Author Topic: JANFU Tactical (Arma 3)  (Read 116990 times)

Offline Aiello

• Donator
  • I like what I'm reading.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
JANFU Tactical (Arma 3)
« on: April 09, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »
JANFU Tactical is now exclusively an Arma 3 group.

History of JANFU Tactical
JANFU was founded in February of 2014 mainly from members of the North American Napoleonic Wars community as well as the Arma 2 group United Operations. However, the concept of JANFU goes back many years, back to early 2012. JANFU traces its lineage back to the short lived I44 group 32nd Armored, which consisted of roughly 14 people. The 32nd then merged into 2Para, an I44 realism unit of mainly British players. Future JANFU members, not ones to be weekend warriors, maintained steady attendance as many members of the newly formed 2Para stopped playing as Arma was more like the flavor of the month.  North American members of 2Para would then join a more relaxed Arma group, Freedom Force Alpha Alpha Alpha. However, the timing was not fortunate for future JANFU members as group drama destroyed FFAAA (FFAAA has recently reformed under new management). Disgruntled FFAAA members then laid the foundation for JANFU, but the idea never lifted off as most members stopped playing as a result of FFAAA disbanding. Many future members of JANFU then turned to United Operations, a completely open, drop in and drop out when you want, Arma 2 group that still hosts massive missions today. After about a year of activity on UO, that community began to suffer from a lack of quality in members, which comes with having a 100% open community. In February of 2014, JANFU was founded, since then there has been missions played every weekend. Never in the history of JANFU has a week gone by without an event. JANFU continues today as a thriving group with new members joining the fun all the time.

Group Info
Steam Group
Teamspeak Server: vs20.tserverhq.com:9312
(Disclaimer: Other groups are located below JANFU in TS, don't disturb them!)
Modpack
(If you have PlayWithSix installed click here to automatically download the modpack)
Group Size: Avg. attendance between 28-36
Event day/time:
Fridays and Saturdays @ 10:30pm EST
Smaller and less official session on Tuesdays @ 8pm EST

Missions:
Many Arma groups use the lazy quicker method of making missions, downloading templates or using mods like MCC Sandbox, not in JANFU!
All JANFU missions are in-house by experienced mission makers using a sophisticated framework as well as several in-house scripts. This results in high quality missions that are hard to find in many Arma groups.

JANFU missions, like most Arma groups, are one-off missions. Individual mission makers have the liberty of making campaigns, but they are not the norm for event days.

Playstyle
JANFU is relatively classified as relaxed realism, there is a chain of command in mission, a degree military etiquette, terms, and tactics, are used to increase the effectiveness of our force and to provide a maximum fun factor in mission. Many members of JANFU have described the group as very similar in playstyle to Shacktac, arguably the most famous Arma group. In many regards JANFU seeks to emulate the parts of Shacktac that work, in fact, JANFU remains as active bug testers for many Dslyexci/Shacktac mods. JANFU is looking for players that bring their game face as well as their humor to the table, as well as noobies and veterans alike.

There are many things a new member can expect from JANFU, consistency, helpfulness, friendliness, and dedication. As stated in the history JANFU has never missed an event day, you wouldn't be playing with a group that struggles to keep afloat, members of JANFU enjoy playing and come to play every week. If you have a technical issue, someone will help you solve it, chances are your problem has been encountered many times anyway. We even have a large section of our teamspeak dedicated to fixes regarding many ACE/ACRE issues. JANFU members want JANFU to thrive and will make sure that new members feel welcome. Many members have been playing the Arma/OFP series for over a decade and can help you in-game and out.

Rank System(or lack thereof)
JANFU does not have ranks in the traditional sense, you won't find Captains, Sergeants, Privates, etc. Rather, they are more like positions. Veteran and up require a degree of dedication and as a result, you can ask for the rank, or you are asked to take it. No one is forced to put in more time then they want.

Officer
The highest position acquirable, Officers are capable of filling all leadership roles with proficiency, make missions, and participate in server administration, as well as bug testing for third party Arma related entities, like PlayWithSix and Shacktac. Let's just say, JANFU's officers have, on several occasions, fixed bugs/errors for certain people. Officers do not primarily lead, but often aid in training.

