Poll

US Presidential Election 2016

Hillary Clinton (the iron clitoris)
3 (11.5%)
Jeb Bush (three times the charm)
2 (7.7%)
Bernie Sanders (Bring the Revolution 2016)
3 (11.5%)
I'm not an American (not free) so I can't vote in your wanker election
13 (50%)
Non-voting American because I'm apathetic and there's no hope
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Politics Thread. #FreeBurgundy  (Read 110960 times)

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Politics Thread. #FreeBurgundy
« Reply #1635 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »
Or just change your system to something...democratic.

Democratic Confederalism
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1636 on: October 15, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »
two parties - 1 party = totalitarianism

much demucracy

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 15, 2014, 05:55:50 pm »
You can't just make a law that insists you have several parties in your system. That's implanting democracy from above, which just doesn't work.

Abolishing the electoral college, replacing majority vote with representative vote and no longer elect governors directly. It's simply unfair that the state where you reside in decides how much your vote is worth, considering someone (in theory) has as much to do with the president as the next guy. The electoral college is made even more undemocratic trough 'First Past the Post', where your vote is ignored if you are a minority. Every vote should be worth exactly the same, and whoever gets the most votes, wins.

As for the election of the senate and the house of representatives, third parties are kept out (and therefor, political minorities also) by having an independent election for every seat, meaning that hypothetically, a state that has 10 seats and where there are 10% vote for party A, 20% for party B, 10% for party C and 60% for Party D, party D would get all the seats. This is while 40% of the voters do not want to be represented by party D. This leads to bandwagoning, where voters no longer vote for the party of their preferred choice, but the party they hate the least which still has a change of getting in. How can anyone defend this system? Representative voting is the way.

This would of course lead to an explosion of parties that are voted into the senate and House, but hey, that's democracy. No longer would there be a single party in charge; Parties would actually have to form coalitions and agree to cooperation, which means that on a variety of issues, middle grounds will be reached, instead of one party getting everything they want.

I am aware of the fact that American politics circle more around persona then around parties, but I'm confident that with changes, that mindset can change. Political participation will rise, because now people can truly get THEIR say into state and national politics. While one can argue that this would not benefit how well the system works, the situation can't really get any worst in the USA. Democracy is, eventually, about the people having a say in how they are governed.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1638 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:20 pm »
Soz no rand Paul with his curly pubes for hair

That's a shame, it appears I'll not vote, then. :(
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 16, 2014, 10:24:59 am »
You can't just make a law that insists you have several parties in your system. That's implanting democracy from above, which just doesn't work.

Abolishing the electoral college, replacing majority vote with representative vote and no longer elect governors directly. It's simply unfair that the state where you reside in decides how much your vote is worth, considering someone (in theory) has as much to do with the president as the next guy. The electoral college is made even more undemocratic trough 'First Past the Post', where your vote is ignored if you are a minority. Every vote should be worth exactly the same, and whoever gets the most votes, wins.

As for the election of the senate and the house of representatives, third parties are kept out (and therefor, political minorities also) by having an independent election for every seat, meaning that hypothetically, a state that has 10 seats and where there are 10% vote for party A, 20% for party B, 10% for party C and 60% for Party D, party D would get all the seats. This is while 40% of the voters do not want to be represented by party D. This leads to bandwagoning, where voters no longer vote for the party of their preferred choice, but the party they hate the least which still has a change of getting in. How can anyone defend this system? Representative voting is the way.

This would of course lead to an explosion of parties that are voted into the senate and House, but hey, that's democracy. No longer would there be a single party in charge; Parties would actually have to form coalitions and agree to cooperation, which means that on a variety of issues, middle grounds will be reached, instead of one party getting everything they want.

I am aware of the fact that American politics circle more around persona then around parties, but I'm confident that with changes, that mindset can change. Political participation will rise, because now people can truly get THEIR say into state and national politics. While one can argue that this would not benefit how well the system works, the situation can't really get any worst in the USA. Democracy is, eventually, about the people having a say in how they are governed.
Could not agree more!

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1640 on: October 16, 2014, 06:13:59 pm »
I believe this fits here, it's meant as comical. Ples no take seriously
[close]
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: October 17, 2014, 12:17:31 am »
I believe this fits here, it's meant as comical. Ples no take seriously
[close]
Was that India as employee of the month? Lolololooolol
<3

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #1642 on: October 17, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »
Pursuant to the new forum policy against 100+ page threads, this thread needs to be locked. You're more than welcome to create Version 2 of the thread and continue the game banter.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 07:52:20 pm by Blobmania »
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?