Author Topic: Developer Blog 5 - Napoleonic Wars Upcoming Patch & IndieDB  (Read 128110 times)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 5 - Napoleonic Wars Upcoming Patch & IndieDB
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2012, 01:48:16 am »
 I think there's a bug somewhere along the line that makes black characters have white hands. Might be fixed, but yet again, might not.

EDIT: I found this on NaS, not sure if relevant to other stuff.

How about a woman? Will they have breasts with some sort of chest wrap or shirt, or something?

As far as I can understand that question, I'm pretty sure no. I don't think they have a female body at all. But if someone were to make a female model for each unit with some sort of feature that's either the same or different from the unit at hand. Dresses to watch their boys kill- get massacred by the yankees, perhaps?

I was thinking I was in a NaS section.

Offline Peter

• Sergeant
  • Otherwise known as: Biteme, Retep and Mr awesome
    • View Profile
    • Casual Scribbling
  • Nick: Biteme
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »
Well even in the title being developed called "Caribbean" they have stated that boarding actions will take place after a loading screen. So you wont be controlling your guy walking on the ship, you will be controlling a ship, then initiate some sequence which takes you into a boarding fight. This method is the boring, immersion breaking and an easy option which has been used in naval games since they first appeared. The Warband engine prevents anything else though.
Cogito Ergo Sum

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2012, 02:36:09 pm »
It would be cool if it was all one smooth motion, but you have to remember they are a fairly small company aren't they?

Offline Humlenerd

• First Lieutenant
  • Why are you reading this and not my post?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JeanBaptiste
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2012, 05:16:53 pm »
Well even in the title being developed called "Caribbean" they have stated that boarding actions will take place after a loading screen. So you wont be controlling your guy walking on the ship, you will be controlling a ship, then initiate some sequence which takes you into a boarding fight. This method is the boring, immersion breaking and an easy option which has been used in naval games since they first appeared. The Warband engine prevents anything else though.
Moving ships(like the frigate) should not be a problem in SP if you have a decent computer(I guess all you have to do is to make the frigate in a smart way with as  few hitboxes as possible(or something)). But in MP, it's impossible due to the huge amount of stress the server has to deal with(again I guess: hitTesting and such).

PS: What I guess here is just based on my knowledge about programming some basic games(like platformers and such).
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. - Thucydides

Offline TheGeekful

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:25 pm »
Awesome patch for the game, can't wait to play it!

Offline bartekbaree

• Private
  • 17th_Rgl_BartekBaree
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »
My dreams came true! :')

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2012, 07:41:37 pm »
I really like you Olaf, but this time you disappoint me.. Adding ships and making me hyped for naval battles, but you come with this?! ಠ_ಠ
Sorry, but you are coming across as a completely ungrateful little twat. The Devs put loads of hard work into including things in the patch that the community wanted, working using an engine which is limited in certain respects, and you have the nerve to complain?! Make a mod which the community wants to play more than this, and then come back and start complaining.

On a more positive and constructive note, it looks great, and I am sure that the ingenuity of the community will find countless ways of using the new content.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2012, 10:27:42 pm »
I really like you Olaf, but this time you disappoint me.. Adding ships and making me hyped for naval battles, but you come with this?! ಠ_ಠ
Sorry, but you are coming across as a completely ungrateful little twat. The Devs put loads of hard work into including things in the patch that the community wanted, working using an engine which is limited in certain respects, and you have the nerve to complain?! Make a mod which the community wants to play more than this, and then come back and start complaining.

On a more positive and constructive note, it looks great, and I am sure that the ingenuity of the community will find countless ways of using the new content.

I have heard that so many times, MrTiki. I challenge you to do the same, then you can complain about people complaining.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2012, 11:01:23 pm »

Calm your tits. Im saying disappointed because I can. I can't mod for shit, but they can. They should find a way around this. I was really hyped for controlling my own frigate against my enemies and fire off the cannons, but nho, they can't. I understand its very limited, but they could do something atleast and try.

And you are the twat.

Offline TheGreatSnoop

• Private
  • Give me some chon chon! >:O
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2012, 11:07:37 pm »
I have no idea why they can't adds the components of a regular ship (lifeboat) and just larger to pull this off. It doesn't have to have cannons..

Cannons are not the actualy problem. They just increase it even more. The problem, is the size of the frigate. It is too large to move it without crashing the server or the game... :(

I would like to do it differently, but it does not work, due to Warbands Engine. :(

What would you have him do? If Warband's engine won't allow it, then Warband's engine won't allow it.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2012, 11:10:47 pm »
What would you have him do? If Warband's engine won't allow it, then Warband's engine won't allow it.

There were better ways to introduce the ship model, rather than to act as if naval battles were going to be added.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2012, 11:20:09 pm »

There were better ways to introduce the ship model, rather than to act as if naval battles were going to be added.

This.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2012, 11:24:14 pm »
 Agreed. I think there should have been strict information that the ship models are just that: ship models. While cool and will surely be put to great use, they cannot be used for the big naval battles that many people have only dreamed of.

To the devs, I have a question. Will the ships have interiors that can be explored? I would really like to see that, so the ships wouldn't seem as 'static.'

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2012, 11:44:49 pm »

Exactly. I was really hyped and even tried to convince someone to make a Marine regiment, but then I get to know that the ships will be static.. Its disappointment. They need to be more informative.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2012, 12:43:01 am »
Napolenic Wars is currently really at the edge of crashing due to Warbands engine limitations. Making ships movable would mean that the game will constantly crash, the server will constantly crash and/or lagg. I do not think that you want that.