Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 231662 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2014, 10:54:39 pm »
Culverin?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2014, 12:24:56 am »
Hey, at least you aren't a marine on dry land!

You re-enact Dutch/French sailors, so that's entiiiiiiiiiiiirely accurate.

That's...that's.....just mean....

Spoiler
[close]

I wasn't kidding. It's historical accurate. More historical accurate then being on a ship for the 1806-1814 timeframe.

Small cannon on yellow wheels? o.o

After you lost your hearing, you'll understand.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2014, 02:02:26 pm »
Who's bringing that thing? That way I know who or what I should avoid.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »
Group of Belgians with bad uniforms. French uniforms.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »
Name?
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2014, 02:31:13 pm »
A question for you folk that im surprised that I havent seen here. What is your opinion on rank? Do you guys hold ranks beyond private in your respective units? Do you enjoy it or would you rather be a private. Myself I know I wouldn't want to be anything above a private.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2014, 02:33:31 pm »
I think that's relative to the groups. The group I joined started me as a Schuetze (Private). After a certain amount of events - I think three or four -, I will get a "Deutschland" cuff link and a promotion to Oberschuetze (Private, First Class... sorta'). After that, it all depends on the group leader to give promotions.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2014, 03:27:11 pm »
Name?

Had to look it up: José Franco. Just ask anyone 'What's the deal with that José guy', and they'll probably answer 'Big boom'.

A question for you folk that im surprised that I havent seen here. What is your opinion on rank? Do you guys hold ranks beyond private in your respective units? Do you enjoy it or would you rather be a private. Myself I know I wouldn't want to be anything above a private.

I've just a trooper and I like being that. Of course, we already have a sergeant and a corporal so we really don't need anymore ranks. Our corporal leads exercises and our sergeant commands in the field; Works perfectly. We'll never get an officer simply because we don't need one, it looks stupid and it's deadly. (Inside joke, right there  :P )

Whether I would like to hold a rank is something entirely different. I find that wanting a rank because it's rank is the best reason to NOT be given a rank. That being said, I've been in sub-command one or two times before (when I was still a dirty peasant, aka infantryman) and I actually liked doing it. Important when someone is given a rank, is that he accepts the positive and negative aspects of it. What I see too often is people playing NCO with a sabre, playing important and telling everybody how NCO's were much more important then officers anyway. I'm sure you've all met these guys.

One time, I was invited to a small re-enactment with another infantrygroup and a few others guys were invited as well. One of those other invited guys managed to get a sorta MP-role, and from that he just went full officer. When we were marching, he would give command, while no-one asked him too. During our longest drills, he simply left the ranks and went to have a talk with someone, while the rest of us are marching. Cos he officer. Sigh.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:30:49 pm by Duuring »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2014, 03:40:02 pm »
I would like to hold Corporal rank soon and definately do want to be First Sergeant in the future in ACW.

Gefreiter in WW2.

As right now, I am just a private/Grenadier.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2014, 04:12:46 pm »
1st Sergeant is best rank. High enough to get bitches, low enough to show people you work for a living.

The equivalent of 1st Sergeant is Sergeant-Majoor in Dutch (And French)  :P

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2014, 04:22:30 pm »
Damn Straight Duuring!  8)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2014, 08:31:34 pm »
2nd Lt in Marines/ Lt is NSW Corps and Lance Corporal (up for promotion end of this year if i pass)
Acting Corporal and soon probably to be confirmed in 21eme

we do it on years (+5 for anything big) /commitment/historical accuracy (i sleep in Barns etc instead on tents)

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »
'Rank' as it exists in my group is based on weapon competencies and gear. Time spent in the group contributes slightly as you need to take part in show seasons to meet certain criteria. The quickest you could get to knight is two years.

At the moment I'm technically a 'bondsman' working my way to being graded as a levy, which requires me to have basic soft kit, be competent with a sword and be a responsible group member.
At the same time I'm training a lot with axes, which works towards my competency grading for being a sergeant-at-arms.

Rank is something that's more important to the combat stuff than the actual running of the group. Most people on the group committee are knights, but mostly because they've been there the longest. A member who's a knight isn't inherently more important than a member who's a levy.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:44 am »
I've acted as a Leutnant at one event. Honestly, the way I was going around I felt more like an Unteroffizier. It was a lot of work and organizing and not getting too much time to sit and chat. It was also a learning experience and I had a lot of fun.

...but I sure as hell like Gefreiter. If you're doing your rank justice, you'll find it's a lot of work but really rewarding because a leader serves those under him. It can't be a one-man show either and it's definitely not a democracy, although it is good to get along with your guys otherwise it's not fun for anyone. It's a hobby afterall.

For WWI and ACW I'm just a lowly Musketier/Private. I'm good with that. Running around to different camps in brogans is already way more work than marschstiefeln. Don't want to make a job out of it if I can, haha.

--

By the way, none of y'all can be as O.G. as this:
Spoiler
That's a real muthafuckin G
[close]
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2014, 06:05:27 pm »
Of course it had to be the black guy  ::) ::)