Author Topic: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!  (Read 312484 times)

Offline Devmc99

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MoskovGren_Reserve
  • Side: Union
Re: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!
« Reply #585 on: December 23, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
Hi sorry if this has been answered before but couldnt find it. Im trying to change the number on the British 33rd back back from 33 to 20. I have photoshop with the dds plugin installed and I used to do reskinning. The thing is I blacked out the 44 and Use the txt box to create 20 but came out bad in game like a mixture between the 2 numbers anyone know how to change numbers on backpacks correctly?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #586 on: December 24, 2013, 03:26:30 am »
I think the number is an image layer, so if you remove that layer, then put a new one in, that should do it. Don't take my word for that, though.

Offline Nuekboi

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #587 on: December 24, 2013, 09:55:19 am »
I don't want to do anything too fancy. I just want to remodel and retexture and remodel a British line infantry troop to different regiment.

I've done it before but my previous work was far from professional:
(Retextured some parts of the 33rd)
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Can someone give me the materials, resources and tutorials required for remodeling and retexturing troop models and flags?
[/url]

Offline Nuekboi

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 24, 2013, 09:57:12 am »
Hi sorry if this has been answered before but couldnt find it. Im trying to change the number on the British 33rd back back from 33 to 20. I have photoshop with the dds plugin installed and I used to do reskinning. The thing is I blacked out the 44 and Use the txt box to create 20 but came out bad in game like a mixture between the 2 numbers anyone know how to change numbers on backpacks correctly?

I'm not absolutely sure but I believe there is a bump map and specular map that you also have to change to look like 20, but I can't recall how to that kind of stuff :( Thats why I'm here
[/url]

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #589 on: December 24, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »
I don't want to do anything too fancy. I just want to remodel and retexture and remodel a British line infantry troop to different regiment.

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Can someone give me the materials, resources and tutorials required for remodeling and retexturing troop models and flags?

The straps are slightly off. I see you were going for the "buff" color. They need a more tan/beige look: http://www.miniatuurwereld.com/Hat/hat8186g.jpg But, you are very close! Also, the ensign strap that holds the flag is still just white.

Offline Nuekboi

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 24, 2013, 05:21:28 pm »

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

The straps are slightly off. I see you were going for the "buff" color. They need a more tan/beige look: http://www.miniatuurwereld.com/Hat/hat8186g.jpg But, you are very close! Also, the ensign strap that holds the flag is still just white.

Well, see the thing is, I made those textures a long time ago and don't remember much about it. This was just a retexture. I wanna learn how to completely remodel parts of the guy AND retexture it more professionally and need help with the technical aspect of it. Thanks though
[/url]

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #591 on: December 25, 2013, 12:41:02 am »
Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

Well, see the thing is, I made those textures a long time ago and don't remember much about it. This was just a retexture. I wanna learn how to completely remodel parts of the guy AND retexture it more professionally and need help with the technical aspect of it. Thanks though
[close]
you need:
Photoshop + DDS Plugin by Nvidia
OpenBRF

Files needed:
Any mm_Countryuniforms.brf
and textures you can find which one belongs to which in the BRF, by clicking on material and then you can do the rest.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Nuekboi

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 25, 2013, 09:15:10 pm »
Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

[close]
you need:
Photoshop + DDS Plugin by Nvidia
OpenBRF

Files needed:
Any mm_Countryuniforms.brf
and textures you can find which one belongs to which in the BRF, by clicking on material and then you can do the rest.

Thanks, that should cover me for the texturing part, but how can I remodel the uniforms, or make a new one?
[/url]

Offline Parrot

• Donator
  • Lieutenant Colonel - Equestrian Foreign Legion
    • View Profile
    • EQFL Homepage
  • Nick: ExParrot
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #593 on: December 25, 2013, 10:09:17 pm »
Not possible without editing the code because those pants are shared with a lot of units.

It's possible, I managed to separate all of the British, French, and Russian pants in my mod. It takes quite a bit of time and patience though, so grab a nice beer and some good music, and settle down with OpenBRF.

-----------------------------------------------

What you'll want to do first is single out which unit you want to change the pants mesh for, let's take the French as an example, because apparently their trousers were so comfortable everyone decided to wear them. The basic French pants are located in the mm_french_uniforms.brf file, they are called french_basic_infantry_pants and they are currently linked to all basic French infantry units, and some others in other factions.

