Author Topic: Developer Blog 5 - Napoleonic Wars Upcoming Patch & IndieDB  (Read 128129 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 5 - Napoleonic Wars Upcoming Patch & IndieDB
« Reply #330 on: January 26, 2013, 11:18:49 pm »
Like I said, modders should take the responsibility of attempting what they can, making it much less stressful on the developers.

EDIT: ...so that it would be an option. FSE would still have to do some tricky work, but it wouldn't be as difficult a job if the community steps in.

Uh, this will turn the DLC into a separate mod if this happens. Meaning, NW won't be NW... It'll be a mod.

No, it'll mean the developers can take what the modders have made, and turn it into a better version for the actual DLC.

Do the modders get paid for contributing to the DLC? It's a paid DLC, if they're part of it, they will need a commission for every copy sold. I doubt FSE would do that.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #331 on: January 26, 2013, 11:25:34 pm »
 Not necessarily. If a modder doesn't want to get paid, that's their business. Think of it as donations.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2013, 11:32:10 pm »
If a modder doesn't want to get paid...

That's an entirely different situation.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2013, 11:34:24 pm »
 But it is what I was saying all this time. What's the argument with dedicated, unpaid modders?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:52 pm »
But it is what I was saying all this time. What's the argument with dedicated, unpaid modders?

Not saying there is one. If I was a modder, I'd want money. But, that's just me.

Either way, it's never going to happen... As I've said two or 3 times in this thread already.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #335 on: January 26, 2013, 11:59:57 pm »
One of the benefits of a mod is that it's free, so no money would be made off it anyway

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 27, 2013, 12:05:27 am »
 kpets, are you a seer? Because I don't think you currently have the inclination to say one thing or the other right now. It could happen.

There are thousands of modders out there who make mods, with a lot of work to them, and don't expect any money. It's a hobby for a lot of people, and as someone who made games for fun in the past not expecting to make a dime from hundreds of hours of work, there really are people who would be willing to do this sort of thing for free. Vincenzo was a modder of M&B. Pretty much all of FSE is. Did they, at the time, expect payment? Surely not, but they got lucky, and was paid. That doesn't mean they were inclined to work on a game because they would be receiving money, though, as I've stated... they didn't have a promise that they'd be making money.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 27, 2013, 12:25:19 am »
One of the benefits of a mod is that it's free, so no money would be made off it anyway

We're talking about FSE hiring modders to add more factions. If I was one of those modders, I'd some of the money from sales, which is legally right.

kpets, are you a seer? Because I don't think you currently have the inclination to say one thing or the other right now. It could happen.

Not when FSE specifically said they will NOT make another faction. I don't know why you can't get that through your head.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:26:57 am by kpetschulat »

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:47 am »
 kpets, they said they wouldn't be doing it, it's too hard for them to do. However, if the community tried, it might happen.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2013, 12:47:47 am »
Hmmm... I'm growing tired of repeating the same things over and over...

They can't add another faction because of memory Issues. Many of us were surprised when they managed to fit Austria in. Another one, I guarantee you, will not work at all. There is so much background memory as is. When France and UK are matched up, the other 3 factions are "running" in the background. It causes memory to be used up. Having 4, or 5, or w/e more factions is only going to increase the lag you'll get on the game from having all these factions "run" in the background. It's very similar to having multiple programs running on a computer. The more that are running, the more general memory is being used, which means more lag.

Do you understand this now? Or, 20 posts from now am I going to have to repeat this... again. It's alright to dream, but when that dream is far from actually being possible, you should stop dreaming that dream.

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2013, 03:22:29 pm »

We're talking about FSE hiring modders to add more factions. If I was one of those modders, I'd some of the money from sales, which is legally right.

If they were to hire people to improve the game, why hire modders when you could just hire actual developers and coders.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »
That's pretty much the other thing. However, hiring a modder over a coder... is far more cheaper. Plus, many modders are excellent coders, as far as I know.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »
It's alright to dream, but when that dream is far from actually being possible, you should stop dreaming that dream.
Isn't that a purpose of a dream?
To dream the impossible?

Spoiler
Or the possible?
[close]

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2013, 02:02:17 am »
You guys should add tropical island to your official servers as a custom map, i mean there is nothing stopping you;D

Offline 0xC000009D

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2013, 09:16:49 am »
Marine colonel's always been my dream, it looks great. I can only pray that this patch development and production facilities.