NCO
NCOs are extremely dedicated members in JANFU that can fill all leadership roles, make missions, and take their time to train/assist any members, especially new ones. NCOs lead orientation sessions which familiarizes new members at any degree, new to Arma, new to ACE/ACRE, new to JANFU. NCOs also train members in technical roles, such as ACE artillery, vehicle/aircraft operation, advanced weapon systems, land-nav, etc, at the request of members.

Veteran
Veterans, like NCOs, are very dedicated members, often take leadership/technical roles. Many veterans also make missions and assist in training. Veterans have been with JANFU for several months and have shown that they care for the well being of the group.

Grunt
Grunts are the bulk of JANFU members, making up about 80% of the group. Grunts are dependable players that are proficient in most leadership and technical roles. Grunts have been with JANFU for a few weeks with steady attendance and are completely familiar with the game and JANFU's playstyle.

Rookie
Brand new members to JANFU. Rookies are highly advised, but not required, to go to a familiarization session, where NCOs will instruct them on all/any aspect of the game. If Rookies prove their ability in several sessions they can become a Grunt without going to a familiarization session. Rookie is also a probationary rank of sorts, if a Rookie has steady attendance and a solid attitude for several events then they are able to become a Grunt.

How it works In-game
Despite their being a hierarchy in JANFU, it dissolves in mission. The admin for the session will ask for a volunteer to be the Commanding Officer of the entire force, often leading a platoon element. After the CO slots, which is often a Veteran and up, he calls the roles in his force. Its usually first come first serve, you'll often have a different role every mission, unless of course you want to stick to one role you like. Leadership roles are often called first, Platoon HQ, Squad Leaders, Vehicle Commanders, etc. All remaining roles are then slotted by the remaining players, they can choose whatever they want, however it is enforced that you should not take a role you don't know how to use, unless you have a player that can coach you.

Once the roles are slotted, the mission hierarchy takes over. A Veteran could be a superior to an Officer in mission and the Officer complies with the Veteran's plan.

How to Join
JANFU has no requirement to join with the exception that you be at least 16 years old. Even then, we could bend the age limit a bit if you're a cool guy.

Playstyle
JANFU is relatively classified as relaxed realism, there is a chain of command in mission, a degree military etiquette, terms, and tactics, are used to increase the effectiveness of our force and to provide a maximum fun factor in mission. Many members of JANFU have described the group as very similar in playstyle to Shacktac, arguably the most famous Arma group. In many regards JANFU seeks to emulate the parts of Shacktac that work, in fact, JANFU remains as active bug testers for many Dslyexci/Shacktac mods. JANFU is looking for players that bring their game face as well as their humor to the table, as well as noobies and veterans alike.

There are many things a new member can expect from JANFU, consistency, helpfulness, friendliness, and dedication. As stated in the history JANFU has never missed an event day, you wouldn't be playing with a group that struggles to keep afloat, members of JANFU enjoy playing and come to play every week. If you have a technical issue, someone will help you solve it, chances are your problem has been encountered many times anyway. We even have a large section of our teamspeak dedicated to fixes regarding many ACE/ACRE issues. JANFU members want JANFU to thrive and will make sure that new members feel welcome. Many members have been playing the Arma/OFP series for over a decade and can help you in-game and out.

Rank System(or lack thereof)
JANFU does not have ranks in the traditional sense, you won't find Captains, Sergeants, Privates, etc. Rather, they are more like positions. Veteran and up require a degree of dedication and as a result, you can ask for the rank, or you are asked to take it. No one is forced to put in more time then they want.

Officer
The highest position acquirable, Officers are capable of filling all leadership roles with proficiency, make missions, and participate in server administration, as well as bug testing for third party Arma related entities, like PlayWithSix and Shacktac. Let's just say, JANFU's officers have, on several occasions, fixed bugs/errors for certain people. Officers do not primarily lead, but often aid in training.

NCO
NCOs are extremely dedicated members in JANFU that can fill all leadership roles, make missions, and take their time to train/assist any members, especially new ones. NCOs lead orientation sessions which familiarizes new members at any degree, new to Arma, new to ACE/ACRE, new to JANFU. NCOs also train members in technical roles, such as ACE artillery, vehicle/aircraft operation, advanced weapon systems, land-nav, etc, at the request of members.

Veteran
Veterans, like NCOs, are very dedicated members, often take leadership/technical roles. Many veterans also make missions and assist in training. Veterans have been with JANFU for several months and have shown that they care for the well being of the group.

Grunt
Grunts are the bulk of JANFU members, making up about 80% of the group. Grunts are dependable players that are proficient in most leadership and technical roles. Grunts have been with JANFU for a few weeks with steady attendance and are completely familiar with the game and JANFU's playstyle.

Rookie
Brand new members to JANFU. Rookies are highly advised, but not required, to go to a familiarization session, where NCOs will instruct them on all/any aspect of the game. If Rookies prove their ability in several sessions they can become a Grunt without going to a familiarization session. Rookie is also a probationary rank of sorts, if a Rookie has steady attendance and a solid attitude for several events then they are able to become a Grunt.

How it works In-game
Despite their being a hierarchy in JANFU, it dissolves in mission. The admin for the session will ask for a volunteer to be the Commanding Officer of the entire force, often leading a platoon element. After the CO slots, which is often a Veteran and up, he calls the roles in his force. Its usually first come first serve, you'll often have a different role every mission, unless of course you want to stick to one role you like. Leadership roles are often called first, Platoon HQ, Squad Leaders, Vehicle Commanders, etc. All remaining roles are then slotted by the remaining players, they can choose whatever they want, however it is enforced that you should not take a role you don't know how to use, unless you have a player that can coach you.

Once the roles are slotted, the mission hierarchy takes over. A Veteran could be a superior to an Officer in mission and the Officer complies with the Veteran's plan.

How to Join
JANFU has no requirement to join with the exception that you be at least 16 years old. Even then, we could bend the age limit a bit if you're a cool guy.

Contact to Join:
Aiello

« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:46:14 am by Aiello »

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: JANFU Tactical (Arma 2OA & 3)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:31:45 am »
You guys consider joint sessions?
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Apollo

• Colonel
  • NW Official Administrator; apparent god of the sun
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Apollo
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:50:10 am »
It's something we have thought about. If you want to talk about it, you can Steam me or I can give you Aiello's Steam.

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 11:24:15 am »
You guys consider joint sessions?
I'd be open to a joint session, we'd just have make a compromised mod-set ahead of time as well as which server to use. We'd probably also need to work out which missions to use, I don't know what your missions are like but if you play in-house missions like us we'll have to determine a middle ground everyone is fine with.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »
Our only real requirements are ACE, ACRE, and a very small Woodland BDU unit pack. We can negotiate the rest. We can also just make mission for the Joint Op specifically.
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:32:01 pm »
That sounds good, I'll add you on steam so we can work out the details.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:16:55 pm »
tfw enemy paras attempt to jump out of exploding helicopter and die miserably.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 05:24:07 am »

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:24:17 pm »
Dealing with all those dead/dying people as squad medic have me some extreme Arma PTSD.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 02:39:46 pm »
That's my only time getting scared, seeing a rocket coming right in front of the optics for the BRDM and knowing that it's going to happen too fast to react. That and acidentally jumping out and landing right in front of a Mujadeen fighter.

Also, I'm still trying to think of good ideas for a Syrian mission.

Offline Apollo

• Colonel
  • NW Official Administrator; apparent god of the sun
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Apollo
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 08:46:48 am »
Got my mission done in 30 minutes, tho. Glad we got to run that, yesterday.

Offline mjtkd

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: mjtkd
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2014, 03:00:17 pm »
Hmm wish I was in this group, oh wait  8)

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 03:45:47 am »

Offline Aiello

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 07:56:40 pm »
Hmm wish I was in this group, oh wait  8)

Can confirm, you are in group.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:00:19 pm by Aiello »