Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231559 times)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1425 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:34 am »
Gum blankets in Europe? :P  Not at that time, no.

Anyway, I found some nice pics. Wish I was there.

Spoiler

[close]

This would never happen in the Netherlands, the authorities would start bitching about fire safety with all that straw and branches.
I had an event in which we stayed on stone and they already bitched to us about fire safety. I mean seriously, what is there to torch if you have nothing but stone and brikcs around you.
They are very careful, and in some cases too careful. But in this case, with that exact setup, I can see why they would be upset.
As for the stone & bricks, you sure there wasn't any hay around ?
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1426 on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:22 am »

Spoiler

[close]

This would never happen in the Netherlands, the authorities would start bitching about fire safety with all that straw and branches.
I had an event in which we stayed on stone and they already bitched to us about fire safety. I mean seriously, what is there to torch if you have nothing but stone and brikcs around you.
They are very careful, and in some cases too careful. But in this case, with that exact setup, I can see why they would be upset.

Nope nothing, it was in an old fort. We had set up tents on a paved square just outside it. There was no hay distrubuted during this event at all.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #1427 on: October 08, 2014, 10:57:05 am »
I don't. I shoot at them for all of my impressions.

#DixieForever
#GottSchützeDenKönig
#WehrmachtBitchesAt

There are easy ways to sleep outside, even without a tent. A tent is optimal to protect from any possible rain. All you really need is insulation and that's very easily done with dry vegetation (straw works fucking amazing) and making sure your feet are very well insulated since they are pretty much your only extremeties that are the most difficult to warm up. Wear a cap (a night cap I suppose for you NW folk) to keep the head warm. Layers work wonders. If all else fails, snuggle up to your comrade. No homo.

My typical sleeping situation involves 1 blanket, 1 greatcoat, and my jacket. I wear all the other parts of my uniform including my boots WITH THE EXCEPTION if it will be under freezing temperatures. Sweaty feet in boots turns into freezing feet in boots. I'll usually lay on my greatcoat, have my jacket lay over my chest/neck/head, and then have the blanket on top of all of that. Pretty comfortable as far as sleeping on the ground goes. Bring spare socks/footwraps, long underwear, and a good attitude. Sometimes sleeping in a hole is more comfortable than the flat ground because I can allow myself to get snuggled into the ground. A little dig here, a little dig there, and you've got a customized bed.

Spoiler

[close]

Do they not teach you how to make a fire in yurop? Should've made a pretty good clearing around that firepit. Straw catches quicker than anything. That's pretty lazy. A meter or so would've been fine.

EDIT: I'd like to note that sleeping outside when it's under freezing - it's one of those things you need to prepare for. You can't just sleep outside like the rest of the year. More planning needs to go into your shelter and PLENTY of insulation should be kept at hand. A fire only does so much, especially when it burns out halfway through the night. You have to remember that the guys who did it for real a few hundred years ago built winter quarters in varying quality. You aught to do the same.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:01:58 am by Landrik »
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1428 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

Spoiler

[close]

And that while we have a very capable FD.
Also, treest don't just catch fire because of a small campfire. Neither do bushes. As long as the tents and hay aren't with in 5 metres of the fire, and you don't use wood that has the burning pieces pop off, it's perfectly safe, as long as you have some buckets of sand, stash of sand or water source nearby.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #1429 on: October 08, 2014, 03:11:49 pm »
I like how you guys avoid sleeping without tent because of the damp.

While wool blanket is there to keep you warm and gum blanket to keep you dry.  Now before you try fight back by saying nap war is way earlier than ACW. My buddy Brent sitz does Rev War and he too has a rubberized ground sheet. So, you telling me that nap war decided to drop that certain piece of equipment?

Yes, definitely. No such items were ever issued to French (or Dutch) units.

Sucks to be the losers (except the Dutch, luv 'em) 

Must be limited to the Crown's Force I guess. Now since rubber blanket don't exist for the "Frenchies" what do you use to cover the ground then in the tent? The morning dew still will be there anyway.

Well you use straw your greatcoat and blankets. That's all you have. In theory, if it is really cold and wet you can also make a pit, fill in some hot coals or bricks that you warmed up inside the fire and cover it with earth. Gonna keep you warm overnight.

I don't. I shoot at them for all of my impressions.

#DixieForever
#GottSchützeDenKönig
#WehrmachtBitchesAt

There are easy ways to sleep outside, even without a tent. A tent is optimal to protect from any possible rain. All you really need is insulation and that's very easily done with dry vegetation (straw works fucking amazing) and making sure your feet are very well insulated since they are pretty much your only extremeties that are the most difficult to warm up. Wear a cap (a night cap I suppose for you NW folk) to keep the head warm. Layers work wonders. If all else fails, snuggle up to your comrade. No homo.