I'm going to take a second to explain how the unit meshes are currently set up in the uniform BRFs. For all units, you have the torso meshes and the pants, the torso stuff will all have the same name with a number behind it. The pants are all separate, either with the unit's name in, or shared with a pool of other units. MW looks at the torso meshes and then combines them with the correct pants mesh that it has been told to combine the torso with. If it can't find one of these meshes, it won't load it, and you'll get an invisible body part.

Now back to business....

First thing, rename your French infantry pants something else. I renamed mine "french_basic_infantry_pants (old)", now NW won't load that mesh because it can't find the right name. Load up NW and have a look at which regiments are missing their pants, make a note as this will save time later.

Head back into OpenBRF and copy paste the "french_basic_infantry_pants" mesh underneath all the torso meshes of the units that were missing their pants in-game. Rename the meshes to the name of the torso and add the next number in sequence at the end. Here's an example:

This:

Code
french_84e_body_ranker
french_84e_body_ranker.1
french_84e_body_ranker.2
french_basic_infantry_pants

Becomes:

Code
french_84e_body_ranker
french_84e_body_ranker.1
french_84e_body_ranker.2
french_84e_body_ranker.3

Because you changed the name of the normal French infantry pants, NW won't load them, but because the torso mesh now includes the pants, they'll be loaded with the torso. Great hmm? Simply do this with all the units you listed as not having pants and you're almost there.

To make sure that they don't vanish at certain distances, right click on the mesh and choose the option "Compute LODs". Save the BRF and you're done!

Hope this helps anyone who was wondering about the pants problems. I'll have a look at breaking the shared shako problem as well.
[close]

So I managed to separate shared hats using this method with one additional step.

Right clicking on the hat mesh and selecting "Mount on one bone" will give you a window where you will be able to 'attach' the hat to the final position of said hat in terms of the body. Removing the default hat texture in the BRF and adding that hat as an extra mesh to a uniform in the uniform BRF allows multiple hats to be assigned to units that would otherwise have to share.

This works really well, and looks perfect from the third person perspective, however the hat mesh appears (and irritatingly bobs about) in first person. I'll have a look about for a way to stop the mesh from appearing in first person, but if anyone has any notes on this that would be fantastic!
Check out mods I've worked on: Blood and Iron: Age of Imperialism, and North and South!

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 26, 2013, 08:57:37 am »

is there a way I can lessen or turn off the smoke from the game without lowering the game's settings?

Offline gesha17

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17th_Gdm_gesha17
« Reply #595 on: December 26, 2013, 12:36:02 pm »
(1st Problem)
Everything was working fine, the items i added weren't causing trouble, until i encountered this error while compiling the module:

Exporting troops data
Traceback <most recent call last>:
 File"process_troops.py", line 107, in <module>
  save_troops<>
 File "process_troops.py", line 38, in save_troops
  for inventory_item in inventory_list:
TypeError: 'long' object is not iterable
Exporting particle data...

I haven't changed anything in the process_troops.py file, i haven't even opened the file before this occurred.
I tried remaking the whole module, redownloaded the module system, and rewrote everything i have done before that, but the same error occurred again. Can someone help me out with this?

(2nd Problem)
I coded some items ingame, and when i start a server(The one you host ingame, not a dedicated one) i get kicked for cheating. Is there a way i can disable that? It doesn't occur when i play commanders battle, everything there is fine, but in CB i only changed the troops equipment, not he officers equipment. I tried reinstalling the module system(along with the first problem) and this is still occurring. I guess I'm doing something really stupid here, but yeah I'm a newbie :D. Is there any specific way you install the module system, or i just change the path in module_info.py?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:13:06 pm by gesha17 »

Offline Nuekboi

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 26, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »
What software do I need for remodeling soldiers?
[/url]

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #597 on: December 28, 2013, 11:57:54 pm »
How would I go about adding multiple different skins into my game? For example the napoleonic wars enhancement pack, I like it but I don't like all of the skins it uses so how would I go about making my own such pack but with my personal selection of skins?

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #598 on: December 29, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
What software do I need for remodeling soldiers?
sorry about that, you need Wings3D to remodel small things. Blender for bigger ones , Wings can do that too.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Nuekboi

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 30, 2013, 03:30:39 pm »
Ah kai thanks
[/url]