Author Topic: "Does money make you mean?"  (Read 4343 times)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
"Does money make you mean?"
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:48:36 pm »
Hey everyone, it's your favorite religious social democrat here.

So I've been trying to dive into the real "Phsychology" of Socio-economics, and I found this little video here. It's a TED talk done by a researcher at UC Berkley, and his findings on the actions of people when compaired to their ecomonmic status.

So, I'll ask you guys. Do you think money can make you mean? I'll ask that you watch the video before posting though.

Link: http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_piff_does_money_make_you_mean.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:07:39 am by ClearlyInvsible »
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

AeroNinja

Re: "Does money make you mean?"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:50:07 pm »
Money makes you only happy for a short periode. When the short periode is over, it makes you mean.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:08:32 pm »
story time!

you brought this upon yourself :P

A friends friends, friend, won the lottery of i think it was like 1.5 million or something. Now, what they did with the money was that they bought a farm in the countryside, with a little extra house. They helped a friend of theirs out, by giving them the house for free because they struggled very hard to put food on the table, and often they couldnt. So this was a big help to them. Overtime, the people who bought the farm started to demand little bits of rent, and gradually that escalated into a great deal of money each week, which they could not afford. And then once the people who bought the farm eventually, after not getting money from the rent, evicted their friends and when they got home from a day out, they found their bags out the front and the doors and windows to the house locked.

And they were friends since they were in pre-school together...

Moral of the story is that you never trust anyone with money when you have none and they offer you something.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:10:30 pm »
That... is a really sad story actually. You're allowed to ramp up rent like that?
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:15:09 pm »
That... is a really sad story actually. You're allowed to ramp up rent like that?

well its hated on by everyone, but its completely legal and there is no law breaking involved.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:24:31 pm »
Some men can handle power, some can't. Same with money.

And no Augy, anarchism isn't the answer. Because it doesn't exist. Looking for leadership is human nature. I've got ten thousand years of Human history to proof it.

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 01:39:55 pm »
Money can't make you happy. Only the stuff you can buy with it, that is also for a short period of time until it gets boring and you want something new.
The money it self can't buy you happiness, it can buy you the: accessories, electronics, cars, houses that will help you feel happy.
But the happiness, it self, could be achieved with: doing stuff, being active, live life to the fullest.
So, yes, money can make you mean, but only if you have plenty and the 1 billion dollar worth company that gives you a stable income.
(Learning this in debate class, and in a course I am taking outside school).
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:34:10 pm »
Money is evil.
Pointy stick champion

AeroNinja

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:50 pm »
Money can't make you happy. Only the stuff you can buy with it, that is also for a short period of time until it gets boring and you want something new.
The money it self can't buy you happiness, it can buy you the: accessories, electronics, cars, houses that will help you feel happy.
But the happiness, it self, could be achieved with: doing stuff, being active, live life to the fullest.
So, yes, money can make you mean, but only if you have plenty and the 1 billion dollar worth company that gives you a stable income.
(Learning this in debate class, and in a course I am taking outside school).
I totally agree with this.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 03:58:43 pm »
Money is evil.

Communist alert!

Everyone who says 'ohh manies duttint giff u hapenis' are full of themselves and don't think about people with other ambitions.

Money can lead you to your happiness and can extend and preserve it in a variety of situations, however it i human nature to constantly seek new happiness and challenges. Our happiness levels works much like a rollercoaster going up and down, so ofcourse money wont keep you happy forever, nothing will! There is no such thing in human life such as everlasting happiness, no matter what you say. It's all proven in empirical studies.

l2psychpls

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:00:48 pm »
To answer directly to the question given (and not the other ones people are responding to)

Yes money CAN make you mean, just look at corporate america today, a good example, how many of them are actually not mean? lol

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 04:05:47 pm »
Money is evil.

Everyone who says 'ohh manies duttint giff u hapenis' are full of themselves and don't think about people with other ambitions.
Did I EVER say money doesn't give you happiness? I said money does contribute to happiness, but the person itself is also involved in the process of getting happiness.
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:19:58 pm »
Pointy stick champion

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »
It makes sense that money gives people "power". We gave money power, and it's become a universal thing for wealth and capability. We expect rich people to be much more capable of doing things than the broke homeless, but often you won't find the rich juggling flaming claymores, speaking with a 'golden' radio host voice, and rapping about the ghetto/hood.

Having a lot of money therefore makes people initially assume (even without them realizing) that they're powerful, and once you have money/power, you want to keep it/get more, no matter the cost. That's how it is for most people.

Thus; if I ever get in contact with absurd amounts of money, I'm doing what I can to not keep it. It makes one a right dick.

AeroNinja

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:37 pm »
I know many people they HAD alot of money then they got so many problems on their work and bang bankrupt.

So I don't think having alot of money is that much fun either just my opinion.