be rich in our times, the boundaries are endless if you have money. Still better to be middle class in our times. Still better to be lower class in our times.

Wouldn't  trade the life i have for one in 1900, never ever.

If we cut out those meaningless crap of the past 5 pages, I'd say Turin's statement still stands.

If you honestly think that writing a full symphony for an orchestra is the same difficulty as mashing together a 4 chords tune on Autotunes you have no idea of music. And yeah I find "modern" art, especially paintings horrible. Effectively spitting coulours on a white ground, or making two stripes over the same thing doesn't fall under my definition of art, but of course opinions differ.

You can't compare shitty music of one genre with good music of another. That's being biased, claiming that everything else is below you...

As with paintings, art is a way for humans to express themselves, thus anyone can express themselves however they wish. It's still art even though it perhaps lacks the 'skill' and time it took with other classical pieces. Although i think modern art is in fact ugly and doesn't suit my taste, i try to view it objectively. It's still art, and many pieces will probably be considered masterpieces in 50 years time, being bold and simple etc.

As i said before, people thought Picasso's work was trash until he died. Just because it's new and not something we are used to, doesn't neccesarily mean it's 'bad'.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Humlenerd

• First Lieutenant
  • Why are you reading this and not my post?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JeanBaptiste
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2014, 10:05:26 am »
For fuck's sake, my damned Grandfather isn't this conservative and he's a freakin Monarchist.
Your grandfather is just awesome  8)
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. - Thucydides

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
Nationalism was about the cause one of the worst wars in human history, plus there were the obvious things like labor problems and such.
Now, the war was really not caused by nationalism but by imperialism.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2014, 01:38:11 pm »
Those things are rather related. To a point where the one can't exist when the other is absent, and vice versa.

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2014, 01:53:00 pm »
Nationalism was about the cause one of the worst wars in human history, plus there were the obvious things like labor problems and such.

"Nationalism and extreme patriotism were significant contributing factors to the outbreak of World War I. Every one of Europe’s Great Powers developed a firm but excessive belief in its own cultural, economic and military supremacy. This over-confidence gave birth to a fatal misconception: that in the event of war in Europe, one’s own country would be victorious inside a few months."

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2014, 02:01:33 pm »

You don't view anything objectively, always subjectively. You've tainted history with your personal feelings to the point where you've created your own reality of it.

Germany giving a blanc cheque to Austria to wipe out Serbia has so much to do with Imperialism. If that arrogant, nationalistic Kaiser hadn't given the blanc cheque to Austria there would have been no war, but by virtue of him believing in his nation's own supremacy, he did.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2014, 02:07:10 pm »

You don't view anything objectively, always subjectively. You've tainted history with your personal feelings to the point where you've created your own reality of it.

Germany giving a blanc cheque to Austria to wipe out Serbia has so much to do with Imperialism. If that arrogant, nationalistic Kaiser hadn't given the blanc cheque to Austria there would have been no war, but by virtue of him believing in his nation's own supremacy, he did.
He dignified his alliance what is more honorable than for example spying on his friends like some great powers today are used to do it.

France did the same btw.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:09:29 pm by Turin Turambar »
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »
Are you serious?

Germany aggresively demanded neutrality from France days after decklaring war on Russia. France rightfully said no (nationalism playing its role here with France, them thinking they were superior.) then Germany declared war.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2014, 02:25:18 pm »
I'm not talking about who declared war. I'm talking about accommodations. Germany gave Austria a Blankoscheck and France assured Russia to help them in war.
In your mouth it sounds like Germany was and is the only causer of WW1 what is not more or less than wrong.

But this thread is about Berlin in 1900 and should have nothing to do with WW1.

des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:58 pm »
I'm blaming nationalism, not Germans.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile