Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 236200 times)

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1785 on: April 05, 2016, 01:06:27 am »
Just to clarify, has anyone saluted to officers without arms before and can clarify how it's done? These are quotes from the Manuel d' Infanterie:

"If the general-officers or superior-officers of the regiment pass within the vicinity of the sergeants, corporals and soldiers, when they are seated or halted, those in the former case, rise and take up the position of shoulder arms (port d'arms), the bas-officiers, remove their hats[or shako I guess], the soldiers carry the hand to the hat; those in the latter case turn towards the side of which the person to be saluted is on."

"If the subordinates are on the march and they are passing their halted chjef', the bas-officiers salute, removing their hats, the corporals and soldiers carry the hand to the plate [of the shako I assume]"

"If a general-officer, superior-officer, or other calls a bas-officier (sous-officier) or soldier (to him), the latter advances to within two or three paces of his chief, brings his hat down, if he is a bas-officier; carry the hand (to the hat) if he is a soldier, and remain in this position until the officer ceases talking."

"the soldier carries the hand (to the shako), the "finger-nails" upwards, the palm to the front"

I'm mainly interested in the soldier's salute rather than NCOs. There are some terms that are a little unspecific, like "carry the hand to the hat". Any clarity would be appreciated, from what I gather you'd bring your fingertips to the plate of the shako with the palm facing forwards.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #1786 on: April 05, 2016, 01:27:06 am »
Pretty much this, I think:

A good question. I actually would like to know this myself.

Do you know how to salute as a normal soldier while having a weapon in your hand?

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 05, 2016, 01:44:47 am »
Well there's this from the manual:

"If the subordinates are on the march, under arms but not formed “in troops”, the bas-officiers carry the musket on the right arm as per the regulation; the soldiers go to shoulder arms (portez vos armes). They go to present arms, if called upon to do so by a general-officer, by the commander of the place, by a superior-officer of the regiment, or by the commander of the company."

Other than that, at a guess, if you're standing about at portez vos armes and an officer approaches I believe you presentez armes until they've walked past, usually what I do when on guard or something. But if you're holding a musket at reposez or rompe I'm not sure. I'd go to Garde vous I guess. Depends a lot on the situation.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:45 am »
Okay that makes sense. Thank you.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #1789 on: April 05, 2016, 07:29:37 pm »
Join the navy, we have a clenched fist as a half arsed salute.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:37 am »
Just polished my brasses, right down to the habite buttons for the weekend, can't wait :D

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 08, 2016, 03:49:40 am »
Only noobs are clean. :P

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1792 on: April 08, 2016, 09:12:23 am »
Anyone here know if the russo-german legion had colours during the napoleonic wars?

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 08, 2016, 11:08:01 am »
the reenactment group does  ;)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 08, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »
Russo German Legion is the coolest unit that we cut from the game when transferring from MM to NW.

:( I miss them.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 11, 2016, 01:57:24 pm »
Still knackered after a brilliant weekend at Ickworth House for the first reenactment of the season. Saturday was wet and muddy but we still managed some great volleys.
Highlight of the event for me was on Sunday when we went on a sneaky march around the house and climbing down the wall to hide along it in order to attack the British flank, then getting to skirmish for a good bit before returning to the line. Quite happy I got to do a lot of skirmishing this event, me and Davout are skirmishing buddies.
I also surprisingly enjoyed being cannonfodder for Sunday's artillery demonstration. Mostly because I miraculously survived whilst almost everyone else in the column went down. I wasted no time in legging it away from the artillery with lots of laughs from the public :P
Fantastic weekend filled with laughs, banter and firing.

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 11, 2016, 02:41:12 pm »
Russo German Legion is the coolest unit that we cut from the game when transferring from MM to NW.

:( I miss them.

they for sure didn't look like the historical russo german legion hussars but anyway badass. Just restarted the game to take a look at them
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 11, 2016, 03:16:32 pm »
Yeah. I think we confused dark green with black and stuff like that :P

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: April 11, 2016, 03:40:43 pm »
damn. I was wrong. Most of the Legions cav wore green uniforms and a lot of them shakos but in the 8. prussian ulan regiment wich was made up of legion troops, two esquadrons wore that shit here:

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 11, 2016, 04:36:04 pm »
I remember that we got the sources from that website... So it might have been that one. Haha