My typical sleeping situation involves 1 blanket, 1 greatcoat, and my jacket. I wear all the other parts of my uniform including my boots WITH THE EXCEPTION if it will be under freezing temperatures. Sweaty feet in boots turns into freezing feet in boots. I'll usually lay on my greatcoat, have my jacket lay over my chest/neck/head, and then have the blanket on top of all of that. Pretty comfortable as far as sleeping on the ground goes. Bring spare socks/footwraps, long underwear, and a good attitude. Sometimes sleeping in a hole is more comfortable than the flat ground because I can allow myself to get snuggled into the ground. A little dig here, a little dig there, and you've got a customized bed.

Spoiler

[close]

Do they not teach you how to make a fire in yurop? Should've made a pretty good clearing around that firepit. Straw catches quicker than anything. That's pretty lazy. A meter or so would've been fine.

EDIT: I'd like to note that sleeping outside when it's under freezing - it's one of those things you need to prepare for. You can't just sleep outside like the rest of the year. More planning needs to go into your shelter and PLENTY of insulation should be kept at hand. A fire only does so much, especially when it burns out halfway through the night. You have to remember that the guys who did it for real a few hundred years ago built winter quarters in varying quality. You aught to do the same.

Yeah, as said before it does not seem like they care much for saftey. Maybe the straw was wet or they just were very careful and always had a watch around the fire. Usually you always have to have a pot of water next to your fire, and it needs to be far enough away from your straw and tents. On some events you also get fire extinguishers.

Looking at it, this groups seems to be doing it everywhere.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:59:31 pm by Olafson »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #1430 on: October 08, 2014, 04:05:41 pm »
Looks like they've done it before plenty of times so know what they're doing, could be they pour water on the surrounding straw to keep it from igniting?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 08, 2014, 05:26:57 pm »
Or they're just careful. It is not like a little little spark can ignite all the straw. Put out the fire during night, guard it during day.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #1432 on: October 08, 2014, 06:17:25 pm »
Tried my hand at making some cartridges today, how'd I do?

Quite a large image
[close]

Quite good, though the bottoms could be better, make the bottom part shorter, then really smash that bitch flat on the table, it will stay better closed this way.

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #1433 on: October 08, 2014, 07:17:03 pm »
Tried my hand at making some cartridges today, how'd I do?

Quite a large image
[close]

Quite good, though the bottoms could be better, make the bottom part shorter, then really smash that bitch flat on the table, it will stay better closed this way.

Yeah I could tell that was the roughest part, I'll give it another go here in a few,  thanks.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #1434 on: October 08, 2014, 09:47:23 pm »
Looks like they've done it before plenty of times so know what they're doing, could be they pour water on the surrounding straw to keep it from igniting?

A waste of water, to be honest.

All I'm saying is that it's super easy to clear everything away from the firepit and you don't have to worry about it jumping somewhere if you want to fuck off and do other things. They can do as they wish, but straw burns very easily and can lead to a burnt shako. :P
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1435 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »
Well, as soon as I have my full uniform, so including greatcoat and woolen trousers, and it's within historical season (Winter campaigns were avoided and men froze to death when they failed to do that. Gonna skip that one, call me a farb all you want), I'll try out historical accurate bivouacking. And maybe I'll hate it, never do it again and farb-sleep until the day I die, but at least I'll have tried it.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #1436 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:49 pm »
At Hoogstraten this year, I slept on only straw and a woolen blanket, inside a tent though  :-\
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #1437 on: October 08, 2014, 10:48:02 pm »
Same for medieval. On the whole, levied armies meant you could only campaign when the peasants had nothing better to do, like planting or harvesting their lord's crops.

As for fires, we're not even allowed them on the ground, we have to have a raised fire pit because people get antsy when their grass is scorched, let alone a hay inferno starts.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 08, 2014, 11:00:38 pm »
Well, as soon as I have my full uniform, so including greatcoat and woolen trousers, and it's within historical season (Winter campaigns were avoided and men froze to death when they failed to do that. Gonna skip that one, call me a farb all you want), I'll try out historical accurate bivouacking. And maybe I'll hate it, never do it again and farb-sleep until the day I die, but at least I'll have tried it.

Good, call me then, so we can do it together!
That is... If you are in the same camp. Stupid Nassau!

Same for medieval. On the whole, levied armies meant you could only campaign when the peasants had nothing better to do, like planting or harvesting their lord's crops.

As for fires, we're not even allowed them on the ground, we have to have a raised fire pit because people get antsy when their grass is scorched, let alone a hay inferno starts.

Yeah, and it looks extremely stupid if you can not make fire pits. Just in case, I bought an extremely farb, modern day brazier. I hope I will never have to use it, but you never know.
Still better than having no fire.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 11:02:28 pm by Olafson »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 09, 2014, 05:52:54 pm »
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/n-ssa-exploded-musket-images.104901/ 

Rest in peace ye beautiful original Springfield.  :'(