Author Topic: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!  (Read 312532 times)

Offline Blitz_craig

• First Lieutenant
  • Developer, War of 1812
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!
« Reply #720 on: March 31, 2014, 01:02:54 am »
I need to change the name of a faction for faction re-skin project I am working on and I have a question.

How do I get the bottom faction name to change in the opening game menu?

Example:

Empire Francaise
             French Empire

Never mind. I found the correct string.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:52:32 am by Blitz_craig »

Offline DanyEle

• FSE Associate
  • Sssh! I'm coding, don't disturb :D
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DanyEle
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #721 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:09 pm »
Languages folder in Napoleonic Wars folder, then search for that faction name in one of the CSV file in the "en" or any other language folder.

Offline Oldest_Guard

• Second Lieutenant
  • Stabber of itty bitty Riflemen
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [25th] Oldest
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #722 on: April 08, 2014, 07:42:57 pm »
Having some issues, trying to make a skin for the french where they have greatcoats, however this causes the British troops legs to change with them, how can I distinguish between the two so that they are separate?

Offline Penn

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 08, 2014, 09:16:03 pm »
Having some issues, trying to make a skin for the french where they have greatcoats, however this causes the British troops legs to change with them, how can I distinguish between the two so that they are separate?

You can only do that by coding I'm afraid. Unless you use the Vistule/Old Guard/Voltiguers (They all have their own pants)
Penn and shitz

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
  • One, who prefer to be Comrade that Human Resource
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 08, 2014, 10:04:55 pm »

You can only do that by coding I'm afraid. Unless you use the Vistule/Old Guard/Voltiguers (They all have their own pants)

Spoiler
[close]
Penn, you're not very into modding, are you? Parrot explained it once. It's very basic trick.

It's perfectly possible to separate the pants for every single unit in the game (although that will take ages). You need to get rid of the original pant's mesh by renaming it, and then add it to the tunic/torso of each unit that it was connected to. Notice how the tunics have their name and then other meshes bellow them with the same name, but followed by a number? Use this for separating the pants.

Example
british_light
british_light.1
british_light.2
british_light.3                     <--- These are the new pants
british_light_pants_old      <--- These are the original pants with the suffix "old" which prevents them from loading in NW
There is a story that scientists built an inteligent computer.
The first question they asked it was "Is there a God?"
The computer replied "There is now."
And the bolt of lightning struck the plug,
So it couldn't be turned off.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #725 on: April 08, 2014, 10:46:04 pm »
Pretty sure that would cause mesh/texture loading errors? It might not crash, but it would probably make your version of NW unstable, to say the least.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:10 pm »
No. Deleting mesh from OpenBRF doesn't cause any errors. Of course, if one wants to be fully sure that there are no errors, he can leave there empty mesh (or very small one) for old pants instead of deleting it, but in fact it would just be additional senseless work.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #727 on: April 09, 2014, 04:53:37 am »
Raddeo Blob is right.
Openbrf will automatically see that there are meshes missing without it's propper settings. This then sends the error to the game. Game is like grandpa with an Ipad, he will get confused as to why its there and how to use it, same applies to the pants adding system. I have been doing that since like 2 years ago. It slowed down the game for me, making it lag quite a bit, it was a slow process. Openbrf errors and map change is death.
Edit: But really the only way to do it without making a new mod, tried coding didn't go so well, modified vanilla with vanilla server = kicked.
You can read my whole chronicles in My shack in Talesworld.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 04:55:35 am by Betaknight »
The first modder for NW.

Offline Penn

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • If music be the food of love, play on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: April 09, 2014, 12:22:12 pm »
Pretty sure that would cause mesh/texture loading errors? It might not crash, but it would probably make your version of NW unstable, to say the least.

Agree, this does not sound like a very good idea
Penn and shitz

Offline ZuS

• Sergeant Major
  • ,,Chciałem dobrze, a wyszło jak zwykle"-Hubal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ZuS
« Reply #729 on: April 09, 2014, 02:54:22 pm »
Which model in the openBRF is used by austrain infantry officer?

I hate you 5pp. Everytime I think "yay I realized a nice application with nice pictures which show the 7e blablabla", you guys arrive and just destroy all my hopes with your magnificient posts.

Offline Raddeo

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 09, 2014, 11:10:31 pm »
Betaknight, I've never noticed such problems after using this method. Fact is, that I've never been using it on big scale (like changing all pants), only for individual items (like one or two hats, etc), so maybe there were lags but too small to notice them. But if you say that it really causes bugs and that you've tested it, then probably you're right. But still, leaving small, hidden mesh with just few polygons in place of original pants and then adding real model of pants as part of jacket should solve that problem.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #731 on: April 09, 2014, 11:15:24 pm »
Possibly... you may get rigging issues in that case though. I haven't tested it extensively, but if there are issues then that'll likely be why.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Parrot

• Donator
  • Lieutenant Colonel - Equestrian Foreign Legion
    • View Profile
    • EQFL Homepage
  • Nick: ExParrot
« Reply #732 on: April 09, 2014, 11:40:27 pm »
I've never noticed any rigging issues, the rigging seems to only be related to the mesh and not to which clothing type the mesh is classified as by the module system. On another note, I've noticed that it does take a lot longer to load into a server (and here I'm using my NW mod as a reference, and there are other factors at play there) but once I'm in, there aren't any massively noticeable problems with performance...
Check out mods I've worked on: Blood and Iron: Age of Imperialism, and North and South!

Offline Oldest_Guard

• Second Lieutenant
  • Stabber of itty bitty Riflemen
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [25th] Oldest
« Reply #733 on: April 10, 2014, 12:49:29 am »

Found a way around it :) adding sub objects to the uniform, no performance hits. But the LOD's are giving me some issues, I have LOD's set at 2 & 4 as with all vanilla models, but they are inconsistant; and in higher population servers sometimes the second LOD does not load, cause the body to disappear until hitting LOD 4, any help with this?

** turns out it isnt a server related issue, its a LOD problem, tried it in a locally hosted game, here are some images to show the issue, as you can see, it works fine with the blue Greatcoat, but makes LOD2 disappear on the gray and brown coats:

*** Fixed :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:21:32 am by Oldest_Guard »

Offline Parrot

• Donator
  • Lieutenant Colonel - Equestrian Foreign Legion
    • View Profile
    • EQFL Homepage
  • Nick: ExParrot
« Reply #734 on: April 10, 2014, 11:54:58 am »
Openbrf has a lod generator, select the meshes you want lods for, right click, and choose "generate lods"
Check out mods I've worked on: Blood and Iron: Age of Imperialism, and North and South!