Author Topic: Developer Blog 5 - Napoleonic Wars Upcoming Patch & IndieDB  (Read 128134 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 5 - Napoleonic Wars Upcoming Patch & IndieDB
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2012, 01:07:10 am »
Napolenic Wars is currently really at the edge of crashing due to Warbands engine limitations. Making ships movable would mean that the game will constantly crash, the server will constantly crash and/or lagg. I do not think that you want that.

Then maybe Naval Battles aren't right for NW. I mean, we have to wait and see. Hopefully, the way you guys going about doing this is good, but there are already people who do make naval maps with static ships and boarding planks. They work just as good.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2012, 01:10:52 am »
We will do something you will enjoy to play. Do not worry, you do not need moving ships for great gameplay.

Offline Biggun034

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Biggun
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2012, 01:22:04 am »
Wait, this isn't a indie game. it published by paradox... does that not makes it independent.

Other than that, the new stuff looks good.

Very true why has no one addressed this?   ???
We will do something you will enjoy to play. Do not worry, you do not need moving ships for great gameplay.

Well is that ridiculous the whole point of having ships is for them to move is it not?
How can two standing still objects be fun?  ???
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 01:24:40 am by Biggun034 »
Biggun
- Napoleonic Wars Official Pioneer - Napoleonic Wars Beta Follower - The Veiled Stars Supporter - Benelux Language Board Viewer -  Regimental Leaders Steamgroup Visitor - Not a donator -

Finds it funny how people show with their signature how jealous they are!  Some people...  Proudly the first person to get muted on the fourms, A true freedom fighter!

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2012, 01:36:28 am »
Napolenic Wars is currently really at the edge of crashing due to Warbands engine limitations. Making ships movable would mean that the game will constantly crash, the server will constantly crash and/or lagg. I do not think that you want that.

+1

Guys you gotta get off the back of them, they work hard to get us a game with a limited engine, hopefully we can all wait for BCoF with a better engine that MIGHT have move able boats if the team and engine allows it ;)

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2012, 04:26:58 am »
 So, I just wanted assurance. Will the Marines be available in just regular battles? (I'm sure they are, but I want to make sure) Also, should totally have the Marine's instrument that annoying whistle thing.  ;)
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2012, 04:30:30 am »
Also, should totally have the Marine's instrument that annoying whistle thing.  ;)

I like the way you think, but I don't think that qualifies as a war instrument.

EDIT:
Well is that ridiculous the whole point of having ships is for them to move is it not?
How can two standing still objects be fun?

That nearly made me vomit.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:32:37 am by Sir Audiate »

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2012, 12:49:10 pm »
i got a marine skin but not official so im waiting

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Biggun034

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Biggun
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2012, 04:14:02 pm »

Good go vomit..... ???
The fact is that you don't have to brown nose the developers constantly, it gets you nowhere. I was stating my opinion on the matter, don't have anything constructive to say whats the point of saying anything.   
Biggun
- Napoleonic Wars Official Pioneer - Napoleonic Wars Beta Follower - The Veiled Stars Supporter - Benelux Language Board Viewer -  Regimental Leaders Steamgroup Visitor - Not a donator -

Finds it funny how people show with their signature how jealous they are!  Some people...  Proudly the first person to get muted on the fourms, A true freedom fighter!

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2012, 05:04:59 pm »

Good go vomit..... ???
The fact is that you don't have to brown nose the developers constantly, it gets you nowhere. I was stating my opinion on the matter, don't have anything constructive to say whats the point of saying anything.

^ This very much.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2012, 07:02:03 pm »
 Biggun, you're acting as if I was criticizing the developers. I never was. I was a bit disappointed that naval battle weren't being added, but I left it at that.

What made me vomit was the part were you were criticizing the developers for adding "two static objects."

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2012, 07:31:32 pm »

Good go vomit..... ???
There's a difference between brown-nosing and supporting the devs in their work, especially when they take time off their current project to do something for their long time fans. They're not your personal slaves, and are by no means obligated to give you anything more than what was in the initial release. Stop being such an ungrateful little whelp.

My personal take on it is that static ships will probably provide even better gameplay than moving ones. Who wants to stand around on the deck of a ship for 5 or 10 minutes, unable to do anything but take potshots (with musket and cannon alike), until they close with the enemy? Much better in my opinion, to condense naval combat to the close ranged broadsides and boarding actions that decided most ship to ship actions. This is where Warband's combat system can really shine.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 07:35:55 pm by Rogov »

Offline Budzinskiy

• Sergeant
  • I'm retired from MM.I was captain in an Army corp
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Budzinskiy
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:27 pm »

Good go vomit..... ???
There's a difference between brown-nosing and supporting the devs in their work, especially when they take time off their current project to do something for their long time fans. They're not your personal slaves, and are by no means obligated to give you anything more than what was in the initial release. Stop being such an ungrateful little whelp.

My personal take on it is that static ships will probably provide even better gameplay than moving ones. Who wants to stand around on the deck of a ship for 5 or 10 minutes, unable to do anything but take potshots (with musket and cannon alike), until they close with the enemy? Much better in my opinion, to condense naval combat to the close ranged broadsides and boarding actions that decided most ship to ship actions. This is where Warband's combat system can really shine.

+1 to Mr Rogov

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »
Can we expect the patch before 2013?

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »
Can we expect the patch before 2013?

Perhaps for Christmas? :D

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »
Gentlemen, believe me the devs would love to do naval battles for NW but:

a) TW doesn't release its game's source code making it impossible to alter the way the engine works.
b) I think everyone on the team has pushed for naval battles but being that NW is MP only and that there are large instabilities in attempting larger/ish naval battles, the only thing your really going to get out it is a CTD.

The props will hopefully act as a decent spawn base for amphibious type landing missions and possibly some static naval battles. Currently there is one map on some of the Aussie servers that has two ships side by side where one team attempts to board the other team's ship.

Its not perfect but hopefully the Unity engine will be more flexible in this regard.

Spoiler

[close]