Author Topic: Lancers: Still an Issue AGAINST OTHER CAVALRY  (Read 7261 times)

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Lancers: Still an Issue?
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 11:30:02 pm »
This is about lancers against other Calvary types.
Yeap, the problem is that they are more effective against infantry than any other cav units (especially after this fucktarded patch)

Can you two get together and decide which aspect of lancers you wish to complain about?
I think talking about both would be lovely.

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:58 pm »
I agree with the general opinion here that lancers indeed are killable, even as cavalry. The problem, though (from my point of view), is that lancers are a lot easier to get in to. A whack-ass lancer can kill a decent hussar or cuirassier, and a decent lancer has an easier job at killing good cavalry than a decent hussar would have, and I think there should be a way to balance that a bit more, if only FSE were to make another patch. I can live with the way lancers are now, but I'd like to see them downscaled a bit more.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2013, 12:30:58 am »
The problem, though (from my point of view), is that lancers are a lot easier to get in to. A whack-ass lancer can kill a decent hussar or cuirassier, and a decent lancer has an easier job at killing good cavalry than a decent hussar would have

That is entirely the point of anti-cavalry cavalry. They have a longer weapon to strike their enemy before they can be struck themselves.

I can live with the way lancers are now, but I'd like to see them downscaled a bit more.

How? Shorter lances? No sword? Slower horses? Any of these would take them from being a decent class to the worst possible choice. They already have a lower one-handed skill, and a lower riding skill than hussars, and they can't block with their primary melee weapon (Which every other class in NW can do, with the exception of a Russian partizan with the long pike)

Lancers are, by design, overpowered. And I hope that never changes.

And their ability to kill infantry is simply a side-effect of the fact that they're.. you know.. carrying a spear.

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2013, 01:10:20 pm »
Yea, that's the problem, I can't think of a way to downgrade em a bit more without making them completely underpowered.
Also, it's almost impossible to make them the worst possible choice, as long as British Light Dragoons are around. :P

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2013, 01:26:09 pm »
Yea, that's the problem, I can't think of a way to downgrade em a bit more without making them completely underpowered.

Yes, that is a problem. Lancers are at the lowest point they can be at, and still be a viable choice, and people want to make them worse.

Also, it's almost impossible to make them the worst possible choice, as long as British Light Dragoons are around. :P

The British light dragoons aren't a bad choice at all. Not my kind of cavalry, as I prefer to use a pistol at most, but a viable option nonetheless. And should lancers be 'nerfed' in any fashion, the light dragoons would be better off.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2013, 10:43:01 pm »
Decrease polearm proficiency:

It's very, very heavy to turn around a long solid piece of wood. It should be quite useless in CQB.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »
It should be quite useless in CQB.

It already is, unless you can chamber damn well, and you're facing someone with a bayonet. It's the same on horseback; If you get within sword swinging distance, and stay there, a lancer is yours to kill, because his lance will bounce all day long.

Offline Curtis

• Sergeant
  • You tyrants of England, your race may soon be run
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ludd
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 02:51:58 pm »
the only issue i have with lancers is the fact that everyone sees 47th_lancs tags and called us the 47th lancers. but other than that, lances are fine

Offline Jelly

• Colonel
  • Formerly of 1stKDG, 60th, 1erChas, K-KA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:00 pm »
Maroon, everyone knows British Light Dragoons are the best cav in NW, y u heff to be med at them?

Offline Rozza

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rozza
  • Side: Union
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 09:24:44 pm »
What is the point in this thread?

People have been bitching about lancers since MM. It doesn't matter if they are slightly better than the other classes. You can't nerf lancers to make them equal to other classes, it's simply impossible. There is a reason the lance was the dominant weapon in the Napoleonic Wars!

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2013, 09:40:37 pm »
I don't recall making posts about any sort of nerf, I argued for the event regulations of limiting lancers in events versus other cavalry in the OP.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
Re: Lancers: Still an Issue AGAINST OTHER FUCKING CAVALRY
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »
Just lock the thread.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
Re: Lancers: Still an Issue AGAINST OTHER FUCKING CAVALRY
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 10:55:20 pm »
Seeing as nobody reads, I'm going to lock the thread.